Unpopular opinions.

Get the feeling an argument might start about which of us knows the most about Baltimore street culture and institutions. I'll just say this, most entertainment is subjective, but if you didn't like The Wire you're probably stupid. 

When it comes to wildlife conservation, some species should be allowed to become extinct and let evolution do it's thing, rather than cherry pick the cute and cuddly ones and keep the natural word stagnant as a zoo full of the animals we want to see. There would be exceptions however, for example: threat due to deforestation just to give us more steak on our tables / hides for clothing etc etc

The wire is anything but realistic.

Have you caddied for one of the writers?
The police techniques from that era, internal politicking, characterisation of cops (in particular the excessive force, hard drinking, ineptitude of many officers, nepotism and womanising etc) is all entirely accurate. The portrayal of the gang members is also pretty accurate, given many were hired as extras on the set. Yes there was poetic licence of certain things but im pretty happy with the authenticity. Given many former Baltimore PD officers were consulted on these things and involved in providing stories for the writers to use im confident its pretty accurate. How many other police shows demonstrate the paperwork side of things? Given the recent case of the corrupt Baltimore cops I’d say it hit the spot pretty well.

32 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Watched the first 6/7 episodes of the first series. Gave up.

Try again. There's a lot to take in with The Wire, I actually watched the first series twice before moving on. It's honestly fucking tremendous. 

I fail to see how any sane person watches The Wire and comes to the conclusion that it's shite.

11 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Have you caddied for one of the writers?
The police techniques from that era, internal politicking, characterisation of cops (in particular the excessive force, hard drinking, ineptitude of many officers, nepotism and womanising etc) is all entirely accurate. The portrayal of the gang members is also pretty accurate, given many were hired as extras on the set. Yes there was poetic licence of certain things but im pretty happy with the authenticity. Given many former Baltimore PD officers were consulted on these things and involved in providing stories for the writers to use im confident its pretty accurate. How many other police shows demonstrate the paperwork side of things? Given the recent case of the corrupt Baltimore cops I’d say it hit the spot pretty well.

Aye, David Simon spent a year with the police learning their job, some parts of the show will be embellished but on the whole it was pretty realistic. The real Avon Barksdale was also consulted on the gang stuff.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Try again. There's a lot to take in with The Wire, I actually watched the first series twice before moving on. It's honestly fucking tremendous. 

I fail to see how any sane person watches The Wire and comes to the conclusion that it's shite.

It has an awful lot of swearing. Ye big fekker. Ye big b*****d. Ye big fekkin b*****d etc. Found it a bit grating, like they were trying a bit too hard to be "real" with the dialogue. Will give it another go at some point  but gave up after a few episodes as the sweariness was nipping my head. 

5 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

It has an awful lot of swearing. Ye big fekker. Ye big b*****d. Ye big fekkin b*****d etc. Found it a bit grating, like they were trying a bit too hard to be "real" with the dialogue. Will give it another go at some point  but gave up after a few episodes as the sweariness was nipping my head. 

thats father ted mate

38 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I fear I'm being whooshed here but I can't for the life of me work it out.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I fear I'm being whooshed here but I can't for the life of me work it out.

You're not. I'm no stranger to swearing but just felt it was veering toward "yer dug's got tits" levels of profanity, distracting me from what else was going on in the show. 

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

You're not. I'm no stranger to swearing but just felt it was veering toward "yer dug's got tits" levels of profanity, distracting me from what else was going on in the show. 

I just can't fathom this is the Wire you're talking about. I mean, aye, they swear, but not once did I think it was profanity for profanity's sake (it is sometimes I suppose, when the coppers are pished).  The dialogue in the Wire is probably my favourite thing about it tbh, some absolutely fucking brilliant scenes/lines.

51 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I thought you'd be used to sweary vernacular from all that rapster style hippy hop you're so fond of.