8 hours ago, throbber said:

I don’t think Twitter needs a rival - Twitter is the platform about content you say/share, Facebook is where you document your actual life events, engage in community pages, keep in touch with old friends etc, Instagram is for photos, tiktok is for children and linked in is for career chat. I don’t think any of them need a rival.

I ditched facebook to preserve what was left of my sanity, and ended up on Pie & Bovril. 

12 minutes ago, IncomingExile said:

I ditched facebook to preserve what was left of my sanity, and ended up on Pie & Bovril. 

I browse through it occasionally but can’t be arsed with most of it. Prefer the actual discussion that goes on rather than seeing what people are doing with their life and that’s why it’s better on here/Twitter.

35 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

So, he fired most of his staff, then gets upset when they go to work for Meta and produce a twitter clone. 

Cry harder.

Threads is a bit basic at the moment, it does kinda look like they've released it earlier than they wanted because of all the issues Twitter has been having.

If they can provide a chronological feed, and have a feed just for people you follow, then it'll be fine.

17 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

If they can provide a chronological feed, and have a feed just for people you follow, then it'll be fine.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that, given everything that meta has done with Instagram and FB to make a chronological feed of stuff near impossible. They want you to look at what they tell you to look at. One of the main reasons I don't use Instagram is the lack of control over what you see. 

13 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Is Twitter back to normal now?  I'm still using the browser but i haven't seen any rate limit exceeded chat for a couple of days.

For me it's been working as normal on the app the last few days. 

8 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

I wouldn't hold my breath for that, given everything that meta has done with Instagram and FB to make a chronological feed of stuff near impossible. They want you to look at what they tell you to look at. One of the main reasons I don't use Instagram is the lack of control over what you see. 

Tbf im more bothered about them making it available on the web, rather than solely through an app.

My Twitter feed gets kind of samey after a while so i ended up in the "For You" section a fair bit anyway. 

10 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

You have to f**k up on a serious scale to have the majority of people cheering on the Zuck and enthusiastically rushing to get in on one of his products. 

The thing with Zuckerberg is, he's actually intelligent and fairly inoffensive.  That goes a long way with the public.  Sure he's fucked people over too, but at least he keeps a fairly low profile and seems kind of normal.

Musk is a right wing republican lunatic who's used daddy's money for everything he's ever done.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

The thing with Zuckerberg is, he's actually intelligent and fairly inoffensive.  That goes a long way with the public.  Sure he's fucked people over too, but at least he keeps a fairly low profile and seems kind of normal.

Musk is a right wing republican lunatic who's used daddy's money for everything he's ever done.

I agree with every word you just said but... 

Look at him. 

Mark-Zuckerberg-Spooks-the-Internet-With-Too-Much-Sunscreen-on-His-Face-in-Hawaii-01.jpg

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf im more bothered about them making it available on the web, rather than solely through an app.

My Twitter feed gets kind of samey after a while so i ended up in the "For You" section a fair bit anyway. 

I have to agree with you there. Twitter was cross platform, and any replacement needs to be the same. I prefer browser based things as it it at least gives me some privacy control via ad blockers etc.

Just got a scary notification from Google telling me how much I'd walked, driven, spent time in hotels, restaurants and bars in the month of June. I'd more or less accepted that the convenience of allowing apps to know your location etc was worth the loss of privacy unless I was planning a bank heist, but this hit home. I'm old so it doesn't really matter but if I was younger and worried what might get out to the likes of insurance companies, mortgage dealers, future employers etc I'd seriously consider switching all my privacy settings to maximum and maybe getting shot of a smart phone altogether.