Unpopular opinions.

Glastonbury now reflects the universalisation of culture, it was an event that had an outsider status, was something apart from everyday life. Now, it’s really another stop on the grand middle class merry go round.

There are a lot of reasons for this - the way pop culture has become the main unifying culture in modern life, the effect of legislation in the 1990s on raves, festivals and general culture as well as many other factors.

20 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I fell asleep on the couch about five (underwhelming) songs into the McCartney set around 11pm. Woke up two hours later and he was still on stage, albeit it looked like an encore. 

What did I miss? 

How the other half live, indeed. On a related note, what username did you used to have? It has been annoying me for far too long & I need closure. PM me babez etc xx.

7 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

How the other half live, indeed. On a related note, what username did you used to have? It has been annoying me for far too long & I need closure. PM me babez etc xx.

There used to be a bit on people's profile pages where you could see their previous usernames, but it seems to have disappeared. Or I'm too cack-handed to see it these days. Anyone else remember this, or am I going mad?

28 minutes ago, BFTD said:

There used to be a bit on people's profile pages where you could see their previous usernames, but it seems to have disappeared. Or I'm too cack-handed to see it these days. Anyone else remember this, or am I going mad?

I am sure I remember having the same kind of conversation with one of the Mods, & how it would enhance our Forum experience. But I tended to be an absolute dick back then, so best let it lie. @Cosmic Joejust PM me with your old name, it is causing me untold mental anguish.

9 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

I am sure I remember having the same kind of conversation with one of the Mods, & how it would enhance our Forum experience. But I tended to be an absolute dick back then, so best let it lie. @Cosmic Joejust PM me with your old name, it is causing me untold mental anguish.

f**k the PM part; we all deserve to know if he used to be Supras!

11 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

You know Glastonbury is shite when they are still wheeling out the likes of Paul McCartney as a headline act.

He has turned into one of those sacred cows that nobody can criticise on tv or radio despite having some really pish music in his - post Beatles - back catalogue.

Glasto seems to throw one of these mental turns on the Saturday - Kylie Minogue was headliner on the Saturday 2019 and she cant sing for shit. I can only assume they think everyone is so out their tits by then that they wont notice how bad they really are.

I'd still go to a smaller festival but stuck on a field for 3 days with 2 hundred thousand other people sounds like claustrophobic hell to me, worse than the London Carnival.

Edited by welshbairn

Glastonbury now reflects the universalisation of culture, it was an event that had an outsider status, was something apart from everyday life. Now, it’s really another stop on the grand middle class merry go round.
There are a lot of reasons for this - the way pop culture has become the main unifying culture in modern life, the effect of legislation in the 1990s on raves, festivals and general culture as well as many other factors.
This. I bet Glastonbury used to be brilliant but I was sent videos of people who'd woke up early yesterday to go jogging round the campsite with all their running gear on, it's just a middle class haven nowadays.