The Falkirk FC Thread

46 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

Tony Ralston on loan from Celtic could be a decent move. Captained the Scotland U20's side to the WC semi's. Was on loan at QP I recall and played a couple of games for the Celtic first team after the wrapped up the title.

We don't need a defender though; that Allan boy that was on loan at Rotherham would be better!

7 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I remember him putting the ball over the bar when it was easier to score when we beat Hamilton in the cup a few years back. Next!

There's been a few strikers who have scored for fun in the 2nd and 3rd tier and step up and can't kick their own arse .... Nicky Clark and Declan McManus to name recent ones.

The cream should rise to the top tho.

I bumped into Mark Stewart earlier, he was entering Portugal as I was leaving. I'd have took one year of him than two years of Shepherd, tho he does appear to be quite injury prone

There's been a few strikers who have scored for fun in the 2nd and 3rd tier and step up and can't kick their own arse .... Nicky Clark and Declan McManus to name recent ones.
The cream should rise to the top tho.
I bumped into Mark Stewart earlier, he was entering Portugal as I was leaving. I'd have took one year of him than two years of Shepherd, tho he does appear to be quite injury prone

Clark got 15 goals in 30 league games last season for Dunfermline. I'll give you Declan McManus though, he's fucking rank.

And Mark Stewart? f**k sake. Aye Shepherd is utter shite but come on to f**k.

Baird away to Inverness now?

We can only hope.

Nothing against Bairdy he has done a good job for over the last 2 and a half years and probably has been one of Houstons best signings for us but it is time for him to move on.

In all seriousness he's probably a better player now. Bit like the boy stirling who just moved to Queens. Was nothing special at Stenny but dropped down the ranks and has worked his way up. Would be a bit of a gamble though . You never know what your going to get when you sign boys from the lower leagues. Could be an Austin or could be a jordan white. I'd rather have a more reliable goal scorer on board to start games with the likes of a Ryan as backup. Bit like Austin was this season till he worked his way into the team.

What calibre of player do you think we are able to attract? Andy Ryan got 23 league goals and was arguably the best player in the league below last season. For me that is exactly the kind of player we should be going for.

6 hours ago, Russ said:

Clark got 15 goals in 30 league games last season for Dunfermline. I'll give you Declan McManus though, he's fucking rank.

11 of Clark's 15 goal was against the bottom four.

After scoring 32 goals in one season with Queens, its took him 4 seasons to reach 33 goals.

I'd choose Stewart over Clark, it was merely a comment that I'd rather have Stewart as a squad player for a year than Shepherd for two. A proven player at this level v a player who won't make it as a footballer

On 10/06/2017 at 07:57, MrDust said:

11 of Clark's 15 goal was against the bottom four.

Nothing wrong with having a flat-track bully in the squad. We dropped 2 points v Ayr this season, 3 v Raith, 5 v Dumbarton and 4 v St Mirren. 15 points in total and Hibs won the league by 11. I'm not saying his goals would have won all of those points, but having a reliable goalscorer against the poorer sides is not to be sniffed at. 

Edited by lanky_ffc

11 of Clark's 15 goal was against the bottom 4.

That stat is completely irrelevant. It wouldn't matter in the slightest if all his goals came against the bottom 4 teams. He still managed to score more goals against the same teams than any of our strikers last season.

I saw Andy Ryan play in the Airdrie v Alloa play-offs, and he was terrific.

His movement off the ball and link-up play, whilst appreciating it is at a lower level, was very good, as well as scoring a great header against a much bigger defender.

Worth a gamble, given the apparent lack of available, affordable strikers around.

Swimming against the tide here but I still think with a run in the team Shepard can be a good player for us. Haven't seen the Airdrie guy but Austin has proved (if proof was needed!) that there is quality in the lower leagues. As usual most transfer deals will be done towards the start of next season. Lucky we have a support that won't panic about this....

11 hours ago, Russ said:

We can only hope.

Nothing against Bairdy he has done a good job for over the last 2 and a half years and probably has been one of Houstons best signings for us but it is time for him to move on.

What calibre of player do you think we are able to attract? Andy Ryan got 23 league goals and was arguably the best player in the league below last season. For me that is exactly the kind of player we should be going for.

Maybe a lyle Taylor, el alagui, or Rory loy type.

We need someone whose going to be ready to score goals from the off. We haven't got time for him to settle in. Austin wasn't thrown in at the deep end and we reaped the benefits later in the season. The striker we sign this close season will need to start straight from the off.

Nothing wrong with having a flat-track bully in the squad. We dropped 2 points v Ayr this season, 3 v Raith, 4 v Dumbarton and 4 v St Mirren. 13 points in total and Hibs won the league by 11. I'm not saying his goals would have won all of those points, but having a reliable goalscorer against the poorer sides is not to be sniffed at. 

If it's points dropped, it's 5 against Dumbarton.

Maybe a lyle Taylor, el alagui, or Rory loy type.
We need someone whose going to be ready to score goals from the off. We haven't got time for him to settle in. Austin wasn't thrown in at the deep end and we reaped the benefits later in the season. The striker we sign this close season will need to start straight from the off.

Neither of the 3 of them were proven at all when we signed them though. Farid was an unknown from the French amateur divisions, Lyle Taylor had only scored goals in the 7th tier of English football and Rory Loy hadn't really done anything of note before coming to us.

Of course I would absolutely love for us to bring back Rory Loy, not just a goal scorer but a great footballer at this level. I'd like to think if Dundee are willing to let him go we'd be in the mix to try sign him.

Swimming against the tide here but I still think with a run in the team Shepard can be a good player for us. Haven't seen the Airdrie guy but Austin has proved (if proof was needed!) that there is quality in the lower leagues. As usual most transfer deals will be done towards the start of next season. Lucky we have a support that won't panic about this....

Hard to judge based on a cameo against a panicking United defence but him up top alongside Austin worked really well. Must be given more time, otherwise why did he get a new deal.

For me our strike force should be a combination of Austin, O'Hara, Miller and one other. Loy ticks many boxes for me, especially in the eye candy department. I think Hippo & Shepherd could bring something to the striking department but that maybe a bit adventurous. [emoji848]

6 hours ago, Russ said:

That stat is completely irrelevant. It wouldn't matter in the slightest if all his goals came against the bottom 4 teams. He still managed to score more goals against the same teams than any of our strikers last season.

Its not irrelevant at all, stats can be twisted but that stat states to me that his level is third tier where I rate his ability.

Please twist the stats for Clark, if you do feel they are irrelevant.....

I know one of the players pretty well and he always rants about how good Shepherd is and well thought of. Hopefully he and O'Hara can get a decent run in the team to show if they can make the step up. 

Is your friend Shepherd by any chance?