Unpopular opinions.

1 hour ago, Angusfifer said:

Check out the percentage of BBC news presenters down south who went to private schools. Utterly shocking...

The proportion of BBC executives who were privately educated is 26%. Nowhere near the level of the armed forces, and far below even tabloid columnists.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/elitist-britain 

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Seems like I’ve made my point terribly. Obviously there’s very few (lucky) people who do a job they enjoy, but it is possible. My point was that DA had said he would like to never work again, regardless of the job, when if I was in a similar situation of hating every second of working life I’d probably try to do something to rectify it like looking to move into something that I enjoy. Work doesn’t have to be a slog, although I appreciate it’s not an easy fix.

I would also happily retire now if I could, but think I’d try to start up a business or do something rather than never work again. 

I am trying to move jobs. Due to my own deficiencies it isn't proving easy, and my next role will almost certainly be a move sideways for now.

Fair enough if you wanted to keep working if you could retire from your current career, but it's not some sort of mental opinion that folk would never work again if they could. Having the freedom to do what you like would be incredible.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:
24 minutes ago, GordonS said:
What percentage?

There's a blog on the spectator that lays it out somewhere. Not my ideal publication to reference sorry

I've seen it today, oddly enough, because of this thread and my pathetic need to always be right. It quotes as its source a comment from BTL on the Guardian article about the report I mentioned earlier. It might all be true, but it doesn't say how many people are employed at/ write for The Guardian.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

This could go either way.

c***s setting off fireworks at home. Get them tae f**k. Banned for sale to public.

Total arseholes.

I've observed this seems the work of the poorer classes.

I see fireworks going off from various places inhabited by the scum classes.

Really have to wonder how poor people seem more likely to smoke and feel good about wasting their limited disposable income on fireworks.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Some huge percentage of even the leftie guardian are privately educated, oxbridge PPE graduates.

Even? The Guardian has been champagne leftie / 'Progressive' trash for many years now.

Guest Moomintroll
You would have thought after WW1 that letting upper class muppets rule the armed forces was a bad idea.
Tally ho you boys walk slowly at the machine guns. It’s utterly unthinkable that it was assumed to be a good idea. Only after they actually listened to non career officers from Canada they made progress. The Germans actually copied this for blitzkreig it was so effective. 
Blackadder wasn’t far away from the truth.

100% this, although I will always wear the poppy in an act of Remberance we should never forget that Earl Haig was an upper class twit who was happy to send millions to a pointless death.

Really have to wonder how poor people seem more likely to smoke and feel good about wasting their limited disposable income on fireworks.

I had something almost identical typed out but deleted it because I didn’t really know how to word it without sounding like a dick but you’ve done pretty well. Always end up seeing some video of young belters from Castlemilk no doubt spending the minimal disposable income they have on fireworks to fire at each other in the street.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:
1 hour ago, GordonS said:
I've seen it today, oddly enough, because of this thread and my pathetic need to always be right. It quotes as its source a comment from BTL on the Guardian article about the report I mentioned earlier. It might all be true, but it doesn't say how many people are employed at/ write for The Guardian.

I suppose my point isn't so much tied up in precision & just that the folk writing our news are by and large from a narrow slice of society.

Yeah, I'm sure that's true. And it's reflected in what they write and say.

1 hour ago, Gaz FFC said:

living in a rural community where everyone, at this time of year, has a great many crow-scarers (known as rookies) to hand - for use in the various bonfire processions and the like - i can advise that the correct protocol is to have a wander around your neighbourhood of an evening, find any painstakingly-carved pumpkins, made by excitable youngsters, which have been left out on doorsteps, gateposts, wheelie bins and the like - and to blow the fucking things up:

this is juvenile, irresponsible, potentially dangerous, upsetting for the aforementioned children - and enormously good fun - what's not to like...

image.png.06961a594ee203cad3b1c351c6a95f91.png

image.png.9e1faad6242cc6a35012f5b550b2fbc2.png

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Many political opinions are based on wanting to look down on other people, in a variety of ways.

"Every form of loyalty is accompanied by a form of resentment - resentment towards the thing which demands your obedience. Politics consists in partly playing these two against each other."

22 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

You would have thought after WW1 that letting upper class muppets rule the armed forces was a bad idea.

Tally ho you boys walk slowly at the machine guns. It’s utterly unthinkable that it was assumed to be a good idea. Only after they actually listened to non career officers from Canada they made progress. The Germans actually copied this for blitzkreig it was so effective. 

Blackadder wasn’t far away from the truth.

4. The upper class got off lightly

Although the great majority of casualties in WW1 were from the working class, the social and political elite were hit disproportionately hard by WW1. Their sons provided the junior officers whose job it was to lead the way over the top and expose themselves to the greatest danger as an example to their men.

Some 12% of the British army's ordinary soldiers were killed during the war, compared with 17% of its officers. Eton alone lost more than 1,000 former pupils - 20% of those who served. UK wartime Prime Minister Herbert Asquith lost a son, while future Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law lost two. Anthony Eden lost two brothers, another brother of his was terribly wounded, and an uncle was captured.    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25776836

John Ellis wrote in his 1989 book Eye-Deep in Hell: Trench Warfare in World War I that among subalterns “estimates for the mortality rates range from 65 to 81%. This was, at its lowest estimate, double the rate for enlisted men.”

Bloodshed on this scale prompted the British historian A.J.P. Taylor to write “The slaughter of the subalterns in World War I destroyed the flower of the English gentry.”  https://owlcation.com/humanities/Junior-Officers-in-World-War-One