Apostrophes

Denji

At university we often had to give give a half hour lecture on a topic that had been given to us by our seminar professor.

I wrote mine as an essay but didn't have time to actually read it aloud before the lecture.

If I had, I would instantly known that it was a really bad idea to start the lecture with the word "Tacitus's"

Took me about 6 goes to get past the first word.

At university we often had to give give a half hour lecture on a topic that had been given to us by our seminar professor.

I wrote mine as an essay but didn't have time to actually read it aloud before the lecture.

If I had, I would instantly known that it was a really bad idea to start the lecture with the word "Tacitus's"

Took me about 6 goes to get past the first word.

History or Classics?

Apostrophe abuse annoys me as much as people who drop litter or put their feet up on the seat in buses.

But I am an old miserable fucker.

Or is it miserable old fucker?

And c***s who spell definitely definAtely.

And there, their, they're mistakes.

And people who will pick up on the fact that I started sentences with a conjunction

And I should really get a life.

It's versus its

This always annoys me; part of me thinks "its" really should have an apostrophe too.

"In to" instead of "into" (and some seem to scoff at the usually correct "into") as well the effects of not using affect/effect correctly.

People who try and use semi-colons etc unnecessarily and use - completely inappropriate- parenthesis (I'm guilty of a lot of these)

Archived