Unpopular opinions.

3 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Rock music is by far the shitiest genre. 

Give me Northern Soul, Gospel, Jazz, Blues, Opera, Punk any day of the week ahead of clapped-out Clapton and his fellow tired, boring electric guitarists. 

Keith Richards says that rock sounds like marching music.   No roll and all rock. 

There is a channel on YouTube that has lots of brilliant northern soul.  Type in Widdersoul and there are scores of videos with three northern soul songs on each one.  The best thing I have ever discovered on the internet.   There is something wrong if you don't like northern soul.  That channel is worth it if you haven't already came across it. 

Guest TheJTS98
On 25/03/2021 at 20:01, Pato said:

TED talks are a big pile of shite.

Inclined to agree with this more and more as time passes.

Some are genuinely excellent. Usually the more straightforward ones. But many of them are willy-waving shite from people who have been dealt a really good hand in life and give a Ted Talk about how anybody can do what they have done, with zero awareness that their choices are not available to the vast majority of people.

Many TED Talks can be switched off as soon as the speaker says, 'So, I had just left Harvard and had no idea what I was gonna dooooo with my liiiife, RIGHT?'

A good example of this recurring TED theme is this colossal bell-end whose handy tips for learning a language quickly are

1) Do not need to have a job

2) Have the means to move to the country of the language you want to learn for an indefinite period of time (despite not having a job)

3) Have the money (despite having no job) to hire a private one-to-one native-speaker tutor to hang around with you for three hours a day

Easy!

On the other hand, some of the simple ones are quite good.

No reinventing the wheel in this one, but the message about how to make simple changes in life is effective and genuinely quite easy for anyone to apply to some area - big or small - of their life.

Edited by TheJTS98

3 hours ago, Empty It said:

Northern Soul is dreadful and people that go to these northern soul nights are OFTW.

I always think there's an "Emperor's new clothes" vibe about it.  No-one wants to be first to say how shite 99% of it is.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Inclined to agree with this more and more as time passes.
Some are genuinely excellent. Usually the more straightforward ones. But many of them are willy-waving shite from people who have been dealt a really good hand in life and give a Ted Talk about how anybody can do what they have done, with zero awareness that their choices are not available to the vast majority of people.
Many TED Talks can be switched off as soon as the speaker says, 'So, I had just left Harvard and had no idea what I was gonna dooooo with my liiiife, RIGHT?'
A good example of this recurring TED theme is this colossal bell-end whose handy tips for learning a language quickly are
1) Do not need to have a job
2) Have the means to move to the country of the language you want to learn for an indefinite period of time (despite not having a job)
3) Have the money (despite having no job) to hire a private one-to-one native-speaker tutor to hang around with you for three hours a day
Easy!
[/url] On the other hand, some of the simple ones are quite good.
No reinventing the wheel in this one, but the message about how to make simple changes in life is effective and genuinely quite easy for anyone to apply to some area - big or small - of their life.

That's a great example of a shite one with an inherently dislikable speaker, but it's TEDx, which has a very low bar. The actual TED talks are generally of a much higher standard.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, Junior Pub League said:
Irn-Bru isnt even the best flavour of fizzy that Barrs make.
Red Kola and Cream Soda are far better.

Irn-bru is overrated but it's Barr's only decent product. The rest tastes awful.

Cherryade and Cream Soda are excellent, you heathen.