Unpopular opinions.

11 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Never getting your hole because every available lassie is hideously ugly. Not only that, but them also being sober means they have standards which don't include the likes of you.

This is a terrible idea @Dee Man 

Fortunately that wouldn't affect me, Shotgun. 

unnamed (16).gif

On 18/07/2020 at 16:44, MixuFruit said:

Southgate era England aren't annoying and I quite like watching them play tbh.

People like Bastani trying to make supporting England woke was particularly annoying. Was class when a load of English lefties were frantically Wiki'ing every one of England's opponents to try and cancel us and the Welsh for supporting Sweden and Croatia though.

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Heading out to the football on a Saturday with the boys tanked up on smoothies. 

Going to the football sober in the last couple of years feels a terrible waste of time. It’s almost as if the getting drunk and lairy side of it was more enjoyable than the sitting in a cold stadium being subjected to terrible music over the PA, minute applauses for all manner of shite, poppy pageantry etc side of the day.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

People like Bastani trying to make supporting England woke was particularly annoying. Was class when a load of English lefties were frantically Wiki'ing every one of England's opponents to try and cancel us and the Welsh for supporting Sweden and Croatia though.

Someone on hibs.net (I know, I was younger) had a go at me because the design of the Croatian team's shirt was *directly* based on Ustasa imagery...

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Someone on hibs.net (I know, I was younger) had a go at me because the design of the Croatian team's shirt was *directly* based on Ustasa imagery...

It's aesthetically a nice top! I've got one myself. 

Spoiler

No I don't own any Hugo Boss designs from the 40s, don't ask

Often people who want to do good and help others are also suckers who get taken advantage of by the people they are trying to help. People who have personality traits that are likely to get them taken advantage of (high levels of empathy) are more likely to volunteer for charities or work for agencies that help people, whereas more hard nosed people are likely to shy away from that sector. It would be good to encourage people with different personality types and backgrounds to work in charities and jobs supporting others.

Southgate era England aren't annoying and I quite like watching them play tbh.
The England team are quite a likeable bunch these days, and its almost impossible to dislike Gareth Southgate.

But...I'd be very surprised if they don't win a major tournament in the next 10 years or so, and that will be utterly unbearable.

19 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Also at local level I think charity attracts a fair few people who probably shouldn't be in a position of responsibility but end up there and it can drive out the empathetic people you talk about. This happened in a local mental health charity in Edinburgh about 20 years back and the person responsible ended up raiding the coffers and causing the charity to wind up.

Jim Gray,  Hibs director at the time of the Mercer takeover bid and dodgy git, was invited onto the board of Edinburgh Settlement, a long established Edinburgh University charity as they probably didn't know his background. 

The charity soon ran into financial difficulties... 

That money was just resting in his account. 

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

At the top end of a lot of charities I think they absolutely do attract quite hard nosed people because there is good money to be made and that class of person is interested only in perpetuating their status. Darren McGarvey observed that if the whole third sector is worth £5 billion in Scotland then why not just give the 800,000 people living in poverty in Scotland £6000 a year each instead? The answer (leaving aside charities not focused on people like RSPB etc) is probably that doing that would wipe out a lot of jobs that notionally exist to solve this problem but in reality mostly exist to give those people jobs.

This isn't a million miles away from Stuart Dickson's healthcare plan