Unpopular opinions.

On 06/11/2018 at 14:20, WATTOO said:

Having said the above, the people involved in the Grenfell bonfire are tossers and totally out of order, 

I can't say how much I detest them.  How can they have so singularly missed the entire point of Bonfire Night?  This is the one evening of the year when we celebrate the burning of perpetrators (ideally Papists) rather than victims.

It's the functional equivalent of having James VI  on one's pyre.  

Why is everyone online so pissed off with people blacking up for Halloween? Some people use face paints and they come in various colours. Get over it. Good for them for getting into the spirit of it.

I have my finger on the pulse as usual. Nobody can say I don’t know the hot issues of the day or fear to address them. I might buy some fireworks at the weekend. But what about pets?

Late adopter.

Anyone over the age of 17 who sincerely likes Harry Potter should be put on the sex offenders register.

I like Harry Potter. The films are great family entertainment. Well, the later ones are a bit grim for small children, but still. Books are okay too for reading to children.

People who don’t live the books and films are on a par with the Unabomber and should be hunted down by our security services.

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I like Harry Potter. The films are great family entertainment. Well, the later ones are a bit grim for small children, but still. Books are okay too for reading to children.

People who don’t live the books and films are on a par with the Unabomber and should be hunted down by our security services.

Your judge in the Yewtree trial might buy that excuse but quite frankly, I'm not. 

Edited by Dee Man

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Harry Potter is tremendous I'm genuinely delighted I took a chance to read them, fantastic stuff.

The writing is pretty basic stuff and the plot is a fairly boilerplate "Fantasy Most Important Person In the Universe Has a Mission" type trope. It's basically Star wars without the good bits, right down to how the characters fit into those roles:

Harry = Luke (Most Important Person in the Universe with a Destiny)

Ron = Han (Right hand man and general comic relief, gets the girl)

Hermione = Leia (Only significant female presence, actually smarter and more capable than the MIP)

Haggard = Chewie ( Big hairy b*****d with no discernable point beyond providing a non human - giant and Wookie - character)

Snape = Vader (Real baddie's right hand man, sinister c**t with a heart of gold with weird familial connection to our Most Important Person)

Voldermort = Palpatine (Real baddie. Pale skinned and barely in the story at all, both get dinged by their own Hubris)

Why is everyone online so pissed off with people blacking up for Halloween? Some people use face paints and they come in various colours. Get over it. Good for them for getting into the spirit of it.

I

Because it's the behaviour of racist morons? Just a hunch...

People who live the books are exactly what I was referencing tbqh

3 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

People who live the books are exactly what I was referencing tbqh

There were certainly a lot of them at Harry Potter World including my daughter. 

But she's only 8, not in her 30s like the vast majority of the other wierdos. 

Harry Potter is tremendous I'm genuinely delighted I took a chance to read them, fantastic stuff.
I had a Proof Copy of the first one before it had been released via a friend of mine who had worked at Blackwell's the bookstore. Read the first few chapters and found it unimaginative, childish nonsense which as a 19 year old Physics student sounded like a load of guff. Gave it straight back after that - should have kept it as no doubt it would he worth a fortune. Was dragged to the cinema to see the first film and found that just as bad and with laughable special effects. Haven't bothered with the rest despite people telling me they get darker in tone etc. Fantasy stuff is a load of pish anyway.

My pal in high school ended up being my first flatmate and loved them. He said I should give them a go. I read the first one and thought it was childish pish. He said the first couple are for younger readers and to keep going. So I read the second, still pish, then the third which was an improvement but that wasn't hard. Wasn't too impressed but struggled through the fourth one. When he handed me the fifth one to read I got about three pages in and couldn't take it anymore. It's gash. It's a fucking terrible book. I managed to read four books of the series and did not care a tiny bit about what happened to any of the characters who were all insufferable arseholes.

Kids like it tho' so who am I to judge. I'd probably hate Peppa Pig if I watched that too.

So are Holes, The Hobbit, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Pinocchio. I've read all of them as an adult and enjoyed them. Harry Potter books were just dull with 2D characters and shite plots that needlessly meandered into daft places.

ETA: speaking about unpopular opinions/children's books

To Kill A Mockingbird is a kids book. Or "young adult fiction" as they're known as today.

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix