Unpopular opinions.

British politics and society is completely incapable of dealing with or responding to Islamic fundamentalist terrorism. Left and right and all shades between have no idea about it and use it as a way to parrot what they have always thought.

The cult of emotionalism is the new “stiff upper lip” and is just as false and forced as that. Sometimes it’s best to just forget about bad things.

Scottish politics is a complete charade. Every party is stuffed with useless sub councillor idiots. The best argument for independence is that it will actually force this country to make political decisions and not just announce committees and send tweets.

10 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Funnier than I'm up to my knees in fucking cow pat?

I dunno - I just found it so funny watching back with Teds face smirking with excitement about how original and funny an idea it was and then Victor Meldrew gets raging and starts beating him with his hat and chasing him away. Graeme Norton was great in that episode as well.

19 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Clearly I'm the only one who remembers Ian Wright's sweet salty tears in the aftermath of England losing to Northern Ireland.

I recall this. Very amusing. He was sulking like a child and actually refused to speak for a bit, which in effect was him refusing to do his job.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that England getting pumped out a major tournament is one of life’s simple pleasures. There’s nothing worse than some wee Scottish Uncle Tom going on about how they support England or ‘any of the Home Nations’ when Scotland don’t qualify. Go and f**k yourself - you don’t understand football.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that England getting pumped out a major tournament is one of life’s simple pleasures. There’s nothing worse than some wee Scottish Uncle Tom going on about how they support England or ‘any of the Home Nations’ when Scotland don’t qualify. Go and f**k yourself - you don’t understand football.
Know what I love, the fairly recent mental anguish they inflict on themselves by contorting their opinions to paint them as underdogs, then as they progress the big reveal comes that actually it was all an act and they are going to win it, just as they get fucked out.

It's absolutely fantastic to watch. A psychiatrist would probably enjoy analysing it. I know I love to see it. The visible straining as they try to figure out their place in the order of things whilst simultaneously assuming that they have the best league and therefore should win everything. Ultimate schadenfreude.

10 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Southgate era England aren't annoying and I quite like watching them play tbh.

What’s to enjoy about watching them play?

Where they’re playing another international team of any quality, the best you can say about them is that they’re “functional”, with a bit of pace and decent at set pieces.

But they’re turgid and lacking creativity if the other team can defend worth a f**k and that IS boring to watch and annoying when their media cheerleaders think they’re brilliant. 

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Southgate era England aren't annoying and I quite like watching them play tbh.

I'll agree they're probably the least annoying England side in my lifetime, which is impressive considering they just managed a World Cup semi. Like we all did when, etc etc.

Shameful that the Iceland game has been mentioned as a televisual highlight, but nobody's posted this:

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The last World Cup made me realise that the most enjoyment I ever get from international football will be watching England get put out of a tournament. 

With hindsight, the '94 World Cup was the best in my lifetime.

Commentators constantly greeting about who England would've been playing if they'd been there, how it was a disgrace that certain shite from Africa/Asia had been allowed to qualify when England hadn't, folk like John Fashanu suddenly rediscovering their links to sides like Nigeria, never-ending mentions of how virtually every single player at the tournament had visited some miserable backwaters English seaside town for a trial with the local lower-league outfit...I found it unbearably self-involved at the time but, looking back, the English football community was going through a collective nervous breakdown. Some boy, that Graham Taylor.

On 18/07/2020 at 16:46, Bairnardo said:

Know what I love, the fairly recent mental anguish they inflict on themselves by contorting their opinions to paint them as underdogs, then as they progress the big reveal comes that actually it was all an act and they are going to win it, just as they get fucked out.

It's absolutely fantastic to watch. A psychiatrist would probably enjoy analysing it. I know I love to see it. The visible straining as they try to figure out their place in the order of things whilst simultaneously assuming that they have the best league and therefore should win everything. Ultimate schadenfreude.

This. 100% this.

It's fascinating from the outside looking in. 

The last world cup was interesting, as although they reached the semi finals, the only time they'd faced a decent team, Belgium's reserve gave them a bit of a skelping.

The amount they've romanticised their penalty shootout win over Colombia is particularly intriguing. 

On 18/07/2020 at 21:07, Miguel Sanchez said:

The last World Cup made me realise that the most enjoyment I ever get from international football will be watching England get put out of a tournament. 

One of the best things in football is listening to 606 straight after England have been knocked out of a tournament.  Comedy gold 

6 minutes ago, Empty It said:
51 minutes ago, Dee Man said:
As much as I love it, so should alcohol. 

Going down to the local for a latte with the lads on a Saturday night.

Heading out to the football on a Saturday with the boys tanked up on smoothies.