The Falkirk FC Thread

41 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The stock of the club had never been higher to be able to appoint an excellent experienced coach to take us on from Hughes and yet we didnt even interview for the bloody job. 

We did interview for the job. I later spoke to one of the directors who was on the interview panel - he was the fans rep at the time - and he said that May got the job because he was the only one who had a plan. It was along the lines of "if you give me X amount of money I'll sign players Y & Z and they'll be good enough to ensure we don't go down".

We all know how that worked out.

I was told the names of the other candidates at the time but I've long since forgotten who they were.

17 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

I know that we make good use of Wyscout to identify players in England which is a tool that (from the official Wyscout website anyway) Falkirk don't appear to utilise.

18 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

Of course, scouting resources may be scarce and Houston is regularly shooting the breeze with the BBC imbeciles during the week so it might be difficult to get to see these kind of players.

You've hit the crux of the issue here. If our scouting resources are scarce, then we need to be smarter with our strategy and some form of scouting software should be used to shortlist potential targets. On top of that, Houston should be getting out to games himself instead of his cushy media appearences.

You could say the same about the board for appointing a manager at the start of the season that didn't want the job, the others that wanted the job when Yogi left was Neil McCann, Jackie MacNamara and Pressley, so take your pick out of those 3 that you would have preferred taking over.

Of course the Board, George Craig and Eddie May were all at fault as well. But for you to come out and say that it wasn't Presley's fault at all is just a load of shite. Any competent manager would have kept us up.

We shouldn't have been picking out if they 3 at all. None of them should have been anywhere near the job.

Also I've seen a lot of people make that comment about May that he didn't want the job. But surely if he didn't want it he simply wouldn't have took it? And certainly wi isn't have stuck around for so long.

1 hour ago, Believe The Hype said:

I would be extremely surprised if Pressley, a rookie manager at the time, had a better network than an established manager and former scout for the biggest club in the country to be honest. 

I wouldn't, and he doesnt

11 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

We did interview for the job. I later spoke to one of the directors who was on the interview panel - he was the fans rep at the time - and he said that May got the job because he was the only one who had a plan. It was along the lines of "if you give me X amount of money I'll sign players Y & Z and they'll be good enough to ensure we don't go down".

We all know how that worked out.

I was told the names of the other candidates at the time but I've long since forgotten who they were.

Come on The interviews were nothing more that an exercise in ticking a box.

George Craig pushed May to the rest of the Directors insisting he was the man for the job and he could work with him. George made that appointment you and I know that.

4 minutes ago, Russ said:

Of course the Board, George Craig and Eddie May were all at fault as well. But for you to come out and say that it wasn't Presley's fault at all is just a load of shite. Any competent manager would have kept us up.

We shouldn't have been picking out if they 3 at all. None of them should have been anywhere near the job.

Also I've seen a lot of people make that comment about May that he didn't want the job. But surely if he didn't want it he simply wouldn't have took it? And certainly wi isn't have stuck around for so long.

If you mean by competent manager you mean by the usual suspects they wheel out when a clubs in crisis or flirting with relegation i.e. calderwood, williamson etc Pressley had to adjust the team to the way he wanted the team to play.  You can look back there are a lot of faults and places the club went wrong i still blame the next level wheeled out by Yogi and signing journeyman on their final season and dont even go there on BoB but then again you can look at Scally as well as a few others.

If i mind right reason May took the job was he was more or less railroaded into it and they came out with you will have plenty help (pretty sure thats when Alex Smith came on the scene) to assist with the coaching.

As far as managers go Houston is the only one i would say we have got right since. We have just been unlucky with a Rangers and Hibs and Hearts in the league who have all had bigger budgets but we have still done well in competing against.

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Come on The interviews were nothing more that an exercise in ticking a box.

George Craig pushed May to the rest of the Directors insisting he was the man for the job and he could work with him. George made that appointment you and I know that.

That's certainly my view on it but that's what happens when you have a tent salesman running a football club.

With the Scott MacDonald rumour depends what way you spin it and look at it you could say he is a 34 yr old journeyman player nearing the end of his career but in past 2 yrs at SPL level 83 appearances and 24 goals  or we have Bairdy  going by wikipedia 87 appearances and 37 goals. and is 3 yrs younger.

43 minutes ago, Jackie Moon said:

With the Scott MacDonald rumour depends what way you spin it and look at it you could say he is a 34 yr old journeyman player nearing the end of his career but in past 2 yrs at SPL level 83 appearances and 24 goals  or we have Bairdy  going by wikipedia 87 appearances and 37 goals. and is 3 yrs younger.

Baird will stay, also reckon Sibbald will sign again, can't see that much changing from last season. 

MacDonald ?  can't really get my head round that unless we're maybe selling someone to Motherwell. 

20 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn2 said:

Just heard someone outside the stadium talking about us getting a young lad from Man U on loan. I think I heard the name Marshall. Apparently he needs first team football. Is he any good.
Get the idea Shandon Par

Aye but be realistic. Manchester isn't in Scotland.