The Falkirk FC Thread

On 17/12/2016 at 20:42, Cowshed118 said:

IMG_1482007357.028633.jpg

Id just like to say , f**k You Falkirk , thanks

I'd look at the Shepherd miss, then change your blame position...!!

On 18/12/2016 at 19:59, Bairnardo said:

Rogers in goal. Back three of Luca, Grant and McCracken. Leahy and Kidd as wing backs.

Midfield of Hippolyte Taiwo and Sibbald.

Austin and Miller upfront.

Thats relevant changes, not this pish if changing the LB and CH like for like. Its well balanced unlike the current set up. Give that fucker a go Houstie.

I personally feel you need to have someone who has either a bit pace or comfortable on the ball to play in the centre role of a back three, so with that in mind, I'd have Muirhead in that role, the one he excelled in for Patrick Thistle. Luca can be scary on the ball, Grant seems to move his whole body when passing the ball and that leaves McCracken, who is probably the best with the ball at his feet but not the ideal scenario for me.

We seem to have made the 3-5-2 formation since McCall, the obscurest formation ever, whereas most other teams air it out every now and again.

17 hours ago, bejazz1 said:

We are needing someone to put the ball in the net on a regular basis. If O'Hara is our serious best option we must be in some shape as a team

Relying on an under 20's player to make the difference is asking far too much. He needs time and a gradual introduction. Talk about putting pressure on young shoulders. I'm afraid we need some better options up front.

I take it we are still interested in making the play offs, let's be honest, this season it's our only option

Age is only a number, if you are good enough, you are good enough.

I share your sentiments tho to some extent but still keep my glass to be half full and not half empty.

We don't need strikers so no interest in Loy or Biabi, who was pretty rotten anyway.

McGrandles could be a shout but where do you play him? Best I can think from that would be a midfield four of Taiwo-McGrandles-Sibbald-Hippolyte, which actually doesn't look half bad now that I've written it down.

I really liked Loy when he was with us but he's been poor for Dundee for ages. Taking him for six months does nothing for us even if he does alright. I can't see him being the difference between winning or losing the playoffs.

Any signings I think need to be real difference makers for this season or players we want brought in for 18 months minimum with a view to hitting the ground running next year.

Loy smacks of a lack of imagination.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

Loy's available from Dundee. As pointed out earlier, we have loads of strikers but they're not putting the ball in the net atm. Take Loy for six months and let O'Hara continue his development whilst Austin gets over his injuries.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if OHara is sent back to East Fife as maybe now the new manager will play him and get him the experience he needs.

As for Loy, I'd take him in a heartbeat even for six months and why wouldn't we, he'd improve our team for a start, which is the object and belittling a short term effect for the season is stupid especially when you have quoted McGrandles.

I personally wouldn't touch McGrandles, last year he came up half fit due to the lack of effort it seems takes place in the Norwich youth squads, now add on a coming back from a serious injury and having not played many real competitive games since when he left the first time.

I also don't think Houstie got the best out of him in the short term he had him pre being sold. If anything re loan, I'd wait till next season and go for the start of the season for six months or the whole season, that way we get him fit to play with a pre season training under his belt.

McGrandles in my opinion would fall under my definition of a difference maker for the season. There's also the possibility of him doing well for us and getting him back for next season.

I would rather have that in a position where we're light rather than giving Rory Loy a five month nostalgia run just because he happens to be available.

I think loy would be far more than just a nostalgia signing and has the ability to form a decent partnership with Baird and in turn bringing him back up to speed with goals. However it is disheartening that we are even mentioning strikers given the ones we have on our books. As has been said, a quality right mid for me would be the link to getting the strikers we have scoring more.

8 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I really liked Loy when he was with us but he's been poor for Dundee for ages. Taking him for six months does nothing for us even if he does alright. I can't see him being the difference between winning or losing the playoffs.

Any signings I think need to be real difference makers for this season or players we want brought in for 18 months minimum with a view to hitting the ground running next year.

Loy smacks of a lack of imagination.

Is it Loy or Hartley that's been poor though?

A switch back may just bring out the best in him again. Whilst I agree that our priority should be a right sided midfielder (wonder if Ryan Flynn's been getting a game?) our strikers aren't scoring and Loy's a different type to anything else we've got available. If it's affordable and we can get someone wide right I'd be happy if we went for it.

It's been Loy tbh. He just isn't good enough. He needs more support than we can give him as a forward player in our current team (Not that I think he's good enough to build a a team round anyways) and just doesn't seem to be interested when he does play.

I'll be glad to have him out on loan. Tis a shame, as I was excited when we brought him in but he's not gave enough.

v. surprised at Ludo's comments that Loy hasn't looked interested - always one of the hardest working on the pitch when he played for us.  Also effective - if not scoring then he did his fair share of creating for others. Sounds like Championship is his level. Would certainly have him back if on previous form, it's not "nostalgia" for me. Loy/McHugh dream team, no more aimless lumping high balls up the middle. 

Otherwise, Ryan Flynn?? No thankyou. Another lightweight in midfield is exactly what we DONT need. 

39 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Is it Loy or Hartley that's been poor though?

A switch back may just bring out the best in him again. Whilst I agree that our priority should be a right sided midfielder (wonder if Ryan Flynn's been getting a game?) our strikers aren't scoring and Loy's a different type to anything else we've got available. If it's affordable and we can get someone wide right I'd be happy if we went for it.

I've been told via a good source that Flynn will come back to Scotland to be nearer family once his current contract ends with Oldham in 2yr. He seems to be ever present in the Oldham team. I was told he wanted to be closer to family in that he had a young family and was thinking on schooling but I suppose in football the money options and club options can change their minds, more so English wages to Scottish in Football.

As you say, Loy is a completely different striker to what we have, he runs wide, comes deep and plays better as a two, so the latter may have affected his Dundee career if its the one up top option they use.

We do need a right hand side midfielder first but really we have 3 strikers into 2 as it stands, it should be 4 but Austin is sponsored by the NHS. McHugh is showing his pre last 10 games form, Miller altho been outperforming what I expected recently, has become a little sticky in the last couple of games. Im not gonna even mention Shepherd.

We have Rankin, Kerr, Sibbald, Taiwo and Craigen who have all filled the central role in midfield, so to suggest we are light in that area is ridiculous, ok some might not be up to it at times, but to fill your hopes on a 21yr old who really hasnt had a competitive run for the best part of 2yr and had one 90mins since breaking his leg is similar to saying OHara will save our season, albeit he couldnt get a game for East Fife. OHara and McGrandles time will come, if they are good enough.

It's been Loy tbh. He just isn't good enough. He needs more support than we can give him as a forward player in our current team (Not that I think he's good enough to build a a team round anyways) and just doesn't seem to be interested when he does play.

I'll be glad to have him out on loan. Tis a shame, as I was excited when we brought him in but he's not gave enough.

I think a fair number of our fans didn't think he would cut it in the top league. It hasn't taken Hartley long to suss it out. You are right he is just not good enough.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if OHara is sent back to East Fife as maybe now the new manager will play him and get him the experience he needs.
As for Loy, I'd take him in a heartbeat even for six months and why wouldn't we, he'd improve our team for a start, which is the object and belittling a short term effect for the season is stupid especially when you have quoted McGrandles.
I personally wouldn't touch McGrandles, last year he came up half fit due to the lack of effort it seems takes place in the Norwich youth squads, now add on a coming back from a serious injury and having not played many real competitive games since when he left the first time.
I also don't think Houstie got the best out of him in the short term he had him pre being sold. If anything re loan, I'd wait till next season and go for the start of the season for six months or the whole season, that way we get him fit to play with a pre season training under his belt.

Houston had him for 4 games. He was absolutely outstanding at Easter Road when we won there. He was sold by the Tuesday. I agree however that we should not touch him this window. However looking at the press today Houston seems to have been told to clear people out before brining anyone in. I agree he should have to do that but I also think he should get some support to get the balance of the side right.