Procycling thread

myshkin

13 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I figured the red button would be the place to go, as they can't even broadcast every minute of their supposed flagship events like Wimbledon. Something like 960 on the Sky planner, so was able to record the Men's road race.

No adverts and Ned Boulting and Chris Boardman in the booth.

12 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

They had clearly been fed a lot of duff info on the geography of the area, mind you, eg, the Campsies being 'granite'...

11 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Yes, picked up on that. A few minutes later they showed a small pond/lochan and declared it as Bardowie Loch. The footage then showed the real Bardowie Loch without a word spoken. It makes you wonder how much of the chat in the Tour de France coverage is nonsense although I have to say the coverage on Sunday was excellent. 

2 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

Coverage in the media and promotion has generally been utterly shit. 

I’m just amazed that Scotland hosts events & UK media seem to think they must import a complete media circus to commentate, as The Scotch can’t do it themselves.

Just how Pippa York & Graeme Obree haven’t been included is beyond me.

47 minutes ago, kiddy said:

I’m just amazed that Scotland hosts events & UK media seem to think they must import a complete media circus to commentate, as The Scotch can’t do it themselves.

Don't get me started, East Ayrshire Corrupt Council have been a disgrace regarding Graeme Obree. Naming the local cycle route after Chris Hoy is fuxking inexcusable.

1 hour ago, kilMARKnock said:

Don't get me started, East Ayrshire Corrupt Council have been a disgrace regarding Graeme Obree. Naming the local cycle route after Chris Hoy is fuxking inexcusable.

It grinds my gears, the fawning over Boardman, as if he’s a font of cycling knowledge too.

2 hours ago, kiddy said:

I mean.... I have no issue with established commentators who regularly cover cycle events being present. I would say I'm surprised David Millar wasn't on comms for the men's RR as he has been in the past. Speaking about Men's RR specifically - I think NB & CB are almost unanimously liked so don't see the problem?

I notice Pippa York has been very absent from TdF coverage of late so no surprises she's not been on comms. That said, I know her and Ned did an event in Glasgow. Could it be a conscious objection to the UCI's stance on various issues? [This is purely speculation!!]

I think Calum Skinner was on comms for some of the track cycling?

Also - I'm only speaking for the BBC coverage I have seen.

My issues with the coverage is not whilst it's happening it's that there's been almost zero buildup in advance and 80% of the news articles are people complaining that they're inconvenienced, despite this being known about for months. 

And also - does Graeme Obree even do comms? I'm trying to cast my mind back but struggling tbh 

Edited by Stylish Kid

Aye given the level of interest amongst my friends (many of whom aren't big sport fans let alone pro cycling fans), the size of the event and the big names participating, I've been disappointed by the lack of media coverage. I never see trailers for it on the BBC yet they'll trail the Women's World Cup, the cricket, podcasts, etc. The papers don't seem to have much in them either. Sad. I'm just annoyed it's come at a time for me when I've got a toddler and a wife who has a lot on at work so I've not been able to go to the velodrome or watch the RR in person.

Speaking of big names (after a fashion), I see Alexander Vinokourov won the Male 50-54 category in the Gran Fondo. Seems weird that they have medals for a mass participation event and that ex-pros can take part (and take it seriously) and that they give out a rainbow Jersey for it and there's obviously a few folk not happy that this particular ex-pro won but there you go.

16 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Aye given the level of interest amongst my friends (many of whom aren't big sport fans let alone pro cycling fans), the size of the event and the big names participating, I've been disappointed by the lack of media coverage. I never see trailers for it on the BBC yet they'll trail the Women's World Cup, the cricket, podcasts, etc. The papers don't seem to have much in them either. Sad. I'm just annoyed it's come at a time for me when I've got a toddler and a wife who has a lot on at work so I've not been able to go to the velodrome or watch the RR in person.

Speaking of big names (after a fashion), I see Alexander Vinokourov won the Male 50-54 category in the Gran Fondo. Seems weird that they have medals for a mass participation event and that ex-pros can take part (and take it seriously) and that they give out a rainbow Jersey for it and there's obviously a few folk not happy that this particular ex-pro won but there you go.

Yep that's exactly my beef. And fine I get cycling is a relative minority sport (e.g. see live TDF relegated to ITV4 in favour of Bargin Hunt), but I would have expected more in the press. It was the same with the Tour de Yorkshire (RIP) - I recall the local BBC sorted a live blog but unfortunately it was just a local reporter so rather tahn updates like "such and such is in the break" it was "heres some pictures of some school kids with home made banners in Staithes". Ok I ramble but my issue is that nothing in any papers etc in the build up. Perhaps UCI's press team just assumes an interest level?

As for the GF - I am surprised as you. I remember reading some years ago that ex pros now avoided the Gran Fondo circuit because you just lose to juiced-up bank managers (minimal testing).....😂

BBC Scotland show interviews with folk moaning about the road closures then expect the public to give a shit about the relatively small amount of coverage on the main channel. It's utterly bananas.

As I said previously, it's the highest quality sports event to ever happen on Scottish soil apart from the Champions League final and the Opens in golf. But there's been some days Reporting Scotland has barely mentioned it happening. 

14 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

I mean.... I have no issue with established commentators who regularly cover cycle events being present. I would say I'm surprised David Millar wasn't on comms for the men's RR as he has been in the past. Speaking about Men's RR specifically - I think NB & CB are almost unanimously liked so don't see the problem?

I notice Pippa York has been very absent from TdF coverage of late so no surprises she's not been on comms. That said, I know her and Ned did an event in Glasgow. Could it be a conscious objection to the UCI's stance on various issues? [This is purely speculation!!]

I think Calum Skinner was on comms for some of the track cycling?

Also - I'm only speaking for the BBC coverage I have seen.

My issues with the coverage is not whilst it's happening it's that there's been almost zero buildup in advance and 80% of the news articles are people complaining that they're inconvenienced, despite this being known about for months. 

And also - does Graeme Obree even do comms? I'm trying to cast my mind back but struggling tbh 

Ms York has been doing summarizing lately on GCN

UK (media wise) sports is being dominated by the so called Lionesses..

Lets be honest the BBC doesn't give a f*ck about Scotland

1 hour ago, sparky88 said:

BBC Scotland show interviews with folk moaning about the road closures then expect the public to give a shit about the relatively small amount of coverage on the main channel. It's utterly bananas.

As I said previously, it's the highest quality sports event to ever happen on Scottish soil apart from the Champions League final and the Opens in golf. But there's been some days Reporting Scotland has barely mentioned it happening. 

Speaking of which, I was volunteering on a crossing at Buchanan Street/Gordon Street yesterday, in the morning when it was just circuit familiarisation. Several people weren't happy they couldn't actually cross Buchanan Street itself there. A few angry "sh*tes" and "f*****g jokes" were muttered.

Then one wee guy stuck his finger in my face and aggressively informed me "these are our streets, no' yours ya b*****d!". Proceeded to march up the correct way then hopped the barriers at both sides, giving the second one a good kick, before leaving me with a stare and a "ya p***k". 😅

Edited by printer

1 minute ago, printer said:

Speaking of which, I was volunteering on a crossing at the corner of Buchanan Street and Gordon Street yesterday, in the morning when it was just circuit familiarisation. Several people weren't happy they couldn't actually cross Buchanan Street itself there. A few angry "sh*tes" and "f*****g jokes" were muttered.

Then one wee guy stuck his finger in my face and aggressively informed me "these are our streets, no' yours ya b*****d!". Proceeded to march up the correct way then hopped the barriers at both sides, giving the second one a good kick, before leaving me with a stare and a "ya p***k". 😅

Ach sorry to hear that. So unnecessary 

Just now, Stylish Kid said:

Ach sorry to hear that. So unnecessary 

Aye. Most folk were of course great and up for a laugh.

Other highlight was Alan Rough asking me about the different races. Tried to explain the Mixed TTT Relay to him, but not sure he got it. He was pleasant though.

1 hour ago, printer said:

Aye. Most folk were of course great and up for a laugh.

Other highlight was Alan Rough asking me about the different races. Tried to explain the Mixed TTT Relay to him, but not sure he got it. He was pleasant though.

I remember volunteering at the Grand Depart in Yorkshire and asking people to move into the verge and off the road. Shortly after this one of the commissiare's cars came flying round the corner and the woman I'd asked to move was obviously scandalized, informing me that the "driver was going far too fast". I had to politely explain that it was necessary as there were 180 cyclists travelling at the same speed not far behind.... 😂

I actually think the BBC coverage has been quite decent at explain what each event is in simple terms for people new to the sport 

Edited by Stylish Kid

I've enjoyed all the different disciplines, it's really refreshing to see the parasports included in the same schedule as it really helps their profile, that said the profile of the entire event which is probably on a similar scale to the commonwealth games has been really poor from the BBC with a real lack of coverage.