Unpopular opinions.

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'm sure Comrade Throbber meant that we should stop complaining and take direct action. We've got to get up off our arses and stop just talking about it. We could sit around here all day talking, passing resolutions, making clever speeches. It's not going to shift one English commentator!

Absolutely brother (or sister) BigFatTabbyDave , we have to form an emergency committee immediately for urgent, priority debate. All those in favour?

Edited by NewBornBairn

You realise it can be enjoyed while also finding the England coverage tiresome?

Yes I do, I just think too many people are too readily annoyed about it all and pick petty things to complain about.

Yes I do, I just think too many people are too readily annoyed about it all and pick petty things to complain about.
I get annoyed when people question my right to be annoyed. I need to balance out the joy in my life with a few bits and pieces to get really crabbit and petty about.

I get annoyed when people question my right to be annoyed. I need to balance out the joy in my life with a few bits and pieces to get really crabbit and petty about.

This is fair enough, people are still going overboard with the complaints about the English though like they do at every World Cup. The hysteria from Scotland if we were at the World Cup would be the exact same.

On the recommendation of someone here, I've found listening to the radio stream to be far less partisan than the TV audio normally is.

Plus, you get interruptions from a cricket match that's already being broadcast on another station, during which one of the football teams will inevitably score. What's not to like?  <_<

This is fair enough, people are still going overboard with the complaints about the English though like they do at every World Cup. The hysteria from Scotland if we were at the World Cup would be the exact same.
It wouldn't though. I don't think we'd ever think ourselves contenders like the English media think England are. We'd go on and on about reaching the tournament and that part doesn't bother me in the slightest with regards to the English media. It's the fact they go on as if they are anything other than an average side. They way they reacted to beating Panama you'd think they'd just crushed a top side. They beat a poor Panama side with only one goal coming from open play ffs.

To read certain pundits then slate how bad Panama were shows their complete lack of respect towards their opponents (the same way they did with Iceland before they were knocked out by them). It's the arrogance of the media and pundits that pisses me off. I've no issue with the side or Southgate.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It wouldn't though. I don't think we'd ever think ourselves contenders like the English media think England are. We'd go on and on about reaching the tournament and that part doesn't bother me in the slightest with regards to the English media. It's the fact they go on as if they are anything other than an average side. They way they reacted to beating Panama you'd think they'd just crushed a top side. They beat a poor Panama side with only one goal coming from open play ffs.

To read certain pundits then slate how bad Panama were shows their complete lack of respect towards their opponents (the same way they did with Iceland before they were knocked out by them). It's the arrogance of the media and pundits that pisses me off. I've no issue with the side or Southgate.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Before my time but weren't we a half decent side back then? We're a mediocre side now and England are average. Neither of us will be winning a World Cup any time soon.

The team was living off the success of 77. In the home internationals we got beat by the English and drew with the Welsh & NI. We were spectacularly average over those three games (fantastic Willie Donachie OG though) but somehow still managed to let the media convince us we were going to do really well.

I genuinely think the kick in the balls 78 gave us had an impact on the Devolution vote the next year. 

I don't see anything wrong with the English/ English media getting excited or hyped about their chances, let them enjoy it ffs, I'll lose my shit if we ever qualify again never mind win a game.

Chris Sutton is a decent pundit and actually pretty funny. He does go off on rants occasionally and lose the plot like the lying down claim but I enjoy his views and he says it like it is. Give me him over boring Ian Wright any day.