Procycling thread

myshkin

19 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Was weird (but good!) having Boulting and of course Boardman on the BBC coverage (which I assume was some kind of UCI World Feed?). Was also strange hearing Ned say that he'd been speaking to Millar that morning but him not being alongside him.

I went along to the event at the Arches they had on. Guests were really good and had some really interesting stories. 

The crowd was pretty fucking grim though. Shout out the table next to me who were basically shouting along their table to each other while the interviews were ongoing.

5 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

Yorkshire 2019

Flanders

Basque County

Catalunya

Etc 

Other than Catalunya do they claim to be actual countries? We do, but we accept not being treated as one.

Anyway, it's amazing what they can do on them, but BMX bikes are still daft wee kids' bikes.

32 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Other than Catalunya do they claim to be actual countries? We do, but we accept not being treated as one.

Anyway, it's amazing what they can do on them, but BMX bikes are still daft wee kids' bikes.

Basque Country certainly used to (or at least had a sizeable chunk). Flanders and Waloonia are sufficiently diametrically opposed that it once took Belgium longer to form a government than post-Saddam Iraq.....

22 hours ago, kiddy said:

Just think on cycling’s sponsorship deals, then wonder why it was targeted?🙄🤷‍♂️

Ah, that makes it ok then.

The irony is that more people cycling is the way to go.

They should have put wooden boards down and gone over the top of them.

Edited to add:

I would have supported the attention seekers 100% if they'd glued themselves to the road in front of the Orange Walk in Glasgow.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

48 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Ah, that makes it ok then.

The irony is that more people cycling is the way to go.

They should have put wooden boards down and gone over the top of them.

Edited to add:

I would have supported the attention seekers 100% if they'd glued themselves to the road in front of the Orange Walk in Glasgow.

They like concrete...just get a jigger running behind the peleton for next Sundays ladies race

The tv cameras didn’t even properly pick up how steep Montrose street actually is, from their angles it more like Hope Street when it’s actually so much worse. Been on a coach coming back from the football going up it more than a few times and the driver managing to get up it from a standing start is genuinely impressive. 

On 06/08/2023 at 18:10, Gnash said:

Rode out to the Crow Road and watched from there.  Glad it stayed dry while the protest was going on otherwise I would have frozen.

Great win for MVDP, shame for WVA to come second to him yet again.

I'm thinking of cycling out to there for the Women's race on Sunday. Good place to watch it?

1 hour ago, printer said:

I'm thinking of cycling out to there for the Women's race on Sunday. Good place to watch it?

I'm planning to watch from the road west of Lennoxtown (I live nearby and can cycle there). You'll see them close up going past but should get a distant view of them hammering down fae the Crow Road. I once descended that on my old bike like a timid librarian heading home from evensong, brakes scraping hard all the way...

2 hours ago, printer said:

I trundled over Crow Road on Friday and there are a few tracks which branch off which you can stand at and you're better off on the uphill side towards Fintry. Watching it yesterday there were plenty of folk with bikes watching from the grass verges so you wouldn't be stuck for a place. Depending where you're coming from, you'd be able to drive along and park near Carron Valley Reservoir if you don't fancy going all the way over the Crow.

Wondered why there were so few endurance track events in the first few days of the championships... then today I see the BBC coverage starts the women's madison with 45 laps left out of 120.  Then I find there's a whole load of other endurance events they didn't even bother showing!

Fúcking useless.  Eurosport from now on.

20 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

The men's road race yesterday was on the BBC Scotland channel with coverage starting on BBC 1 at 2.20pm. You wonder how many people in the rest of the UK knew they could have been watching it from the start.

Tbh I played golf on Sunday morning and didn't even give the BBC a second thought, it was straight on to Eurosport as soon as I got in.

I figured the red button would be the place to go, as they can't even broadcast every minute of their supposed flagship events like Wimbledon. Something like 960 on the Sky planner, so was able to record the Men's road race.

No adverts and Ned Boulting and Chris Boardman in the booth.

Edited by Salvo Montalbano

Yes, picked up on that. A few minutes later they showed a small pond/lochan and declared it as Bardowie Loch. The footage then showed the real Bardowie Loch without a word spoken. It makes you wonder how much of the chat in the Tour de France coverage is nonsense although I have to say the coverage on Sunday was excellent. 

35 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Yes, picked up on that. A few minutes later they showed a small pond/lochan and declared it as Bardowie Loch. The footage then showed the real Bardowie Loch without a word spoken. It makes you wonder how much of the chat in the Tour de France coverage is nonsense although I have to say the coverage on Sunday was excellent. 

ITV have that Dutch fella that does his segments on the geology of regions of France. And from listening to Never Strays Far they have a big book about chateaus & cathedrals that they refer to for whatever they happen to be going past. 

18 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

The men's road race yesterday was on the BBC Scotland channel with coverage starting on BBC 1 at 2.20pm. You wonder how many people in the rest of the UK knew they could have been watching it from the start.

Coverage in the media and promotion has generally been utterly shit.