Gigs

pilsner_ffc

44 minutes ago, marty_j said:

Really? Anyone confirm that?

I've been in there a few times when they've taken the seating out. Ryan Adams last year and Jack White a couple of years back definitely. I would imagine they would do the same for an act like Frank Turner.

Edinburgh Metal Party tonight! Crossfaith and Hacktivist on the same bill is wonderful stuff.

I really can't stand Hacktivist but Crossfaith were amazing, fifth time I've seen them and I'd put them up there as one of the best live bands I've ever seen.

I really can't stand Hacktivist but Crossfaith were amazing, fifth time I've seen them and I'd put them up there as one of the best live bands I've ever seen.

Loved both. Particularly liked seeing Pit Troll again. Guy's huge. Seen him a fair bit down at DL too.

EDIT: Also thought Perpetua were great.

That was a disappointment.

Started badly and went downhill. Venue Facebook page says that the gig runs from 7:30 to 10:30. Im not big on support acts unless I know who they are and I'm on my jack jones so decide to try and catch the headliner only. Arrived at the venue pushing 8:20 and its still the first support act. Some earnest hipster w**k from Chicago who spent the last month soundtracking a puppet show in Edinburgh. Oh joy. Im not in the mood for self indulgent guitar and effects soundscapes at the best of times...

So 20 minute break and on comes the 2nd support. Some utterly cringe worthy 3rd rate piano lounge cabaret tribute act. All very sincere. Including the spoken word monologue in their opening number. Its the kind of set that a satirist would come up with if they wanted to take the piss out of overly earnest and angst-ridden 3rd rate piano lounge cabaret acts.

By this point the venue is filling up - the headliner has sold out tonight. Karl Blau and band take to the stage just after 10. Not great since its a strict 11pm curfew. They proceed to open with a bizarre sing along rendition of King of the Road. The purpose of the tour is to promote "Introducing Karl Blau" - the rather fantastic covers album that is undoubtedly a highlight of 2016. Its the first night of the tour but perhaps a better name for the show would have been "introducing the band to the same fucking key". Its clear from the outset that the band are rusty and sound terrible. Its also clear that Blau is having vocal issues. He admits as much later and tells the crowd that he nearly cancelled the show. Given the way he and his band mangle the rest of the set, it may well have been the humane option. You couldn't get so much as a fag paper between people in the Hug and Pint basement tonight. That didn't stop folk trying to get to the bar throughout the show. In a triumph of hope over reality I even saw someone successfully carry 3 pints through the packed crowd without spilling a drop, this feat now more entertaining than the embarrassed looking Blau was on stage.

It was a dismal night. Such a shame as Blau's album is genuinely brilliant and needs to be heard. I stuck it out til the last song to hear his cover of Tom T Hall's "Thats How I Got To Memphis" but left long before the singer finished his rendition as by that point his voice was shot to hell. Its a bad night when you leave a gig thinking "I missed bake off for THIS?".

Scotland's best and Dundees finest The View supporting the best band in Britain, The Courteeners on the 19th November in Glasgow, I don't go to festivals so I've never had the chance to hear them both before.

Been to see them individually but absolutely buzzing to see them together.

Scotland's best and Dundees finest The View supporting the best band in Britain, The Courteeners on the 19th November in Glasgow, I don't go to festivals so I've never had the chance to hear them both before.

Been to see them individually but absolutely buzzing to see them together.

I'll be there, Litchie. Two of my favourite bands. Outstanding.

I'll be there, Litchie. Two of my favourite bands. Outstanding.

Great seeing the View do so well, I've seen them play in an Arbroath pub before way way back! :lol: Loved the Courteeners ever since St Jude, genuinely not any other 2 I would swap for them, brilliant that it's Glasgow again too. [emoji1360][emoji6]

I'll be seeing The View 3 times in the space of a couple of months. Next Thursday at Montrose Town Hall, the week after in Glasgow at the Barrowlands, and if I can get a ticket, I'll be seeing them with The Courteeners.

9 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

That was a disappointment.

Started badly and went downhill. Venue Facebook page says that the gig runs from 7:30 to 10:30. Im not big on support acts unless I know who they are and I'm on my jack jones so decide to try and catch the headliner only. Arrived at the venue pushing 8:20 and its still the first support act. Some earnest hipster w**k from Chicago who spent the last month soundtracking a puppet show in Edinburgh. Oh joy. Im not in the mood for self indulgent guitar and effects soundscapes at the best of times...

So 20 minute break and on comes the 2nd support. Some utterly cringe worthy 3rd rate piano lounge cabaret tribute act. All very sincere. Including the spoken word monologue in their opening number. Its the kind of set that a satirist would come up with if they wanted to take the piss out of overly earnest and angst-ridden 3rd rate piano lounge cabaret acts.

By this point the venue is filling up - the headliner has sold out tonight. Karl Blau and band take to the stage just after 10. Not great since its a strict 11pm curfew. They proceed to open with a bizarre sing along rendition of King of the Road. The purpose of the tour is to promote "Introducing Karl Blau" - the rather fantastic covers album that is undoubtedly a highlight of 2016. Its the first night of the tour but perhaps a better name for the show would have been "introducing the band to the same fucking key". Its clear from the outset that the band are rusty and sound terrible. Its also clear that Blau is having vocal issues. He admits as much later and tells the crowd that he nearly cancelled the show. Given the way he and his band mangle the rest of the set, it may well have been the humane option. You couldn't get so much as a fag paper between people in the Hug and Pint basement tonight. That didn't stop folk trying to get to the bar throughout the show. In a triumph of hope over reality I even saw someone successfully carry 3 pints through the packed crowd without spilling a drop, this feat now more entertaining than the embarrassed looking Blau was on stage.

It was a dismal night. Such a shame as Blau's album is genuinely brilliant and needs to be heard. I stuck it out til the last song to hear his cover of Tom T Hall's "Thats How I Got To Memphis" but left long before the singer finished his rendition as by that point his voice was shot to hell. Its a bad night when you leave a gig thinking "I missed bake off for THIS?".

I almost bought a ticket to this, and was still considering heading down just after doors before deciding against it. Lucky, I did by the sounds of things. That's an absolute gutter. The Hug & Pint is a great venue, but they do pack it to the point where sold out gigs are uncomfortable.

Anyone been to a gig using paperless tickets before? My mum got me a couple of tickets for Biffy in November, think I'll get away with just swiping her card or will I have to ask her to come to show her ID?

I would contact whoever she bought the tickets from and try and get them put in your name. It says the ID and the name on the ticket needs to match, but I'm not sure how strict they'll actually be.

36 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

I almost bought a ticket to this, and was still considering heading down just after doors before deciding against it. Lucky, I did by the sounds of things. That's an absolute gutter. The Hug & Pint is a great venue, but they do pack it to the point where sold out gigs are uncomfortable.

I think it was just a combination of bad circumstances. His voice was shot but that can happen to anybody. The band werent tight but it was the first night of the tour. Still a bummer that the gig was such a let down.

34 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I would contact whoever she bought the tickets from and try and get them put in your name. It says the ID and the name on the ticket needs to match, but I'm not sure how strict they'll actually be.

Ticketmaster make it quite clear they won't change the name from the cardholder unfortunately. Hoping they'd use common sense at the door if I had the card used to buy them and an ID with the same surname, but not sure how likely that is.

Edited by Meathead

Going to star shaped festival at the garage in Islington this weekend. Shed seven and the Bluetones, both doing acoustic sets, Saffron from republica with her band (not republica)Hurricane #1, Chris from the Seahorses and a few other Britpop kinda bands. Alan Magee and a few others djing too. Should be a decent waste of a few hours.