Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Im hoping the masses of pie and bovril can help me.

Does anyone know if you can pay an amount towards land and buildings tax before submission of the actual tax return?

Scenario is I have just been hit with a hefty fine for late submission. My lawyer had the money before the transaction went through. They send stuff via letter rather than email. They sent the return to sign. We had just had a new baby so didnt send it back in time. The guy never phoned and never specified in the letters that it needed to be sent back by a specific date. So been hit with a penalty for late submission and late payment.

Advice welcome please

Nup. Think you’re stuck M77. The reason they send via paper is it needs an actual signature. I stand to be corrected but I think Scotland is about to allow digital signatures but think we’re a wee bit away from it yet. A bit poor that he didn’t chase it but ultimately it’s your responsibility I’m afraid.

Nup. Think you’re stuck M77. The reason they send via paper is it needs an actual signature. I stand to be corrected but I think Scotland is about to allow digital signatures but think we’re a wee bit away from it yet. A bit poor that he didn’t chase it but ultimately it’s your responsibility I’m afraid.

The majority of penalty is due to the late payment. However, we paid it across to him on the date the house went through. So it sat in their account for 8 weeks. They sent a couple of letters saying “send back just as soon as possible’. Never once mentioned the deadline

19 hours ago, alta-pete said:

18 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Apparently you need to sign in duplicate.

23 hours ago, Aufc said:

Im hoping the masses of pie and bovril can help me.

Does anyone know if you can pay an amount towards land and buildings tax before submission of the actual tax return?

Scenario is I have just been hit with a hefty fine for late submission. My lawyer had the money before the transaction went through. They send stuff via letter rather than email. They sent the return to sign. We had just had a new baby so didnt send it back in time. The guy never phoned and never specified in the letters that it needed to be sent back by a specific date. So been hit with a penalty for late submission and late payment.

Advice welcome please

Go to the Daily Record with a sad photo of you signing a bit of paper, looking broke. 

ETA: hold the new born as well. 

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

Like any Kingdom natives would ever even consider Dundeh. Folk try to move up the ladder, not down and we’ve the country’s capital a short train journey over the water for when we feel like a trip out of the Kingdom. Fuckin’ Dundee [emoji23]

Complain to the law firm and threaten to get the Ombudsman involved if they don't recompense you. If you weren't advised there was a deadline then his/her advice likely fell below the standard expected of a reasonably competent solicitor, so they're likely liable. Get them to pay the fine. I ken his/her job title is solicitor but that doesn't mean they're not just your average joe, a bit simple, capable of making mistakes, and they should reimburse you for that.

Source: I practice international law, job title is attorney, but more or less a solicitor.

9 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Complain to the law firm and threaten to get the Ombudsman involved if they don't recompense you. If you weren't advised there was a deadline then his/her advice likely fell below the standard expected of a reasonably competent solicitor, so they're likely liable. Get them to pay the fine. I ken his/her job title is solicitor but that doesn't mean they're not just your average joe, a bit simple, capable of making mistakes, and they should reimburse you for that.

Source: I practice international law, job title is attorney, but more or less a solicitor.

^^^ Giovanni di Stefano found... 

19 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Like any Kingdom natives would ever even consider Dundeh. Folk try to move up the ladder, not down and we’ve the country’s capital a short train journey over the water for when we feel like a trip out of the Kingdom. Fuckin’ Dundee emoji23.png

You wouldn't catch folk in Dundee raking the streets for Brussels Sprouts, that's for sure. 

On 16/12/2019 at 19:02, Aufc said:

The majority of penalty is due to the late payment. However, we paid it across to him on the date the house went through. So it sat in their account for 8 weeks. They sent a couple of letters saying “send back just as soon as possible’. Never once mentioned the deadline

I had to do a LBTT form when they first came along for an office transaction. Couldn't find a lawyer who could help me and the helpdesk was exclusively staffed by muppets who could not help in any way. I even posted on here for help creating a password as it was so convoluted. I didn't have anything to pay, it was simply a case of sending them a bit of paper. By the time I found a lawyer who knew how to do it I got a fine fine for £1000 for late submission of a bit of paper that said I didn't have any money to pay. 

Last week I gained possession of numerous KFC hot sauce tubs. I tried them on a ham roll and it was absolutely vile. I was going to turf them out but dipped some hot cooked chicken in it last night - superb. Some pizza dipped in one tonight - superb, again.