Unpopular opinions.

There can't be a serious discussion if the first reaction to being asked if they think maybe they should do something about being obese is to get offended and go on about it being their business and their business only.
That reaction alone is why we don't do anything to seriously tackle the problem in our society.
To tackle the problem seriously, it will cost money. Potentially more money than it costs now. I'm sure people are evaluating these things on a cost level all the time.

That is because the government would have to look at lifestyle in general in the UK, and the dramatic improvement thereof. The current UK government are not interested in doing so IMO. You can blame laziness and all the other easy targets all you want. The situation isnt simple and needs huge effort to tackle.

Fatties are a popular target, but what happens when they decide anyone who drinks more than 10 units a week should be subject to humiliation until they improve?

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

There can't be a serious discussion if the first reaction to being asked if they think maybe they should do something about being obese is to get offended and go on about it being their business and their business only.

That reaction alone is why we don't do anything to seriously tackle the problem in our society.

Who was asked if maybe they should lose weight? 

I believe it was fat people who aren't mentally ill should be held accountable. 

You want to have a serious conversation? You don't start it with a presumption of wrongdoing and a demand for an explanation. 

But then you don't want a serious conversation do you? You want to be in the right and tell others why their wrong to massage your pathetic little ego. 

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

You want to have a serious conversation? You don't start it with a presumption of wrongdoing and a demand for an explanation. 

But then you don't want a serious conversation do you? You want to be in the right and tell others why their wrong to massage your pathetic little ego. 

16340470.jpg

You are basically proving my point. At the slightest possible suggestion that obese people need to be told they need to change their lifestyle, you have completely blown up

4 minutes ago, Aufc said:

You are basically proving my point. At the slightest possible suggestion that obese people need to be told they need to change their lifestyle, you have completely blown up

Telling people to change their lifestyle is no solution to the problem though and never will be. Your approach necessitates consequence for those who dont comply. Everyone who is obese knows it's not good for them, and doctors do not ever shy away from telling overweight patients that they should do something about it. You are looking for a step further than that though, and as a solution to a problem, that is nonsense. Punishing people to force them into a lifestyle change is best left for some dystopian hellscape movie or book. 

We absolutely need to try and get a healthier society, so why not talk constructively about what that should look like instead of this nonsense talk about "holding folk accountable"*

*apologies if those arent your words,  but its certainly the inference of many posts in the thread. 

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

16340470.jpg

I'm not putting on a mask. I am clearly and openly seething about your presumptuous condescending attitude. 

14 minutes ago, Aufc said:

You didn't suggest that though. 

It wouldn't have been much of an unpopular opinion if you'd said that. 

Well done for increasing public health outcomes guys. You're great. 

31 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Telling people to change their lifestyle is no solution to the problem though and never will be. Your approach necessitates consequence for those who dont comply. Everyone who is obese knows it's not good for them, and doctors do not ever shy away from telling overweight patients that they should do something about it.

That softly softly approach clearly isn't working, though.

Everyone knew smoking was bad for you, yet continued doing so. The Government eventually drew a line, banned advertising, pushed warnings on fag packets, hid fags away, and later mandated blank packaging.

I don't think it's punishing people to push the message of "Obesity Kills" but for some reason there is a backlash against any hint this message because "Body Shaming" and the desire to not offend people. You needn't look further than the gasket the poster above blew at the first suggestion his lifestyle is unhealthy and problematic to see the messaging isn't working.

"Love your fags" and "Cigarettes are beautiful" would rightfully never appear on an advert or magazine cover these days. So why is "Love your body" and "Big is beautiful" so different?

Edited by Todd_is_God

Make the weeping tiger. Its class
Is that effectively the crying tiger? If so, we've had that twice. The first time there was too much coriander but the second time it was much better. Our joint favourite has been Tuscan Chicken. Absolutely incredible. And Toad in the Hole was surprisingly delicious as well. I think we've only disliked one thing. Can't recommend the meals highly enough.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Everyone knew smoking was bad for you, yet continued doing so. The Government eventually drew a line, banned advertising, pushed warnings on fag packets, hid fags away, and later mandated blank packaging.

I don't think it's punishing people to push the message of "Obesity Kills" but for some reason there is a backlash against any hint this message because "Body Shaming" and the desire to not offend people.

"Love your fags" and "Cigarettes are beautiful" would rightfully never appear on an advert or magazine cover these days. So why is "Love your body" and "Big is beautiful" so different?

Because women have had to face generations of judgement on appearance and a very unhealthy body image stereotypes. 

There isnt a "softly softly" approach. There is a government not willing to make the tough and expensive decisions. The tories are the party of business and I am sure you will find that any deep analysis into the obesity epidemic would place UK working practices as a huge contributor. They wont be willing to impose the costs on their core support. 

Just now, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
Make the weeping tiger. Its class

Is that effectively the crying tiger? If so, we've had that twice. The first time there was too much coriander but the second time it was much better. Our joint favourite has been Tuscan Chicken. Absolutely incredible. And Toad in the Hole was surprisingly delicious as well. I think we've only disliked one thing. Can't recommend the meals highly enough.

Ah yeah they call it crying tiger. I dodnt use coriander as its shit. The dressing is superb though. I also stumbled upon how to make perfect chinese takeaway noodles when I made that. Tasted exactly like them. 

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't think it's punishing people to push the message of "Obesity Kills" but for some reason there is a backlash against any hint this message because "Body Shaming" and the desire to not offend people.

As an ex smoker and current fatty, i would be entirely behind increasing the sugar tax, taxing high fat/ salt foods more and putting warnings things like chocolate bars and crisps. 

The combined effect of that boy with the tache with cricket ball sized throat tumours and £8 for 20 (plus having a kid) certainly put me off the fags. 

I think the reason this hasn't happened is more to do with the lobbying power of Mondelez, Unilever, Nestle, Mars et al and less to do with this size acceptance movement/fad. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Because women have had to face generations of judgement on appearance and a very unhealthy body image stereotypes. 

There isnt a "softly softly" approach. There is a government not willing to make the tough and expensive decisions. The tories are the party of business and I am sure you will find that any deep analysis into the obesity epidemic would place UK working practices as a huge contributor. They wont be willing to impose the costs on their core support. 

Blame the current government if it makes you feel better, but let's not pretend obesity in the UK was not a problem prior to 2010.

There are plenty of things you can be critical about the Tories for. But they are not physically shovelling multiple takeaways a week into people's mouths. That's a personal choice.

On the question of accountability we could introduce the "Podge Police" who go around with sticks and point and chase around the fatties, mandatory on the spot star jumps or something, obviously after the pandemic that is. 

Blame the current government if it makes you feel better, but let's not pretend obesity in the UK was not a problem prior to 2010.
There are plenty of things you can be critical about the Tories for. But they are not physically shovelling multiple takeaways a week into people's mouths. That's a personal choice.
Its their problem currently. That's all that matters.

13 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

On the question of accountability we could introduce the "Podge Police" who go around with sticks and point and chase around the fatties, mandatory on the spot star jumps or something, obviously after the pandemic that is. 

Or tcheucters that stray further South than they should. You just stay up there and get your price list updated for those of us unfortunate enough to get hungry North of Perth.