Unpopular opinions.

I think a big problem is that the cravings aren't real or rather, it's boredom than actual hunger. Used to do this late at night, go and rummage in the fridge. I wasn't hungry I was just eating for the sake of it.

I'd say food addiction is a real thing though and folk need to get their head in the right place if they are wanting to lose serious weight. But we really are a greedy nation.

Food addiction may well be a real thing for some people but a lot of people hide behind that. I also dont feel comfortable putting food addition in the same category as alcohol and drugs

38 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
43 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:
What are these 3 books and where can you get them?

We got the two books from Tesco. The other one I got on Play Books. It's the same book for the same price but it's on my phone rather than a physical copy (obviously!). £10 each. Tesco seems to be feast or famine in regards to stocking them.

31 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Tenner each on Amazon 

Cheers chaps.

56 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think a big problem is that the cravings aren't real or rather, it's boredom than actual hunger. Used to do this late at night, go and rummage in the fridge. I wasn't hungry I was just eating for the sake of it.

I'd say food addiction is a real thing though and folk need to get their head in the right place if they are wanting to lose serious weight. But we really are a greedy nation.

The cravings can be real - mine were massively related to hormones.

My wording isn't great and I doubt this will be better but what I mean is even though the stomach will be wanting the food, it's almost like a trick in that the body doesn't actually need it.

12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
17 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

My wording isn't great and I doubt this will be better but what I mean is even though the stomach will be wanting the food, it's almost like a trick in that the body doesn't actually need it.

Yeah I get what you mean but without going into my medical history, sometimes it does need it. 

Edited by Jambomo

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

Got first idea already.

DA could give dunfermlines only grammatically correct  bus tour. Visit to apostrophe shop afterwards.

20210213_175646.jpg

I'm in.

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

Food addiction may well be a real thing for some people but a lot of people hide behind that. I also dont feel comfortable putting food addition in the same category as alcohol and drugs

Why not?

When folk say that a dead body "looked at peace", they know this not to be true and are merely saying it to make themselves and/or others feel better.  There is f*** all peaceful about a face with its mouth (even slightly) open.  Asleep?  Fair enough. Peaceful? Not having it.

6 hours ago, Aufc said:

Every junkie has an addiction. Every alcoholic has an addiction. Not every obese person has an addiction

Going by the other thread though the fat lobby has actually managed to convince the truly gullible that a doughnut has the same addictive properties as heroin.

1919238B-D2A6-48F5-8023-A45A2B4B9021.png.89c2e3c13021db68366fd0fd8c728b00.png

Edited by vikingTON

6 hours ago, Aufc said:

Every junkie has an addiction. Every alcoholic has an addiction. Not every obese person has an addiction

Why are you claiming that not every obese person has an addiction? They clearly have an addiction to consuming too many calories which is in turn making then overweight and making their life worse. Also, what’s your definition of an alcoholic? We have come a long way in the last couple of decades towards understanding addiction a bit more that the term alcoholic doesn’t really apply anymore.

10 minutes ago, throbber said:

Why are you claiming that not every obese person has an addiction? They clearly have an addiction to consuming too many calories which is in turn making then overweight and making their life worse. 

'Calories' do not confer any addictive properties whatsoever. This is just more pseudo-scientific nonsense and is quite frankly insulting to those who suffer from genuine addictions that their psychochemical attachment is being equated to somebody who can't steer clear of a buffet table or get off their arse and do some exercise.

People who are overweight are not addicts. They consume a few too many calories. This is not an illness. There are issues with our food culture, our society, how we educate people about food, how we organise our domestic lives etc that contribute to increased obesity.

There are also people who eat too much because they like nice food and they don’t have the self control to stop themselves. Everyone is different - I work with a guy who can’t quit smoking, he has tried numerous times, he has has all different treatments but can’t do it. My dad gave up after smoking for 45+ years with a week of patches. My grandfather gave up instantly with no treatments when the doctor told him, he’d been smoking for more than 50 years. 

Why are you claiming that not every obese person has an addiction? They clearly have an addiction to consuming too many calories which is in turn making then overweight and making their life worse. Also, what’s your definition of an alcoholic? We have come a long way in the last couple of decades towards understanding addiction a bit more that the term alcoholic doesn’t really apply anymore.

Because an addiction is something that cannot be controlled. Whilst this is true for some obese people, not everyone who is obese/overweight has a food addiction. A lot of them will claim they do.

On the alcoholic thing, you obviously know more than me. I was just speaking generally, rather than getting into detail.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

When folk say that a dead body "looked at peace", they know this not to be true and are merely saying it to make themselves and/or others feel better.  There is f*** all peaceful about a face with its mouth (even slightly) open.  Asleep?  Fair enough. Peaceful? Not having it.

If you have a word with the undertaker they can give you some options. They assume most people will go for peaceful. They could do abject horror or mild indignation. I think I might go for a Roger Moore eyebrow.

If you are dependent on alcohol you can die without it. I think going into alcoholic withdrawal untreated has an extremely high fatality rate. No-one has ever died from not eating chips.

of course, no-one has ever died from withdrawal from opiates either so maybe I’m being unfair.

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

'Calories' do not confer any addictive properties whatsoever. This is just more pseudo-scientific nonsense and is quite frankly insulting to those who suffer from genuine addictions that their psychochemical attachment is being equated to somebody who can't steer clear of a buffet table or get off their arse and do some exercise.

Why is it just fat people who get this sort of treatment as if their issues are just as simple as eating less/getting more exercise though? Do you look at a smoker who is developing all sorts of health issues and just say “maybe if you stopped smoking you’d be alright”? Are fat people just an easy target? If you’re doing something voluntarily on a regular basis that is making your life worse and ruining your health you have an addiction. Also sugar, salt and high fatty foods are addictive substances and over a long enough time line can and will kill you.

3 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Because an addiction is something that cannot be controlled. Whilst this is true for some obese people, not everyone who is obese/overweight has a food addiction. A lot of them will claim they do.

On the alcoholic thing, you obviously know more than me. I was just speaking generally, rather than getting into detail.

But you can control addiction, that’s how people end up giving up smoking or doing a driathlon etc. What an absurd thing to say.

The term alcoholic in this day and age rather confuses me and I always want to know what someone’s benchmark for an alcoholic even is. Most people I know like to drink and a lot regularly drink to excess but I don’t know where the alcoholic part comes in to the equation and would like someone to tell me.

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

The term alcoholic in this day and age rather confuses me and I always want to know what someone’s benchmark for an alcoholic even is. Most people I know like to drink and a lot regularly drink to excess but I don’t know where the alcoholic part comes in to the equation and would like someone to tell me.

There is a medical definition of alcoholism. I think the currently clinical term is alcohol use disorder.

But you can control addiction, that’s how people end up giving up smoking or doing a driathlon etc. What an absurd thing to say.

For me, anyone who sees "Dry January" as any sort achievement.