Unpopular opinions.

If you are thick enough not to actually take the 45 seconds to understand your student loans are repayable at a very low rate, triggered only by a decent salary on graduation, you have no business being at University at all.

This is just so spectacularly correct that I have nothing constructive to add to it.

If you are thick enough not to actually take the 45 seconds to understand your student loans are repayable at a very low rate, triggered only by a decent salary on graduation, you have no business being at University at all.

And tuition fees, given that every single media outlet reports them in England being '£9000 a year'. Do you think that has no effect on potential applications, knowing that if you don't do well in the course you're likely facing a rolling five-figure bill at some point down the line?

Or perhaps my post conveyed my feelings towards the system and the levels of support it gives, rather than any resentment to a group of people who may, or may not, deserve it.

I'm pretty sure you're not a single mother, why is their support relevant to your situation?

Of course, as you clearly know what I was thinking and how I felt from the handful of words I typed, I guess you know already.

It's called analysing tone and its what the vast majority of people do on this site do with posts. In a wider context it's how we read and understand books or any text.

If you didn't want to convey seething resentment then you did a pretty poor job at constructing your point.

I also like international football (whether that counts as unpopular or not I'm not sure).

The Tartan Army aren't that bad.

Keith Lemon/Leigh Francis/ Avid Merrion is not funny at all.

Edited by gy diamond

Guest The Phoenix

I also like international football (weather that counts as unpopular or not I'm not sure).

The Tartan Army aren't that bad.

Keith Lemon/Leigh Francis/ Avid Merrion is not funny at all.

The weather in Scotland is pretty much always unpopular.

And tuition fees, given that every single media outlet reports them in England being '£9000 a year'. Do you think that has no effect on potential applications, knowing that if you don't do well in the course you're likely facing a rolling five-figure bill at some point down the line?

Anyone who takes what is portrayed in the media at face value probably isn't capable of sufficient critical thinking to deserve to be in secondary education, let alone tertiary.

I'm pretty sure you're not a single mother, why is their support relevant to your situation?

Its not. Which is why I dont resent them

It's called analysing tone and its what the vast majority of people do on this site do with posts. In a wider context it's how we read and understand books or any text.

If you didn't want to convey seething resentment then you did a pretty poor job at constructing your point.

Or you did a pretty poor job of analysing tone

Anyone who takes what is portrayed in the media at face value probably isn't capable of sufficient critical thinking to deserve to be in secondary education, let alone tertiary.

Is it or is it not the case that English universities are extensively utilising the £9000 tuition fee highest cap?

Now you can put whatever interpretation you want on that but the basic fact holds and people are fully aware of it. Financial concerns are entirely relevant for many potential students, and no amount of mewling that 'oh they're too stupid to care about' will change that fact.

Edited by vikingTON

It may well have an impact on applications, but not in a bad way for me. Perhaps I have misunderstood your issue on this thread.

I'm happy for those people who don't feel their degree will justify incurring a debt of 40-50K, or who are stupid enough to think someone with a baseball bat is going to be hanging around their final exam hall looking for a cheque for that amount to elect not to go to University.

Is it or is it not the case that English universities are extensively utilising the £9000 tuition fee highest cap?

Now you can put whatever interpretation you want on that but the basic fact holds and people are fully aware of it. Financial concerns are entirely relevant for many potential students, and no amount of mewling that 'oh they're too stupid to care about' will change that fact.

The fee level is scarcely relevant, and anyone who understood the proposals properly would actually realise that. Down south they have a graduate tax of 9% above £21k with an upper-contributions limit which rises year-on-year, which applies for a maximum of 30 years. It's not a debt and for all but the very wealthiest the actual tuition fee rate, be it £6k or £9k, will have less than zero effect on the amount they actually pay back.

10) Every time there's a thread on anything more high brow than what you ate for breakfast or your favourite wanking technique, the same few people take over the thread with their long, tedious attempts to out intellectualise eachother. It adds nothing to the forum unless you're on of the people involved, and they should pipe down now and again (probably not an unpopular opinion, just wanted to say it).

Correct again

It may well have an impact on applications, but not in a bad way for me. Perhaps I have misunderstood your issue on this thread.

Yeah my initial point is that fees are relevant because they're impacting on study choices for potential students. The idea that because they're pushed back makes them irrelevant doesn't figure.

The fee level is scarcely relevant, and anyone who understood the proposals properly would actually realise that.

Well sorry to break the news to you, but seeing as a great many people have neither the time nor the will to properly understand the setup, they will be influenced by the fee level. It is therefore entirely relevant.

Correct again

Oh I'm so sorry, perhaps when we have a thread contributing nothing of note but crying out for some idiocy, we can call on you to step up?

Feel free, both of you, to f**k off to the creche, or take part and show why these "intellectuals" are either wrong or boring.

Christ, it's worse than taking a wean to the opera... :D

:lol: :lol:

Yeah my initial point is that fees are relevant because they're impacting on study choices for potential students. The idea that because they're pushed back makes them irrelevant doesn't figure.

Which does take me back to my initial point though. It's pretty basic research to find out what headline figures actually mean. If you don't understand how student tuition fees and loans work before you go, you have no businss being there. I'm glad such people are put off.

You have to be pretty thick not to look at a headline of £10K a year, and work out what that actually means for you. Only a total moron would think of this being a debt in the same way that a £5K personal debtto buy a car is.

Oh I'm so sorry, perhaps when we have a thread contributing nothing of note but crying out for some idiocy, we can call on you to step up?

^^^ Verge of tears ^^^

:lol:

No World Cups in 50 years?

The competition will almost certainly exist, but I don't think it'll be as prestigious as it is now. It'll almost certainly have fallen behind the Champions League.

I should've perhaps made it clearer that I think it's the footballers themselves that will turn away from international football, rather than the fans. Almost everyone I know is a massive fan of international football, but I just don't see the appetite for it amongst the players. At the moment, a significant number of them are playing out of a sense of duty, and I think that sense will be eroded over the next few decades.

Well sorry to break the news to you, but seeing as a great many people have neither the time nor the will to properly understand the setup, they will be influenced by the fee level. It is therefore entirely relevant.

Their loss for being thick and/or lazy.