The Falkirk FC Thread

Whatever happened to player swaps? Never seems to happen these days. We could punt the likes of Rankin and craigen to someone else for one of there players. Watson another one that can go. Houston needs to get his finger out and to start wheeling and dealing.

Aye let's ask hibs for a swap. McGinn for Rankin.

The more I think about Houston coming out in the press and telling the world he has no money, I start thinking about how he left Dundee Utd.

Similar type of thing from memory.

As much as I can't stand the Chairman the Board are correct to tell him to shuffle the pack first.

Houston has made a roaring c**t of the summer recruitment. If I was his gaffer I would be saying the same. Sort your mess out first and we will help you get a couple of players in.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Whatever happened to player swaps? Never seems to happen these days. We could punt the likes of Rankin and craigen to someone else for one of there players. Watson another one that can go. Houston needs to get his finger out and to start wheeling and dealing.

Jim Jeffries likes this.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

The more I think about Houston coming out in the press and telling the world he has no money, I start thinking about how he left Dundee Utd.

As much as I can't stand the Chairman the Board are correct to tell him to shuffle the pack first.

Houston has made a roaring c**t of the summer recruitment. If I was his gaffer I would be saying the same. Sort your mess out first and we will help you get a couple of players in.

I agree with this. We have near enough two proven first team players for every position, yet none for the right side of midfield.

Rankin's wage was a complete waste and a vintage lazy signing as people called out at the time. The cash we spent on Kidd plus his wage would've covered 3 players.

Houston has had money to spend, probably more than any manager outwith Hibs/Dundee Utd this season. He hasn't used it well at all.

I agree with this. We have near enough two proven first team players for every position, yet none for the right side of midfield.
Rankin's wage was a complete waste and a vintage lazy signing as people called out at the time. The cash we spent on Kidd plus his wage would've covered 3 players.
Houston has had money to spend, probably more than any manager outwith Hibs/Dundee Utd this season. He hasn't used it well at all.

How much did we spend on Kidd?

Everyone could see the Rankin signing coming which made it even more infuriating. Still makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Not only that, but he made reference to Utd and how they "have more money now than when he managed them" in the same press article.

I wonder if he has all these figures about other clubs written down or if he just remembers them

He moans about budgets far too much. Uses it as an excuse for any failings. Everyone knows Hibs and DU are bigger clubs so will have larger playing budgets - as you say Houston 'Deal with it!'.

A club our size doesn't need 2 first team players per position. A smaller squad with a better standard of player will see us out the division; not an army of bang average first division players. No one will ever understand the signing of John Rankin. 

Ideally you're looking for a strong first XI, two or three attacking game changers off the bench and a couple of more defensive back ups. The rest should be youngsters. Take advantage of guys like Muirhead or Sibbald who can play multiple positions as your second option for certain areas of the park. The season for a club our size shouldn't be a slog, we either push to win the league or do enough to get top 4 then focus everything on those three weeks.

Agree with everything above.

Also, can't remember the exact adjective, but didn't Houston say we needed more physical players after we got bodied by Kilmarnock? Nobody he recruited in summer fits that mound either.

Yip totally agree. We were murdered at Kilmarnock that day. Not that I think we can draw comparisons this season but if we were to get to the play off final this season, there is absolutely nothing to suggest we could beat any other Premier team in that same situation.

IMO, we are guising here. We are happy in the championship where we are comfortable. I hear people banging on about getting back to the top tier but let's not kid ourselves, we are not equipped to get anywhere near that standard and I'm afraid we never will get there with the real lack of ambition shown at the top. Maybe PH has taken us as far as he can and maybe the whole club needs a shake up and that includes ultimately changing the manager.

How do we convince supporters that we are indeed real contenders to have a chance of getting up? I think that boat has sailed, we have mentioned on here for long and weary about not being able to compete with the 'big guns' Hibs and DU...but in truth if we'd shown a wee bit of imagination and spent a bit more wiser and the BOD being a bit bolder backing the club after a remarkable season last season, the 'big guns' may have been trying to compete with us!

We sometimes only get out what we put in!

Tbf, we're still third lol

Yes you are correct but should our ambitions not be higher?
We are in a league with two'bigger' teams who are continually shedding points but unfortunately we don't appear to be able to capitalise.

Just imaging where we could have been if....