E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

When I was at Uni they had a partnership with Microsoft (Microsoft Software Alliance I think it was called) that gave us reduced, and often free versions of their programmes. I took full advantage getting my own (now outdated) copies of the Office Suite, client and server operating systems, and possibly even MS Project (we certainly used it but I can't remember if I downloaded it or not because I hated using it, Gantt Charts :yucky )

I also recently enrolled on a short course at the uni in Dumfries and I qualified for something similar. I didn't look into on that occasion as there was nothing I needed so I don't know if they've tightened up what you can get for free.

Certainly worth your while enquiring about it at your University.

Cheers, I've fired an e-mail off to somebody so hopefully I don't need to fork out the ridiculous prices!

I've an old Android tablet kicking about my parent's house that used to belong to my Mum. It's a pretty low spec cheap thing I bought her a few Christmases ago to see if she would take to it. She did, and has since upgraded to a Kindle due to the chronic shitness of the old tablet. The spec can be found here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-Astro-9-7-Android/dp/B00ANJK3UK

Now if it was an old Windows-based machine having the above problems I'd do a fresh install on it, possibly upgrade to a newer OS, and run a stripped down version of it without any of the crapware installed, just the bare minimum such as a web browser. It would obviously still be slow, but capable of doing a job. I think getting my Dad to use e-mail is a stretch too far (he'd have no-one to e-mail for starters!) but if I could get him using the BBC Sport app (he still uses Ceefax on the red button) and possibly YouTube for the Queens highlights that'd be progress.

So two questions really:

1. Is it an easy job to blank an Android tablet and start from scratch, and

2. Is it going to be worth my while with a machine this age and spec?

Any useful websites for the above would be greatly appreciated. I should point out that this is for my own benefit as a geeky project more than it is for my Dad. There is a strong possibility he won't even use it, but at the minute it's just an expensive paper-weight and it won't be the end of the world if I break it in my quest to learn about the Android OS.

I've an old Android tablet kicking about my parent's house that used to belong to my Mum. It's a pretty low spec cheap thing I bought her a few Christmases ago to see if she would take to it. She did, and has since upgraded to a Kindle due to the chronic shitness of the old tablet. The spec can be found here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-Astro-9-7-Android/dp/B00ANJK3UK

Now if it was an old Windows-based machine having the above problems I'd do a fresh install on it, possibly upgrade to a newer OS, and run a stripped down version of it without any of the crapware installed, just the bare minimum such as a web browser. It would obviously still be slow, but capable of doing a job. I think getting my Dad to use e-mail is a stretch too far (he'd have no-one to e-mail for starters!) but if I could get him using the BBC Sport app (he still uses Ceefax on the red button) and possibly YouTube for the Queens highlights that'd be progress.

So two questions really:

1. Is it an easy job to blank an Android tablet and start from scratch, and

2. Is it going to be worth my while with a machine this age and spec?

Any useful websites for the above would be greatly appreciated. I should point out that this is for my own benefit as a geeky project more than it is for my Dad. There is a strong possibility he won't even use it, but at the minute it's just an expensive paper-weight and it won't be the end of the world if I break it in my quest to learn about the Android OS.

1. Yes. Far easier than a windows machine. Google factory reset for that model

2. For those two apps, yes. You're only issue might be if the apps require a higher version of Android than is currently installed and there are no upgrades available. If that is the case, or you just want to get more geeky, look up custom ROMS for it. xda developers forums are a good place to start. Often a custom ROM can run faster than the official one, so its also worth looking into for that reason

ETA - seeing as its Friday

1. This is C&P from another site, so dont blame me if it doesnt work!

With the device turned off, press and hold the volume down button, and then briefly press the power button. - Wait for the screen with the three Android images to appear, and then release the volume down button. - Press volume down to select clear storage, and then press power. - Press volume up to start the factory reset.

2. Custom ROM

Edited by Mr X

1. Yes. Far easier than a windows machine. Google factory reset for that model

2. For those two apps, yes. You're only issue might be if the apps require a higher version of Android than is currently installed and there are no upgrades available. If that is the case, or you just want to get more geeky, look up custom ROMS for it. xda developers forums are a good place to start. Often a custom ROM can run faster than the official one, so its also worth looking into for that reason

ETA - seeing as its Friday

1. This is C&P from another site, so dont blame me if it doesnt work!

With the device turned off, press and hold the volume down button, and then briefly press the power button. - Wait for the screen with the three Android images to appear, and then release the volume down button. - Press volume down to select clear storage, and then press power. - Press volume up to start the factory reset.

2. Custom ROM

That's a great help thanks.

I do want to go down the custom ROM route just for a play about really. I'll report my progress (or lack of!).

• 2 weeks later...

When I search for images (steady), my computer displays the thumbnails, but when I click on a thumbnail to view it in a larger image the pane is blank, any thoughts?

As palmy_c says but what/where are you searching? Online or on your pc?

What program are you using to open the pictures, and have you got the latest version of the software?

I *pause for laughs* am using IE and Bing.

ETA, this has only happened in the last 10 days.

Edited by Zen Archer

I've got an iPhone 5s and just over the last couple of days Twitter won't update unless I'm connected to wifi.. Anyone know what's going on?

I've tried logging out and in and deleting the hope but still nothing. It's also nothing to do with running out of data because everything else is loading fine!

When you installed Chrome it should have asked if you wanted to import your favourites I think.

It's a while since I've done it but you might have had to have chosen advanced setup.

Try googling "import IE favourites to Chrome" and you should find a guide.

It's not true what everyone says about QotS supporters, most of you are OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Just signed up to Amazon Prime for a month to get quick delivery on a book. Fully intend to cancel it before they start charging, but will it work abroad for video? Going to Malta for a week and was thinking of taking my Chromecast dongle just in case the hotel telly has a USB connection. Or I could watch on my Nexus tablet. Would I have to go through a proxie?

Just signed up to Amazon Prime for a month to get quick delivery on a book. Fully intend to cancel it before they start charging, but will it work abroad for video? Going to Malta for a week and was thinking of taking my Chromecast dongle just in case the hotel telly has a USB connection. Or I could watch on my Nexus tablet. Would I have to go through a proxie?

Just cancel the prime now before you forget, you still get it for the full month. :thumsup2

We don't need to know about your holiday shenanigans!!

• 2 weeks later...

My galaxy s4 flashed up a message today saying "memory card unmounted unexpectedly" or some such pish. All the apps that were on the card are still appearing in the app drawer but they're greyed out. When I go into settings/storage the only option is to insert card, instead of unmount.

I've inserted the card into 2 different pc's via card readers, and neither of them recognise the card at all.

Needless to say, the stuff on the card is all stuff i'd love to keep - family photos etc - and I'd be gutted to lose them.

Everything points to the card being gubbed, but do any of you guys know if there's anything I can do to get stuff back?

It doesn't sound promising I'm afraid. As a long shot you could try connecting the phone to a PC and doing a full sync just in case Windows can still "see" the card. It might be worth searching through the folder structure of the phone in case copies of your files have been moved elsewhere. For example I think if you send a photo over Whatsapp it saves a copy in the Whatsapp folder as well as the normal DCIM location.

I can't help regarding professional data recovery solutions because I've no experience of them. I know they are meant to be pricey though.