The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, MetalWolf said:

Hopefully we can bring someone in to take brad McKay's slot in our squad at CB.  It's been kind of telling when you have to play a LB in Mackie (although he has done very well) and a player who's been in midfield most of the season that we are 1 short 

Losing both Donaldson & Henderson with Lang already long term, you can consider really unlucky. However with us already champions, it’s no big deal. Mackie has been outstanding since he’s got a slot, and his performances defo gives him a right for at least a year.

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

Can’t see it either but Burns is one of those few decent journalists left who are usually on the money. 

Agreed. Although he also said Accies were signing Morrison, Miller & Agyeman 😂

McGlynn mentioned on the Falkirk FC podcast he wants to get his signings in early and he's just said in the Falkirk herald preseason starts again on the 14th of June so we won't have long to wait for some signing news. 

Agyeman was confirmed on the 12th of May last year.

11 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

McGlynn mentioned on the Falkirk FC podcast he wants to get his signings in early and he's just said in the Falkirk herald preseason starts again on the 14th of June so we won't have long to wait for some signing news. 

Agyeman was confirmed on the 12th of May last year.

I get the feeling Agyeman was confirmed so early to appease the fans after the Airdrie disaster. I could be wrong though

8 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Mcglynn, Mcinness and Docherty up for manager of the year. Think if we avoid defeat on Saturday it’s only heading one way 

Great to see neither of the Arse Cheeks manager's being considered. Mind you, I was worried, Rhys McCabe at Airdrie United did win their League Cup group, the Airdrie fans will be raging that he is not at least included in the final short leet.

24 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Great to see neither of the Arse Cheeks manager's being considered. Mind you, I was worried, Rhys McCabe at Airdrie United did win their League Cup group, the Airdrie fans will be raging that he is not at least included in the final short leet.

Especially as it's still possible for them to get a double promotion. 

53 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I get the feeling Agyeman was confirmed so early to appease the fans after the Airdrie disaster. I could be wrong though

He was but just let me get excited.

13 minutes ago, Beepee67 said:

Here's hoping John McGlynn gets the Manager of the year award for a fantastic unbeaten season from the nominations 👏👏 

Would be thoroughly deserved, led a great team & special mention also to your support 👍 

Was a pleasure to host you at Forthbank this season, good luck on Saturday 💪 ⚽

Good luck to you guys on Saturday. Hope you manage to stay up and not just through the play offs. 

2 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Mcglynn, Mcinness and Docherty up for manager of the year. Think if we avoid defeat on Saturday it’s only heading one way 

Not sure why McInnes or Docherty should be considered any more than, say, Naismith or Robinson? Also, as much as it pains me to say it, if Sevco win the treble, then it would be hard to argue against Clement being on the short list.

If, however, a manager manages to have his team absolutely skoosh the league, while remaining unbeaten and beating teams from the league above (including said champions of that league) then the winner should be fairly obvious.

23 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Hard to argue that's been a stellar season from the Bairns, guided by the steady hand of John McGlynn.  Got me thinking back to Queens similarly stellar season in the 3rd tier back in 2012/13 ...

P W D L F A GD Pts
2012/13 QOS 36 29 5 2 92 23 69 92
2023/14 Falkirk 35 27 8 0 94 26 68 89

So the Bairns are on course to equal our points tally and probably beat the GD figure too as well as probably being invincible for the season.  Not a huge gap between the two club performances between those two seasons though.  I'm not sure what the overall record finish is for the 3rd tier.

Not sure how the goals have been spread throughout the Bairns team but that season Queens had Nicky Clark on red hot form scoring 33 I think in the league and 41 across all competitions ... we also beat Thistle to lift the Diddy Cup in extra time mayhem at a sold-out Almondvale.  Changed times for Queens ...

That was a new record at the time, though Rangers beat it the following season. It's still 2nd though Falkirk will likely better it on Goal Difference or at least Goals Scored on Saturday.

22 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

As a Queens fan I don't want to put a downer on our 2012/13 achievement but,  iirc we were the only FT team in the division and I would say the part time teams weren't as strong as nowadays.  Also iirc we dropped points at Albion Rovers when the title was clinched as the players were more concerned with trying to set up chances for Nicky Clark to reach top scorer rather than concentrating on winning the game. Apart from a poor Queens team the division is stronger this season. 

We didn't drop points at Albion Rovers. We won 1-0. But yes, we could have clocked up 4 or 5 that day if the players hadn't been obsessed with setting up a clearly not fit and limping badly Nicky Clark to score a 41st goal. Which he eventually did as a tap in after someone (McGuffie maybe) put it on a plate for him rather than score himself.

I agree that the division wasn't as strong then as it is now. We were the only full time team, although that was partly because Rangers were in the 4th tier skewing the natural order a bit.

That Queens team might have had a chance to go invincible but were undone in a midweek rearranged game on a clearly frozen pitch at Alloa when a daft penalty saw them win 1-0 in the 2nd quarter of the season. The other defeat was a midweek game at Stenhousemuir after we'd already won the league and AJ was playing about with his team selections with nothing to play for. As memory serves we did steal a 2-2 draw against East Fife in the second last game with two goals in the last five minutes (again both from Clark) after being honking for the first 85 minutes and deservedly being 2-0 down.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

3 hours ago, bairn88 said:

image.thumb.png.3844db57753ed444a2f2cc1847fa4dbc.png

Not if the media have anything to do with it. 

8 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

🖼️

Not if the media have anything to do with it. 

That's my view. I'd hedge my bets that it will be awarded to Docherty because it's his 1st managerial post, he's made top-6 with a newly promoted side and the ... ahem ... Dens Park pitch saga.

Edited by Blame Me
Remove image

24 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

That's my view. I'd hedge my bets that it will be awarded to Docherty because it's his 1st managerial post, he's made top-6 with a newly promoted side and the ... ahem ... Dens Park pitch saga.

The media don't have anything to do with this award

38 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Was there legacy issues with Docherty as to how he never got a chance at the Falkirk job?  after all he worked well with Alex Totten as his assistant.

14 minutes ago, Rugster said:

The media don't have anything to do with this award

Pretty sure managers and coaches read newspapers and speak to journalists.

Not to mention that Premier League managers will have bias that managing in the Premier League is harder than L1 and factor in the points I made above.

Happy to be proved wrong and hope it's awarded to JM. 

9 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Was there legacy issues with Docherty as to how he never got a chance at the Falkirk job?  after all he worked well with Alex Totten as his assistant.

I thought he was Ian McCall's assistant?

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I thought he was Ian McCall's assistant?

He was. Kevin McAllisters was Tottens assistant but both were removed when the team were relegated. Then Airdrie went bust, McCall arrived and a new golden age for the club began. 

Tony Docherty was a community coach when Alex Totten was in charge.