Unpopular opinions.

11 minutes ago, coprolite said:

As this is the unpopular opinions thread, I wonder if any posters have any ideas for dealing with overpopulation?

Pick 3.8 billion names out a hat and execute them all. That way, you won't be left with any unlucky people. 

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
9 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:
Pick 3.8 billion names out a hat and execute them all. That way, you won't be left with any unlucky people. 

Would need to be Im Rodgers hat I would think

How come? Is he a cowboy?

On 7/24/2018 at 16:19, Cardinal Richelieu said:

i was sitting in the pub with some chums, with a Polish girl, Czech girl and Romanian guy all sitting on one side of the table and all us Britishers sat on the other. I pointed out that this invisible "iron curtain" they'd drawn between us was a sub-conscious attempt by them to bring back Communism. That went down like a cup of cold sick, as you can imagine. 

The guy I wound up used to regularly come out with opinions like people from the UK being prone to hay fever and being generally defective in other ways because they are seriously inbred as there have been no regular invasions like the ones Poland has experienced across the North European plane to keep mixing up the gene pool, so like a lot of people he could dish it out, but wasn't quite so good at taking it . Having listened to his patter on a daily basis for a few years I could definitely tell that it wouldn't be much fun being a gay Jewish communist in Warsaw (or Lodz in his case). 

Quite a lot of the 'wind-up' / banter I see among friends and family is actually really passive aggressive, people saying what they really think in a horrible, jabbing way rather than actually speaking about how they feel and sorting out issues they have with the people close to them.  It's frightening to see how poorly most people communicate and how selfish and myopic they can be. 

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Quite a lot of the 'wind-up' / banter I see among friends and family is actually really passive aggressive, people saying what they really think in a horrible, jabbing way rather than actually speaking about how they feel and sorting out issues they have with the people close to them...

The world was a very different place before political correctness kicked in.

People are often too sentimental about their friends and should be more willing to cut people off of they are a drain on you or are toxic.

I'm at a stage in my life where I need to think about this. I have one friend who constantly makes digs at me under no provocation. I shouldn't be on edge around people like that but I am.

There's something weird about men in their 30s and 40s with families playing computer games for hours at a time.
I don't get to use my console as often now but can get a couple of hours in when she goes to bed if I want. I think if folk are on it during the day when their kids are up then they weren't ready for parenthood.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

There's something weird about men in their 30s and 40s with families playing computer games for hours at a time.

Quite a lot of the 'wind-up' / banter I see among friends and family is actually really passive aggressive, people saying what they really think in a horrible, jabbing way rather than actually speaking about how they feel and sorting out issues they have with the people close to them.  It's frightening to see how poorly most people communicate and how selfish and myopic they can be. 

2qbbux2.jpg

25 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Scots isn't a language. 

Whit?

P.S. Of course it's not, it's a dialect like Geordie or Scouse. Doric is a language. Scots has been invented to support Ulster Scots in their battle against Irish, to the extent of shutting down Stormont at an incredibly important time.

Edited by welshbairn

There's few things uglier than people who are obsessed with their material possessions, boasting and showing off about them.  There's nothing wrong with having nice things or valuing something but when you make having them a central part of your character and try to use them to make other people feel bad about themselves, it marks you out as lacking.

ETA, that's probably not an unpopular opinion.  You do see a lot of people who behave like this though - as I get older I can't believe the number of grown men I encounter who spend significant parts of their life boasting about their car or their television or their latest holiday.

Edited by ICTChris

There's few things uglier than people who are obsessed with their material possessions, boasting and showing off about them.  There's nothing wrong with having nice things or valuing something but when you make having them a central part of your character and try to use them to make other people feel bad about themselves, it marks you out as lacking.

ETA, that's probably not an unpopular opinion.  You do see a lot of people who behave like this though - as I get older I can't believe the number of grown men I encounter who spend significant parts of their life boasting about their car or their television or their latest holiday.

^^^wants a new car, new TV and nice holiday.

Can kids replace these status symbols? Bit of boasting about how wee Jack or Lily sleeps through the night and has learnt to use the toilet?

Actually, who the f**k boasts about a fucking telly. That man has no penis.

I agree with the point, although if someone has been on a genuinely interesting holiday (like touring South America, not going to Benidorm) then I quite enjoy them talking about it for a bit.