Unpopular opinions.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I appreciate this has gone in a different direction but I do think a lot of people buying dogs are doing it for reasons of fashion.  Several people in my work have spent literally thousands of pounds on pedigree dogs in the last year, I think a lot of people who might have wanted a dog who are now working from home have decided to get one but they seem to be going for purebreeds rather than going to rehome a dog from a home.  A friend of one of my colleagues drove to England last summer and paid nearly £10,000 for a purebreed English bulldog.

You also see dog walking vans everywhere now - clearly even though people are in the house more they are still relying on others to walk and take care of their dogs.  A colleague of mine pays someone to take his dog for a big walk a couple of times a week (he's got quite a breed that needs a big walk) and my next door neighbours, who have a bulldog, have someone who comes in every day to give it some care.

A couple of small, new estates have been built near me. I think the builders are fitting a dog dependent on the price of the property. £250k gets you a Yorkie, £300k a cockapoo, £400k will get you the Miniature French Bulldog.

You can get WhatsApp on a browser and have been able to for ages type in web.whatsapp.com
Thank you very much! I guess I looked for it ages ago and it didn't exist. Never thought to check again as I assumed there was some reason they hadn't implemented it.

So I take it back, WhatsApp is probably slightly better than Facebook Messenger.

11 hours ago, ICTChris said:

You also see dog walking vans everywhere now 

Those are dog stealing vans Chris. Don't you even read Facebook?

Agree with everything else though. Ordinarily I'm of the Gareth Keenan "Your money; spend it how you want" school of thought. However, given that 10s of thousands of dogs are euthanised every year, it boils my piss that people will spend huge sums on purebreds as status symbols. And don't get me started on the morons who drop shedloads of coin on Yorkipoos, Weimadors, Dockers and the like. They're mixed breed dogs FFS, the same as you can pick up from any shelter in the land. Grr. 

A guy at work said to me last year (pre-pandemic) that he wanted to get a dog and knew what kind

When I replied "French bulldog?" he looked confused and asked me how I knew. I considered letting him believe that I had secret powers (yet chose to work a boring job) but instead simply replied that it was because that what most were saying, i.e. it was a fashion trend.

Incidentally, if I was getting a dog (I won't) it wouldn't be something so shite as a French Bulldog or, even worse, a hideous wee yappy thing.

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m desperate to get a dog, and have been for a long time, but live in a top floor flat so it’s not really an option. I’ll genuinely end up selling my property (that I spent the best part of a year doing up) far sooner purely to be able to get a dog.

Greyhounds don't bark but probably not suited for a top floor flat anyway.

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

A guy at work said to me last year (pre-pandemic) that he wanted to get a dog and knew what kind

When I replied "French bulldog?" he looked confused and asked me how I knew. I considered letting him believe that I had secret powers (yet chose to work a boring job) but instead simply replied that it was because that what most were saying, i.e. it was a fashion trend.

Incidentally, if I was getting a dog (I won't) it wouldn't be something so shite as a French Bulldog or, even worse, a hideous wee yappy thing.

French bulldogs are a lot of fun but they have so many health problems and most of those problems are created due to over breeding i genuinely feel sorry for them, there was a period about 5 years ago when seemed that everyone had one, it really that irritates me when folk get a dog based on aesthetic reasons. 

Dogs are cool... Humans not so much. 

Do people not go for breeeds like French bulldogs because they are small and don’t need walked as much? 

We never had dogs but our relatives who lived in the countryside did, they had labs and golden retrievers who needed long walks every day and they were able to do this. If you are a commuter in a town or city you can’t do that so it’s better to get a smaller dog. English bulldogs barely need to be walked at all, as far as I know.

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I sometimes see folk walking penwipers* and think "just get a cat, mate"

*Old slang for a wee dug. Think it should be brought back into use 

I just call them "rats". Might cause offence, but anyone happy to be seen in public with something that belongs in a Kardashian's handbag isn't going to give you too much trouble.

Not sure this will be unpopular, but dope smokers should be banned from public transport. The bus I'm on each morning is filled with the rancid smell from a guy who has obviously just had a puff. Stale ciggy smoke was bad but fresh dope  smoke is stomach churning.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I don't find the Kenneth Williams "oh matron" patter funny. 

I don't mind it. I think it's important to remember that all the elderly posters are capable of retaining about 4 thoughts in their head and they should be encouraged to share those 4 thoughts even if one of them is just a meme of a long dead comedy actor pulling faces.

14 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I don't mind it. I think it's important to remember that all the elderly posters are capable of retaining about 4 thoughts in their head and they should be encouraged to share those 4 thoughts even if one of them is just a meme of a long dead comedy actor pulling faces.

I wouldn't have a problem if it was used sparingly but you see it on almost every thread now. Can we limit all the horny old guys to 2 Kenneths a day? 

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I wouldn't have a problem if it was used sparingly but you see it on almost every thread now. Can we limit all the horny old guys to 2 Kenneths a day? 

@Jacksgranda would have to cut his posting down by about a half 

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I don't find the Kenneth Williams "oh matron" patter funny. 

Yes it’s not funny when it’s being constantly rammed down your throat in every thread you come across.