Unpopular opinions.

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

If folk don't enjoy it as much that's fair enough. I just don't see how the world would be a better place without streaming services other than for folk who had shares in Blockbuster. 

Folk who are into social media would put forward a similar argument though. 

I'm a fan of Netflix, not a fan of social media but can see how some would be.

Both have added to our choices and, for me, that's a plus.

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Folk who are into social media would put forward a similar argument though. 

I'm a fan of Netflix, not a fan of social media but can see how some would be.

Both have added to our choices and, for me, that's a plus.

There's loads of reasons why social media has been bad for society though. I don't think the same can be said for steaming services tbh. 

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

There's loads of reasons why social media has been bad for society though. I don't think the same can be said for steaming services tbh. 

Streaming services are basically the same thing without the interactivity. 

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

You can equally find loads of reasons why social media has been good for society though.  This forum alone kicks into touch the negative aspects of Facebook and the like IMO.

I can't find much to criticise streaming services for and agree it's a strange one to identify as a negative.

14 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Streaming services are basically the same thing without the interactivity. 

10 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Explain? 

Aye, this. 

11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

You can equally find loads of reasons why social media has been good for society though.  This forum alone kicks into touch the negative aspects of Facebook and the like IMO.

I can't find much to criticise streaming services for and agree it's a strange one to identify as a negative.

I did say it didn't apply to messageboards tbf. It was specifically FB and Twitter. 

12 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Explain? 

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye, this. 

They both exist to keep peoples' attention. Netflix's suggested viewing isn't any different from any social media platform showing you content with the main purpose being to keep you looking at it. I know the point you're making is "streaming stuff is easier than physical media" but that just raises its own issues with the concept of ownership and consumer rights. I'm not going to say streaming services aren't convenient and that I'm not watching something on one right now but they're not really any different.

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

There are reasons for social media being good for society too, though. 

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

They both exist to keep peoples' attention. Netflix's suggested viewing isn't any different from any social media platform showing you content with the main purpose being to keep you looking at it. I know the point you're making is "streaming stuff is easier than physical media" but that just raises its own issues with the concept of ownership and consumer rights. I'm not going to say streaming services aren't convenient and that I'm not watching something on one right now but they're not really any different.

My dislike for social media* is more the "look at me"/false life/everyone has an opinion/folk are fucking vile to each/faux concern for others/outwardly racist/bigoted/homophobic. I don't think streaming services are guilty of the same thing in comparison. 

*FB/Twitter

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

The bad heavily outweighs the good IMO. 

Fair comment, but it shouldn’t be completely written off. For us, for example, it’s good for updating extended family who are far away on things. 

Not big on the one upmanship like you say. But it can be can be handy for a wee update on the kids etc for cousins etc. who we don’t physically talk to regularly but like to know the script. 

Just now, Rugster said:

Fair comment, but it shouldn’t be completely written off. For us, for example, it’s good for updating extended family who are far away on things. 

Not big on the one upmanship like you say. But it can be can be handy for a wee update on the kids etc for cousins etc. who we don’t physically talk to regularly but like to know the script. 

I don't have family miles away but I'd imagine that would definitely be beneficial. It will clearly have a positive impact for people and as someone who doesn't use it I'm perhaps guilty of only hearing/being shown the bad, which is bad enough for me not to want to sign up. 

As I said years ago - I'm forever grateful to FB for outing folk as horrible c***s without me having to waste time speaking with them :lol:

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't have family miles away but I'd imagine that would definitely be beneficial. It will clearly have a positive impact for people and as someone who doesn't use it I'm perhaps guilty of only hearing/being shown the bad, which is bad enough for me not to want to sign up. 

As I said years ago - I'm forever grateful to FB for outing folk as horrible c***s without me having to waste time speaking with them :lol:

For every decent person on it, there’s at least five Elevenerifes. 

The traditional fry-up has had its day and needs to be consigned to the bins.  Not that it's a bad meal - it isn't - but has been spoiled by a. shite ingredients and b. the appearance of 'foreign muck' - hash browns, tinned tomatoes and baked beans - on the plate.

A much better - like a light year better - Sunday brunch or 'special breakfast' is 1.  kedgeree.  2.  Rump steak with egg and fried tatties (made from boiled potato) 3. Omelette Arnold Bennett.  4.  The daddy of them all - devilled kidneys on toast.

51 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I'd replace FB with Bebo nae bother.

Bebo seemed like it was just MySpace for tweens, right down to the horrifying Web 1.0 tiled backgrounds and animated GIFs.

Netflix has done an excellent job of keeping me at arms length by being chock-full of shite. Absolutely stuffed with it.

17 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Bebo seemed like it was just MySpace for tweens, right down to the horrifying Web 1.0 tiled backgrounds and animated GIFs.

Netflix has done an excellent job of keeping me at arms length by being chock-full of shite. Absolutely stuffed with it.

Netflix is fine, got some great content on it to keep me amused every 2nd evening. Champ Man 01/02 the rest of the time.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Netflix is fine, got some great content on it to keep me amused every 2nd evening. Champ Man 01/02 the rest of the time.

Bebo? CM 01/02?

Are you using Netflix to find out what happens with Ross and Rachel?

Bebo was quality, my pal made me a flashing ‘skin’ and you could blast your own tunes at whoever opened your page. Make your top of 16 and it was top tier. I imagine some wee geeks were furious, but thems the breaks when you don’t get any ‘luvs’.