Unpopular opinions.

On a similar note, Sapiens has some interesting theories on happiness. The most compelling of which is the "Biology" version that happiness does not in itself come from external stimulation or from "within" which is birthday caird pish, but rather from chemicals within the brain.

To expand on this, it Harari says that each human brain has a capacity and range of dopamine production, therefore if you imagine you average 7 out of 10 happiness, you maybe only be biologically capable of highs of 8 and lows of 6, thus explaining why we get people of happy/miserable disposition.

He also says that the brain is programmed not to maintain these highs and lows as it would be detrimental to our survival. So even if you win the lottery and are absolutely elated, over time the joy of that will fade back. Likening it to an air con system with a set point. It will modulate up and down, but ultimately will always return to it's set point.

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

We have no free will.  How we act at any given time is just the result of whatever the atoms etc in our brain have been doing immediately beforehand (much like the ever changing weather being controlled by the wider physical world). 

This is not to be confused with our actions being 'predetermined' in a way that there has been some sort of 'plan' set out for us in advance, just more of a chain reaction of chemistry/physics that we don't have the ability to consciously change.  As such, if you're going to end up in jail for being a homicidal maniac, then there's nothing that the soulless complex physical object (that is you) can do to stop it.  Basically, we have just as much influence over our future as a rock does over its own.

This reads like Mad Mikkelsen's Hannibal trying to convince Will Graham to murder someone

We have no free will.  How we act at any given time is just the result of whatever the atoms etc in our brain have been doing immediately beforehand (much like the ever changing weather being controlled by the wider physical world). 
This is not to be confused with our actions being 'predetermined' in a way that there has been some sort of 'plan' set out for us in advance, just more of a chain reaction of chemistry/physics that we don't have the ability to consciously change.  As such, if you're going to end up in jail for being a homicidal maniac, then there's nothing that the soulless complex physical object (that is you) can do to stop it.  Basically, we have just as much influence over our future as a rock does over its own.

Read God’s Debris by Scott Adams. It’s a great read. Wouldn’t take it seriously but it has a knack of making you think about things like free will.

Following on from various discussions in another thread, my unpopular opinion is...

Some fat people need to take accountability of their bad health choices and hide behind shit excuses.

I say some as i realise there is a mental health issue for some obese people.

33 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Following on from various discussions in another thread, my unpopular opinion is...

Some fat people need to take accountability of their bad health choices and hide behind shit excuses.

I have no mental health issues (except some sexual deviancy) and am quite fat. 

What should i be held accountable for exactly? And to whom? 

If it's just for being fat, then i'm not sure that's any of your business frankly. 

39 minutes ago, Aufc said:

There's not many things that they can hide behind tbh. 

I have no mental health issues (except some sexual deviancy) and am quite fat. 
What should i be held accountable for exactly? And to whom? 
If it's just for being fat, then i'm not sure that's any of your business frankly. 

It creates health issues which costs the NHS a fortune and will have contributed to a decent
number of covid deaths

11 hours ago, virginton said:

There's not many things that they can hide behind tbh. 

10 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Other than the lack of stigma

7 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Try locking your fridge.

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

It creates health issues which costs the NHS a fortune and will have contributed to a decent
number of covid deaths

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

number of covid deaths

Inadequate sad acts need someone to look down on to feel better about themselves.

Sanctimonious twats. 

Inadequate sad acts need someone to look down on to feel better about themselves.
Sanctimonious twats. 

I am genuinely not trying to look down on anyone and i am sorry if you feel like that. However, there needs to be a serious discussion within the UK regarding obesity. I realise it is an awkward conversation for a lot of people but the spend on obesity and diabetes is greater than the spend on police, the fire service and judicial system combined.

I am genuinely not trying to look down on anyone and i am sorry if you feel like that. However, there needs to be a serious discussion within the UK regarding obesity. I realise it is an awkward conversation for a lot of people but the spend on obesity and diabetes is greater than the spend on police, the fire service and judicial system combined.
There can be a serious conversation, it just cant be "get the finger out fatties or we will punish you"

1 minute ago, Aufc said:

It's a risk factor. I haven't been to the Doctor for about 10 years and that was with a sporting injury. I've had 2 days off work sick in that time. 

There are many risk factors to their own and public health that people contribute to with their lifestyles. 

Suggesting fat people in particular need to be held to account is samctimonious. 

It's a risk factor. I haven't been to the Doctor for about 10 years and that was with a sporting injury. I've had 2 days off work sick in that time. 
There are many risk factors to their own and public health that people contribute to with their lifestyles. 
Suggesting fat people in particular need to be held to account is samctimonious. 

I said some obese people need to be accountable.

Might as well put my UO's in the now as obesity seems to be getting discussed. The Mrs and I have decided to start eating healthier this year. With lockdown and laziness we were eating far too much junk, particularly takeaways. We started on January 3rd having our meals from Pinch of Nom cookbooks (absolutely delicious btw and very easy to make). We've both lost over a stone since starting and our exercise has been minimal to non-existent, the weight's come off purely down to eating better. So my UO's are this:-

1) Losing weight isn't an achievement. The first couple of days you're stomach craves the junk food but if you have the mindset to lose weight and eat healthy it's really not difficult - cut out the shite and give yourself a decent calorie intake for the day.

2) To eat healthy isn't expensive at all. I did used to think the opposite but having stuck to these meals and only buying the ingredients required I can safely say I'm better off financially buying this stuff than the usual shite I'd buy.

6 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I said some obese people need to be accountable.

I don't see why. I can see why it would be beneficial for fewer people to be overweight or more people to be less overweight. 

Who are they to be held accountable to, and why?

I'd expect their medical professionals already hold them accountable, to the point of refusing operations until they've lost weight. My doctor certainly wasn't shy about telling me i was tooi heavy. 

It all just feels like righteous indignation against a group that you've identified as lacking your wonderful virtue of thin-ness. 

Might as well put my UO's in the now as obesity seems to be getting discussed. The Mrs and I have decided to start eating healthier this year. With lockdown and laziness we were eating far too much junk, particularly takeaways. We started on January 3rd having our meals from Pinch of Nom cookbooks (absolutely delicious btw and very easy to make). We've both lost over a stone since starting and our exercise has been minimal to non-existent, the weight's come off purely down to eating better. So my UO's are this:-

1) Losing weight isn't an achievement. The first couple of days you're stomach craves the junk food but if you have the mindset to lose weight and eat healthy it's really not difficult - cut out the shite and give yourself a decent calorie intake for the day.

2) To eat healthy isn't expensive at all. I did used to think the opposite but having stuck to these meals and only buying the ingredients required I can safely say I'm better off financially buying this stuff than the usual shite I'd buy.

Make the weeping tiger. Its class

26 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
27 minutes ago, Aufc said:

There can be a serious conversation, it just cant be "get the finger out fatties or we will punish you"

There can't be a serious discussion if the first reaction to being asked if they think maybe they should do something about being obese is to get offended and go on about it being their business and their business only.

That reaction alone is why we don't do anything to seriously tackle the problem in our society.