Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Here's one for you regular gig goers. Any of you wear earplugs to gigs? I started having tinnitus and ear pain for days after gigs and I am terrified of damaging my hearing. I went to see Opeth on Tuesday and wore earplugs for the first time. I was amazed at how good it sounded. And of course, my ears weren't ringing after it.

Think I'm going to start wearing them from now on.

I saw someone with a pair in at The Killers and automatically thought he was a bit of a goon.

Here's one for you regular gig goers. Any of you wear earplugs to gigs? I started having tinnitus and ear pain for days after gigs and I am terrified of damaging my hearing. I went to see Opeth on Tuesday and wore earplugs for the first time. I was amazed at how good it sounded. And of course, my ears weren't ringing after it.

They were handed out on the way in to a My Bloody Valentine gig at the barrowlands a couple of years ago.

Was fuckin loud, mind.

They're probably pretty sensible in fairness.

I always wear them when I'm playing gigs, but not when I'm watching.

If the band and the sound engineer are sensible then there's really no need for the audience to be worried, you don't end up with ringing ears and you can actually hear the music. Sadly a lot of bands think loud = better which just isn't true.

It's been a long time actually since I've had ringing ears from a gig. Clubs on the other hand...

I saw someone with a pair in at The Killers and automatically thought he was a bit of a goon.

If you just go to gigs very occasionally then it's probably ok without but if you're at gigs more often or play in a band yourself then they're a pretty wise thing to get. Especially handy for rehearsals as they cut right down on those nasty high end frequencies from cymbals and guitar amps (which are responsible for the hissing you hear later) but let you hear the important stuff clearly. It's worth having a look around for decent ones as they can make all the difference.

Wouldnt say Im a regular gig goer, but I still wear them. Usually have a pair handy at festivals too.

I suffer ringing in my ears every now and then, and the thought of that being more frequent or permanent is terrifying.

Didn't as a teenager or in early 20s but got fed up with days of ringing after. Now don't go without them. No ringing or ear damage, and a far better sound.

Tend to think anyone who goes regularly and doesn't wear them is a bit of an idiot. Just asking for ear damage.

I've never worn them but I don't go to gigs that regularly. Twice I could've done with them - Dinosaur Jr at The Venue in Edinburgh 4/5 years ago. Ears were ringing the next day. Also a couple of weeks ago after Ty Segall I couldn't really hear out of my right ear the next day. I was standing pretty close to the amps mind you.

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

I usually go to two or three gigs a month and always wear earplugs. I actually can't go in the room when the band's playing without putting them in first. I always wear them at band practices and when I'm playing gigs too. As you said, the thought of hearing damage is terrifying - music's one of my main passions in life, and I want to be able to enjoy it for as long as possible!

Going to see Therapy? at the Garage a week on Friday and can't wait.

Bought their new album at the weekend and there are some quality tracks on there that I think will sound great live.

the setlist so far in Europe has been awesome going to see em in Newcastle a week today