Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Read about the couple who just won £32m on the lottery. Apparently, they found out they had won a week before they claimed the prize. Why? Because they were getting their house decorated and had packed all their stuff in boxes so thought it was easier to wait until the painter had finished. So the husband carried the ticket around in his wallet for a week!

Seriously? I'm still trying to think of a good reason not to claim right away but have drawn a blank. Defies logic to me.

And they lost almost £13 grand interest! Who was painting the hoose, Picasso?

Read about the couple who just won £32m on the lottery. Apparently, they found out they had won a week before they claimed the prize. Why? Because they were getting their house decorated and had packed all their stuff in boxes so thought it was easier to wait until the painter had finished. So the husband carried the ticket around in his wallet for a week!

Seriously? I'm still trying to think of a good reason not to claim right away but have drawn a blank. Defies logic to me.

And they lost almost £13 grand interest! Who was painting the hoose, Picasso?

I think it's important to not claim it right away, almost the worst thing you can do. I remember reading how big lottery winners are substantially at higher risk of things like short-term bankruptcy, acrimonious divorce, death and suicide.

You give yourself time to get your shit in order, get over the initial shock/scenes, get a lawyer, financial planner, get everything mapped out, thought through, safety nets put in place, strategy to deal with the inevitable moochers that crawl out of the woodwork, strategy for dealing with family and friendships, etc.

Edited by banana

Yes banana why does that matter how long it takes to claim the prize? Most people would want the money in their bank before planning this especially when you can lose the ticket, just the general paranoia of having the winning ticket on you would drive most insane

Yes banana why does that matter how long it takes to claim the prize? Most people would want the money in their bank before planning this especially when you can lose the ticket, just the general paranoia of having the winning ticket on you would drive most insane

Did the daft c***s go in to work that week or throw a sickie?

I'd have been on the other side of the world by now working out how much I need to live off when I get back then splitting the rest with family & friends.

Grimbo

The lottery organisers themselves stress the importance of getting in touch immediately. Agreed you need to get your ducks in a row but FFS claim the money first...you could be robbed, lose the ticket - imagine the stress of carrying that ticket in your wallet for a week - it's the equivalent of carring the cash.

Anyhow, it's not so much not claiming the cash right away, it's the reason - getting the house painted - I guess they maybe wanted it looking good for the publicity photos!

Did the daft c***s go in to work that week or throw a sickie?

I'd have been on the other side of the world by now working out how much I need to live off when I get back then splitting the rest with family & friends.

Grimbo

Like those c***s who say they wouldn't let winning the lottery or pools (still around?) change them - shouldn't be allowed to buy a ticket then IMO.

Get stuff in order before claiming? I'd be waiting at the Camelot office for it opening to get the money and on the next plane out of here!

Wait a week to get your shit in order, by f**k.

:lol: Dunno why but I laughed loudly at this. And I'm sitting on a train. The woman across from me must think I'm mental.

Bollocks to waiting around and strategising. It'll take a few days or so presumably for them to arrange the funds to clear to you anyway, so you can worry about jotting down the particulars on a notepad while it clears. Get the fucking thing banked. People who say they'll still go to work after winning a big sum disgust me. Or the first thing they'll do is go on a cruise. People are idiots.

:lol:

You are, coincidentally enough, one of the biggest idiots on this site, so I guess it's appropriate that you tried to have a dig at me by neglecting to quote the part of my post where I said "cash it in and work out the details while you wait for it to clear", not simply "don't bother to strategise!".

Fanny.