Gigs

pilsner_ffc

On 10/02/2024 at 13:10, Miguel Sanchez said:

There are people queuing for The 1975 at the Millennium Dome. The gig is on Monday night. There are three events at the venue at the weekend before The 1975.

There are people who still behave properly at gigs

On 12/02/2024 at 09:14, betting competition said:

I attended Hamish Hawk's performance at the Barras on Saturday, and it was an incredible gig that I anticipate will make it into my top 10 by the end of the year. My initial encounter with Hamish Hawk was in November 2021 at the Great Eastern Festival in Edinburgh, where he played an acoustic set at Summerhall and later performed at the Queen Hall on the same day. Witnessing the sold-out show at the Barras on Saturday was almost like a full circle moment.

I'm attending a Pip Blom concert at Oran Mor tonight.

Both of those are among my SxSW all time favourites.  Pip Blom’s album was a bit hit or miss for me, but her live show is great. 

27 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Hopefullythat was before Ticketmaster almost trebled the prices.

image.png.c9995c98d4e85cd61130707e238be772.png

Mrs Boo works from home for a bank and spoke to some guy earlier whose card was blocked by their system as he'd tried to buy 2 Wembley tickets for £630 each!! Think I'll give it a miss.

3 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Hopefullythat was before Ticketmaster almost trebled the prices.

image.png.c9995c98d4e85cd61130707e238be772.png

2 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Mrs Boo works from home for a bank and spoke to some guy earlier whose card was blocked by their system as he'd tried to buy 2 Wembley tickets for £630 each!! Think I'll give it a miss.

Rip off merchants...no got in early so normal price ( which is still a rip off )

29 minutes ago, Empty It said:

"Dynamic pricing" is the biggest bunch of price gouging shite I've ever heard of, Ticketmaster are now at the point that they're worse than the touts.

It's a shame how essential Ticketmaster has become. Some shows you have no choice but to use them even though I never would if there were other options available. 

1 hour ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

It's a shame how essential Ticketmaster has become. Some shows you have no choice but to use them even though I never would if there were other options available. 

There really isn't a competitor and as you say for most gigs there is no other option but to use Ticketmaster so they just charge what they want.

Between Ticketmaster and live nation the gig industry is rigged and the monopoly commission seemingly don’t give a flying f**k

Edit- I’ve done more research and it turns out they are now the same company, which had to get approval to merge with it looking dangerous to allow a major venue owner to join the major ticket seller, the 15 years since prove that decision has been a terrible move for the consumer 

Edited by parsforlife
More info

Ticket prices have just went absolutely bonkers in the last 10-15 years . Perhaps if you're going to see an absolutely once in a lifetime gig , like led zeppelin doing their reunion gigs in London or something like that I can understand eye watering prices . But for just a run of the mill gig you should never have to pay any more than about 50 quid for any artist.  What absolutely blew my mind a few years ago was the Mrs getting her wee sister tickets to see harry styles for her Christmas, £120 to see a guy who had literally only just released his first album , lucky if he had an hour's worth of material to use. 

This is what I used to pay. The mark up these days is wild. But maybe I'm the fool for paying it. Just for reference, I paid £26.50 for The Movielife this year, and £80 for Green Day this year. Look how much they've gone up.

(My sister found a lot of old tickets tonight and sent me the pictures, we've been reminiscing)

IMG-20240216-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20240216-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20240216-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20240216-WA0010.jpg

Aw man those tickets ! Got a pin board back at my dad's house filled with them . I was at those rhcp w/foos etc , muse and offspring gigs , tho my offspring ticket resembles paper mache as was down at the barrier and think it was the hottest sweatiest gig i've ever been to. Was going to use that gig on the green ticket as my example, £40 for a full day of some of the biggest bands in rock , easily the best value for money I've ever spent. What a great day that was ! 

On 16/02/2024 at 23:50, Craig fae the Vale said:

This is what I used to pay. The mark up these days is wild. But maybe I'm the fool for paying it. Just for reference, I paid £26.50 for The Movielife this year, and £80 for Green Day this year. Look how much they've gone up.

(My sister found a lot of old tickets tonight and sent me the pictures, we've been reminiscing)

IMG-20240216-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20240216-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20240216-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20240216-WA0010.jpg

Was that the Foos gig in 2002 with Cave In supporting?

If so, I was there.

GZA & the Funky Nomads last night at the QMU. First time I’ve been in there since 2007.

GZA is easily the best from the Wu collective. Makes it look effortless. Seen him before but last night, with the live band, was something different.

I said absolutely f**k that to a slipknot hydro gig about a decade ago at something like £50 standing,  there latest tour is well over double that, too many people still giving these robbing b*****ds their cash all while club level bands can barely make ends meet.

On club level bands, trophy eyes are playing cathouse in April which I'm desperately looking forward too, never been there but being a club night am I right to assume it will be a 10PM curfew? if so I may take the very rarely provided option to attend a gig via public transport.

Edited by parsforlife