Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Good. Glad to hear it's working already. I picked out the national trust and the church for special attention in my own we paragraph where I got to let rip emoji23.png

Honestly man, never has there been a clearer micro picture of the nick of this fucking country than the fact that fox hunting has such a high political profile, and that it hasnt been clamped down on with jail sentences. Its Tory England in a nutshell.

I'm a big fan or the National Trust for Scotland so would hope that they already forbid hunting on their land but would hope they follow NT. 

I've no idea why the Church have so much land? I think they are least likely to act.

It's such a sick sport I don't know if you've even been unlucky enough to see the end of a hunt, I was nearly sick, I have no idea how anyone has any enjoyment from it but you're right Tory England up to no good.

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

I'm a big fan or the National Trust for Scotland so would hope that they already forbid hunting on their land but would hope they follow NT. 

I've no idea why the Church have so much land? I think they are least likely to act.

It's such a sick sport I don't know if you've even been unlucky enough to see the end of a hunt, I was nearly sick, I have no idea how anyone has any enjoyment from it but you're right Tory England up to no good.

I think it probably stems from the reformation, all the land belonging to the Roman Catholic church would have been appropriated by the protestant churches.

I would have thought the anglican church would be more in favour of hunting than the presbyterian church, but that is just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think it probably stems from the reformation, all the land belonging to the Roman Catholic church would have been appropriated by the protestant churches.

I would have thought the anglican church would be more in favour of hunting than the presbyterian church, but that is just my opinion.

Your probably spot on about the reformation, I hadn't thought about that.

As for the flavour of church I have pretty much no idea the difference and if I'm honest no intrest they all believe in the same god so I have no idea why they split up. 

I would have thought ripping creatures apart for fun would be against Christian values but then, the Church have never been averse to hypocrisy from their inception, given that it is literally nothing more than a profit making organisation/cult.

Just now, 101 said:

As for the flavour of church I have pretty much no idea the difference and if I'm honest no intrest they all believe in the same god so I have no idea why they split up. 

That would probably entail a new thread...

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That would probably entail a new thread...

Probably, Im lucky being a fifer that I've never seen sectarianism other than when 2 scottish football teams come to town. as for the other flavours of Jesus' teachings I really don't know or care about what their up to. But if they could stop killing things on their land that would be a start. 

I find the whole idea of foxhunting revolting, but compared to what they do multiple times every second in slaughterhouses to animals who spend their whole lives in cages, in many cases anyway, it's not huge in my list of things to be outraged about. On top of that I eat meat and make little effort to find out where it came from, so I'm a hypocrite as well.

Edited by welshbairn

30 minutes ago, 101 said:

The Church of Smoky Bacon is my go to at this time of year. 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I find the whole idea of foxhunting revolting, but compared to what they do multiple times every second in slaughterhouses to animals who spend their whole lives in cages, in many cases anyway, it's not huge in my list of things to be outraged about. On top of that I eat meat and make little effort to find out where it came from, so I'm a hypocrite as well.

Don't worry.

It hasn't gone unnoticed. 

;)

Edited by ICTJohnboy

How so?
Nothing more than a profit making organisation? Literally nothing more? Try telling a minister counseling a grieving widow that he's just doing it for the cash (which in Scotland is less than median wage).

The CoS is hardly flush with money. Their legacy of crumbling listed buildings is a financial millstone. Nobody in the kirk treats it like a money making organisation, they're putting fingers in dykes.

Outwith Scotland there are plenty of places where churches operate under threat of death. They aren't doing that for the money.

For the record I'm an atheist and struggle to understand how someone could believe in a god but I think religion gets way too harsh a deal on P&B and I figured it needed a defence. It's massively flawed but it does do a lot of good.

Nothing more than a profit making organisation? Literally nothing more? Try telling a minister counseling a grieving widow that he's just doing it for the cash (which in Scotland is less than median wage).

The CoS is hardly flush with money. Their legacy of crumbling listed buildings is a financial millstone. Nobody in the kirk treats it like a money making organisation, they're putting fingers in dykes.

Outwith Scotland there are plenty of places where churches operate under threat of death. They aren't doing that for the money.

For the record I'm an atheist and struggle to understand how someone could believe in a god but I think religion gets way too harsh a deal on P&B and I figured it needed a defence. It's massively flawed but it does do a lot of good.
Perhaps it does a lot of good at the ground level. I'd suggest that's down to individuals and occurs despite, not because of, the fact that they represent something that was built to control, manipulate and earn. Plenty of good guys work for Amazon. Doesnt mean Amazon is a benevolent entity

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

As much as I agree with you here, I do sometimes wonder just now much a minister would really care if he/she didn't have this (once perceived) 'job for life'.  As somebody who's fairly content with the basics with no intention of being flash, It comes across as a fairly cooshy number tbh.

There have to be a few ministers out there that have gradually seen past the childhood indoctrination but keep shtum for fear of having to find another job.   FWIW, I used to briefly work alongside a colleague who knew that her creationist views were completely incompatible with her day-to-day work, but she chose to carry on with the work because, and I quote: "it pays good money".  

Perhaps it does a lot of good at the ground level. I'd suggest that's down to individuals and occurs despite, not because of, the fact that they represent something that was built to control, manipulate and earn. Plenty of good guys work for Amazon. Doesnt mean Amazon is a benevolent entity
I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure the early church had it pretty tough for a good few centuries. Just look at our flag.
As much as I agree with you here, I do sometimes wonder just now much a minister would really care if he/she didn't have this (once perceived) 'job for life'.  As somebody who's fairly content with the basics with no intention of being flash, It comes across as a fairly cooshy number tbh.
There have to be a few ministers out there that have gradually seen past the childhood indoctrination but keep shtum for fear of having to find another job.   FWIW, I used to briefly work alongside a colleague who knew that her creationist views were completely incompatible with her day-to-day work, but she chose to carry on with the work because, and I quote: "it pays good money".  
I guess the counter argument to that is that there are a great many people worldwide who have very strong faith in religion and don't get paid a penny for it. It's also not uncommon for people religious or otherwise to help strangers or those in the community without compensation.

I guess the counter argument to that is that there are a great many people worldwide who have very strong faith in religion and don't get paid a penny for it. It's also not uncommon for people religious or otherwise to help strangers or those in the community without compensation.
It's the organised aspect of it I have an issue with. Manipulation of people in order to control and profit. A religious person may be good, (though I would contend they would find their own morals without religion) but that doesnt mean religion is good. As a concept, it is a pile of shite.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
10 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

It's the organised aspect of it I have an issue with. Manipulation of people in order to control and profit. A religious person may be good, (though I would contend they would find their own morals without religion) but that doesnt mean religion is good. As a concept, it is a pile of shite.

I agree.  Re your earlier post, I think it’s more about control than money, though money makes it easier to exercise control.  Religious coercion on issues such as sexuality and anti-feminism is still one of the plagues of modern society, particularly when we have people using their religion in pursuit of bias.  “Yes I can be homophobic because my imaginary sky fairy says so” is still too common and too often defended.

’Good’ people would be good without their religion, as will bad.