The Falkirk FC Thread

In every game Watson has played this season he has played well. He has made a single bad mistake in almost every game which makes supporters judge him by that mistake rather than his overall good performances.

He hasn't played well in every game this season, no player can say that. He's a decent solid centre half who will go and head things etc. Technically he isn't great and as you say, he generally makes a howler most games.

Can't have someone playing well for 89 mins then making a complete arse of it in the 90th every week

Edited by ToonBairn

Well to be honest he wasn't going to play for FFC again this season as he was away on loan.

I fully expected him to be pumped in the summer after that.

Seems he's also a bit of an arse away from the pitch also.

Forgive me if I'm not too bothered from an FFC point of view.

For the lad on a personal level he gets my sympathy.

How did it happen anyway?

Totally agree with the point he wasn't going to play for us again but a degree of sympathy for him with the injury. People have opinions of him which is fair enough.

Injury came from innocuous incident in training I believe

He hasn't played well in every game this season, no player can say that. He's a decent solid centre half who will go and head things etc. Technically he isn't great and as you say, he generally makes a howler most games.

Can't have someone playing well for 89 mins then making a complete arse of it in the 90th every week

When I think of some of the CH's we've had eg, Flynn, Milne who've made some real howlers, he's really not that bad. He's quite consistent actually.

We've had some others like Ireland and Khalis who were just bad all the time.

Fortunately he's now cut out the mistakes and has hardly put a foot wrong recently. I agree though you can't have a defender making one howler a game no matter how he plays for the other 89 mins or so.

I notice the subject of plastic pitches has reared its head again in the papers today. Noticed a quote from Fraser Wishart saying that one of his members had recently had to leave his club because he had been told he couldn't play or train on artificial surfaces. Could that be our old right back? Still can't believe anyone would rather play on the shocking pitches we've seen on the telly at Hearts, Motherwell and Aberdeen recently than a decent plastic one.

most of the articles I have seen about artificial pitches either has a picture of Fraser Fyvie or mentions him getting injured at Alloa. I sure is injury was his own fault as he had the wrong type of boots.

When I think of some of the CH's we've had eg, Flynn, Milne who've made some real howlers, he's really not that bad. He's quite consistent actually.

Yeah Kenny Milne, part of our most successful centre half pairing over the last 10 years, and Paul Watson are comparable...

Yeah Kenny Milne, part of our most successful centre half pairing over the last 10 years, and Paul Watson are comparable...

That's the point I'm trying to make.

Milne was generally sound but his howlers were regular. Flynn gave us a howler in almost every game he played but was ok most of the time and his attitude was excellent.

I don't know how anyone can say McHugh has "looked the part" at any stage. He's done nothing either good or bad.

Him and Baird were beginning to strike up a decent partnership. He was playing when we were rolling a few teams over in the Autumn. His movement was excellent and he is pretty quick.

Was speaking to an ex pro who was helping out with the free agent coaching sessions that are organised in the summer and he was raving about McHugh's quality. As I said before it is a pity he seems to have glass legs.

Flynn did make some real rickets when Pressley signed him however he had an excellent season under Holt. Especially after Christmas was we were pushing to go up.

Milne was generally sound but his howlers were regular. Flynn gave us a howler in almost every game he played but was ok most of the time and his attitude was excellent.

We have had plenty of centre halves in recent times that have looked decent and switched off for that one or in some cases many moments in a game, I still think Vaulks could be one of the best in Scotland at centre half, he has a superb spring in him to make up for not being the tallest and we miss his long range of passing when he is in midfield, swings and roundabouts tho as we benefit from his long range shooting.

Watson can be faulted for a few of our goals this season in not picking up for that instance, loose in possession or simply not being being forceful towards the ball, he has improved tho but I still get the heart in mouth sometimes when he is on the ball in tight areas

Aafjes is one of the best we couldnt keep in recent years, I think down to family illness tho....

We have had plenty of centre halves in recent times that have looked decent and switched off for that one or in some cases many moments in a game, I still think Vaulks could be one of the best in Scotland at centre half, he has a superb spring in him to make up for not being the tallest and we miss his long range of passing when he is in midfield, swings and roundabouts tho as we benefit from his long range shooting.

Watson can be faulted for a few of our goals this season in not picking up for that instance, loose in possession or simply not being being forceful towards the ball, he has improved tho but I still get the heart in mouth sometimes when he is on the ball in tight areas

Aafjes is one of the best we couldnt keep in recent years, I think down to family illness tho.

liked him a lot...also thought cedric uras was an excellent centre half

Agree to a certain extent. Don't remember Milne having many goal conceding mistakes as Watson, even at a much higher level where mistakes are punished more. I do like Watson though.

Agree to a certain extent. Don't remember Milne having many goal conceding mistakes as Watson, even at a much higher level where mistakes are punished more. I do like Watson though.

Seriously? Milne was an absolute bombscare of a CB. And I never got this love for Aafjes. He was a reasonably good player but didn't have the concentration for defender (much like Vaulks). One of the worst defensive displays I've ever seen was by him against Hibs at Easter Road, admittedly as full back

Him and Baird were beginning to strike up a decent partnership. He was playing when we were rolling a few teams over in the Autumn. His movement was excellent and he is pretty quick.

Was speaking to an ex pro who was helping out with the free agent coaching sessions that are organised in the summer and he was raving about McHugh's quality. As I said before it is a pity he seems to have glass legs.

For me, the only thing McHugh really offered was pace, though with that he wasn't that fast. What did become clear was his decision making always seemed to be wrong. The most glaring examples of this being his performance in the Peterhead game (and rightly so hooked not long after half time), or the first Hibs game at home, where he had a chance to challenge for a header into an open net, yet went for a bicycle kick!

Can't fault his effort, but unfortunately I just don't think he's got it in comparison to O'Hara, Baird or Miller.

Seriously? Milne was an absolute bombscare of a CB. And I never got this love for Aafjes. He was a reasonably good player but didn't have the concentration for defender (much like Vaulks). One of the worst defensive displays I've ever seen was by him against Hibs at Easter Road, admittedly as full back

Aafjes was a better midfielder than defender. He had the pace to get up and down the pitch no problem. Not a centre half though.

I always quite liked Milne. Preferred him out on the left though