Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Not sure where else to put this, but this is a really interesting article on the ownership structure of a new national lacrosse league in America from Nate Silver's hellsite. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-premier-lacrosse-league-is-trying-to-change-the-game/

The idea of players holding ownership stakes in leagues is probably a concept that's going to become more popular.

Just found out my old PE teacher died this morning. Pretty shocking (and shit) news given he would only be in his 40's and still in very good shape; actually had a heart attack while out running apparently. One of the good guys. Used to play for Annan Athletic as well so I imagine they'll have something up soon enough.

Really hard watching an account of the Dunblane massacre again. 16 lovely 5 year old kids and their lovely teacher wiped out, for no good reason or explanation that anyone could come up with.

25 years later it's still utterly shocking.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

38 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Tomorrow will be my 42nd anniversary of starting work.

I say starting...

Thank f*** my 42nd anniversary of starting work has been eclipsed by my second anniversary of retiring.

43 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Congratulations! Do you still take the same peece?

30 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Thank f*** my 42nd anniversary of starting work has been eclipsed by my second anniversary of retiring.

Of course I was practically a "boy soldier" at 16 and a few months. I qualified for luncheon vouchers, 15p a day, so pieces were unnecessary. I broke service to venture into private sector freedom, but failed to thrive and clambered back in to public service. When I'd left I was just about to qualify for a Mappin and Webb voucher for an item of my choice. I'll always regret that.

42 fucking years and what do I have to show for it? Fūck all, that's what and still 9 to go!

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Of course I was practically a "boy soldier" at 16 and a few months. I qualified for luncheon vouchers, 15p a day, so pieces were unnecessary. I broke service to venture into private sector freedom, but failed to thrive and clambered back in to public service. When I'd left I was just about to qualify for a Mappin and Webb voucher for an item of my choice. I'll always regret that.

42 fucking years and what do I have to show for it? Fūck all, that's what and still 9 to go!

I've f*** all to show for it, too, but you've 9 years to rectify that.

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

51 years of graft? f**k that.

40 years of work for me not a day more, book mark this post for review on 9th October 2057, I'll be 60 and 3 months and be smoking more cigars than the covid thread.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.f7af5ff4c7ab911405d86611dc4c31b9.png

Edited by 101

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

51 years of graft? f**k that.

40 years of work for me not a day more, book mark this post for review on 9th October 2057, I'll be 60 and 3 months and be smoking more cigars than the covid thread.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.f7af5ff4c7ab911405d86611dc4c31b9.png

If I'd stayed in the civil service continuously I could go at 60, but I fücked that up. The preserved pension I have will still be payable, so I could go part time and hang about hoping they think they'd be better to pay me off.

6 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

What makes you think he'll break the habit of a lifetime?

It's never too late to turn over a new leaf.

Well, I suppose it is in my case.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If I'd stayed in the civil service continuously I could go at 60, but I fücked that up. The preserved pension I have will still be payable, so I could go part time and hang about hoping they think they'd be better to pay me off.

You just need to hope your team changes so often you're left like they guy who went to work 5 days a week pissed about and eventually retired but no one knew what he did and he had no work to do. 

My problem is my pension is tied to the state pension age so can't really plan on relying on my workplace pension but hopefully will be have been mortgage free for a while then and I can sell my ties.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

You just need to hope your team changes so often you're left like they guy who went to work 5 days a week pissed about and eventually retired but no one knew what he did and he had no work to do. 

My problem is my pension is tied to the state pension age so can't really plan on relying on my workplace pension but hopefully will be have been mortgage free for a while then and I can sell my ties.

Even back in 1979 ties were not compulsory, so I never built up a collection. Even when career progression advice at the time was that wearing one was a good start.

I started at the bottom and liked it so much I've stayed there.

Pension provision has changed a few times. I'll have one at 60, 65 and 67 before state pension at 67 as well. I'll retire in instalments. If we keep working from home no-one will spot the difference.

Unless they make me redundant (good) or I die (bad).

I am a civil servant too and reading @Sergeant Wilson’s posts I sometimes wonder if we work in the same department because every tired and cynical moan rings true with me. Anyway, I recently read about and applied for something called an EPA  and if I pay 50 quid extra a month for the next few years (I’m late 40’s) I can shave 2 years off my retirement age. Count me in.

I have my old final salary pension that I built up for about 10  years and then the new career average one. A big attraction for me when I joined was the stability and pension, and also quite frankly working as a public servant rather than for some rapacious c*nt was a big motivation for me.

8 minutes ago, Snobot said:

I am a civil servant too and reading @Sergeant Wilson’s posts I sometimes wonder if we work in the same department because every tired and cynical moan rings true with me. Anyway, I recently read about and applied for something called an EPA  and if I pay 50 quid extra a month for the next few years (I’m late 40’s) I can shave 2 years off my retirement age. Count me in.

I have my old final salary pension that I built up for about 10  years and then the new career average one. A big attraction for me when I joined was the stability and pension, and also quite frankly working as a public servant rather than for some rapacious c*nt was a big motivation for me.

I'll give you tired and cynical. I'm sunshine personified compared to some.

11 minutes ago, Snobot said:

I have my old final salary pension

Jammy b*****d.

24 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Even back in 1979 ties were not compulsory, so I never built up a collection. Even when career progression advice at the time was that wearing one was a good start.

I started at the bottom and liked it so much I've stayed there.

Pension provision has changed a few times. I'll have one at 60, 65 and 67 before state pension at 67 as well. I'll retire in instalments. If we keep working from home no-one will spot the difference.

Unless they make me redundant (good) or I die (bad).

Never too late to don a tie, although perhaps a bit much for working from home.

Good luck with retirement/ redundancy/ avoiding the reaper