Unpopular opinions.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Idk who that is

Legendary right-wing poster on here whose healthcare plan was abolishing direct NHS spending and giving every person like 10 grand a year instead that they could choose to spend on their own healthcare or just piss it away on whatever they want.

4 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I think this is an unpopular opinion but I think not for the reasons you've laid out.

At the top end of a lot of charities I think they absolutely do attract quite hard nosed people because there is good money to be made and that class of person is interested only in perpetuating their status. Darren McGarvey observed that if the whole third sector is worth £5 billion in Scotland then why not just give the 800,000 people living in poverty in Scotland £6000 a year each instead? The answer (leaving aside charities not focused on people like RSPB etc) is probably that doing that would wipe out a lot of jobs that notionally exist to solve this problem but in reality mostly exist to give those people jobs.

Also at local level I think charity attracts a fair few people who probably shouldn't be in a position of responsibility but end up there and it can drive out the empathetic people you talk about. This happened in a local mental health charity in Edinburgh about 20 years back and the person responsible ended up raiding the coffers and causing the charity to wind up.

I agree - I meant more the type of person at the front end of services, or employed in positions related to care etc.  In my experience people in positions that are considered caring seem to take the approach of trying to love people into better lives and the provide a crutch for them, without providing people with a way to take control and exercise power over their own lives in any way.  This draws a certain type of person to these positions whereas someone who might occasionally tell a supported person 'no' or offer them some guidance might be better.

I agree with what you say as well about the third sector (a stange phrase) being a way of propping up jobs for a lot of people who wouldn't have a role if the problems they address were resolved.  One of the places where the harm reduction to heroin use is being trialled in Canada, Downtown Eastside in Vancouver, has more than 170 charitable organisations based there, an area of a few city blocks and a population of about 7,000.  If someone invented a pill that cured opiod addiction then that's a lot of people looking for a new job. 

I don't have an answer about what to do - you can't just say to people "yeah we've defunded your services" and leave them to rot.  You can't do what Darren McGarvey says and just give every poor person a cut of the money, it's obviously more complicated than that.  I don't think there's an answer really, I just feel discomfort at the way supporting vulnerable people is talked about in society.  A lot of theindustry around it seems to keep them in stasis and enable them to live harmful lives rather than help people to improve their situation.  I have no answer though.

Edited by ICTChris

Did he not shout at a sales assistant in Comet or something like that?  He also complained about nurses sitting around eating chocolates all day and supported MUbarak's crackdown on Arab Spring protests because they were stopping people commuting to their work. 

The interesting thing about Dickson is that you can trace his journey into being a mad troll on here and B&W Army.  In the late 1990s, he went to the then St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmour with a proposal to raise money for the club, then going through a down period.  I can't remember exactly what the suggestion was, I think it was like a Clubcall but for text messages where fans would pay £5 a week to get a text message about St Mirren, something like that.  GIlmour told him to piss off and thus began Dickson's love-hate relationship with St Mirren and their fans, usually characterised by Dickson posting about how terrible St Mirren were and how much he hated them while all the while attending pretty much all their games.  He had some appalling stupid posts, like having an HD ready house and ridiculing St Mirren for signing Kenny Deucher, when it was actually St Johnstone that signed him.

I think he got banned for posting some straightforward racism.

Did he not shout at a sales assistant in Comet or something like that?  He also complained about nurses sitting around eating chocolates all day and supported MUbarak's crackdown on Arab Spring protests because they were stopping people commuting to their work. 
The interesting thing about Dickson is that you can trace his journey into being a mad troll on here and B&W Army.  In the late 1990s, he went to the then St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmour with a proposal to raise money for the club, then going through a down period.  I can't remember exactly what the suggestion was, I think it was like a Clubcall but for text messages where fans would pay £5 a week to get a text message about St Mirren, something like that.  GIlmour told him to piss off and thus began Dickson's love-hate relationship with St Mirren and their fans, usually characterised by Dickson posting about how terrible St Mirren were and how much he hated them while all the while attending pretty much all their games.  He had some appalling stupid posts, like having an HD ready house and ridiculing St Mirren for signing Kenny Deucher, when it was actually St Johnstone that signed him.
Some boi

49 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

referred to the Arab Spring protestors as monkeys or apes, I think.

Edited by NotThePars

18 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

referred to the Arab Spring protestors as monkeys or apes, I think.

He called himself Lawstud, was that the same guy? Had a better class of right wing loon in those days, him and Reynard were often quite funny unlike the thick trolls we get now.

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

He called himself Lawstud, was that the same guy? Had a better class of right wing loon in those days, him and Reynard were often quite funny unlike the thick trolls we get now.

That's the one. His NHS policy still tickles me just because it was simultaneously well thought-out and completely fucking mad.

People that fangirl/boy over foreign political leaders are very cringey. The latest is Jacinda Ardern but previous incumbents of the ‘OMG why can’t they be our leader’ are Emmanuel Macron and Justin Trudeau. I wonder what Ardern will do to be deposed and which leader will replace her.

The flip side of this are British ‘righties’ who adopt the patois of the US culture wars. Absolutely pathetic losers all of them. The current world champion is James Delingpole, who is currently giving it the “cuck” chat on Twitter, amazing stuff from a twig wristed simpering fanny.

People that fangirl/boy over foreign political leaders are very cringey. The latest is Jacinda Ardern but previous incumbents of the ‘OMG why can’t they be our leader’ are Emmanuel Macron and Justin Trudeau. I wonder what Ardern will do to be deposed and which leader will replace her.

The flip side of this are British ‘righties’ who adopt the patois of the US culture wars. Absolutely pathetic losers all of them. The current world champion is James Delingpole, who is currently giving it the “cuck” chat on Twitter, amazing stuff from a twig wristed simpering fanny.

"Get The Message" by Electronic is the best tune to ever come out of New Order and/or The Smiths. Also Johnny Marr's best work was on The The's sensational album "Infected".

Obviously I don't truly believe that, New Order's best work was the opening scene of Blade.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

People that fangirl/boy over foreign political leaders are very cringey. The latest is Jacinda Ardern but previous incumbents of the ‘OMG why can’t they be our leader’ are Emmanuel Macron and Justin Trudeau. I wonder what Ardern will do to be deposed and which leader will replace her..

It’s f**k all to do with politics. It’s because they’re a bit foxy looking imo.

On 27/07/2020 at 01:26, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

"Get The Message" by Electronic is the best tune to ever come out of New Order and/or The Smiths. Also Johnny Marr's best work was on The The's sensational album "Infected".

Obviously I don't truly believe that, New Order's best work was the opening scene of Blade.

What was it you said elsewhere about being permanently refreshed?