The Falkirk FC Thread

With Inverness appointing John Robertson, Dundee United on a rebuild job, St Mirren losing Loy & Mallan, this league is there for the taking with the right signings. I know this is a point that's been made before but it's hit me even more today how much of an opportunity this is to have a serious chance of winning the league, let's hope we seize it.

With Inverness appointing John Robertson, Dundee United on a rebuild job, St Mirren losing Loy & Mallan, this league is there for the taking with the right signings. I know this is a point that's been made before but it's hit me even more today how much of an opportunity this is to have a serious chance of winning the league, let's hope we seize it.

We can't even arrange preseason friendlies let alone make any quality signings. Hope I'm wrong but it feels like another missed opportunity heading our way.

14 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Shepherd has made 50 appearances for the club. Obviously the vast majority are off the bench but to me he's never grabbed his chance even though he has been given more than enough opportunities. Now if you watch the u20s he is a standout compared to many of the others and yet he struggles to make an impact at first team level. If he struggles then I can't see many of the others who don't shine so much in the dev team being able to cruise right into the first 11.

The u20 performance and ability to step up does not get judged on Shepherd, if anything he is the worst example.

He has been as much use wide right as Sibbald was yet plays up top in the development league where by all accounts is playing well, now it doesn't take multiple coach badges to tell me that Shepherd will never be a wide right player at our level, so why continually throw him in there ?

I regress back to our manager preferring his average level players on the bench than someone who is on form albeit a different level to someone who isnt

I don't think Shepherd will make it but by fuk, give him a chance where he can at least prove many of us wrong.

Blair and probably Gallacher will be sold more on what they have done in the development league than first team, its a growing trend to previously

Shepherd has made 50 appearances for the club. Obviously the vast majority are off the bench but to me he's never grabbed his chance even though he has been given more than enough opportunities. Now if you watch the u20s he is a standout compared to many of the others and yet he struggles to make an impact at first team level. If he struggles then I can't see many of the others who don't shine so much in the dev team being able to cruise right into the first 11.

The bit I found strange about Shepherd last season was when he came on at Tannadice the last 20 in the 1-1 game he and Austin caused Utd lots of problems. He looked quick and strong.

I maybe wrong but after that he never got a look in I don't think. (Maybe at Dumbarton, can't remember)

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

The bit I found strange about Shepherd last season was when he came on at Tannadice the last 20 in the 1-1 game he and Austin caused Utd lots of problems. He looked quick and strong.

I maybe wrong but after that he never got a look in I don't think. (Maybe at Dumbarton, can't remember)

with us retaining him and ohara surely they deserve more game time than just 15 minute cameos. my prefernce is ohara but would like to see us try either with fash up front to see what a bit of pace would add to our attack.

15 hours ago, MrDust said:

The u20 performance and ability to step up does not get judged on Shepherd, if anything he is the worst example.

He has been as much use wide right as Sibbald was yet plays up top in the development league where by all accounts is playing well, now it doesn't take multiple coach badges to tell me that Shepherd will never be a wide right player at our level, so why continually throw him in there ?

I regress back to our manager preferring his average level players on the bench than someone who is on form albeit a different level to someone who isnt

I don't think Shepherd will make it but by fuk, give him a chance where he can at least prove many of us wrong.

Blair and probably Gallacher will be sold more on what they have done in the development league than first team, its a growing trend to previously

I said the same as yourself about him not getting a game up top and then he got a couple of chances up top later in the season and did  absolutely nothing ( cant comment on the DU game as I wasnt there). If they get a chance these boys have got to grab it with both hands especially now that we have a sizeable squad. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, P475 said:

Apparently you guys are signing Stanton and Harris from Hibs? 

Good signings if true.  

Stanton can play left back and we are short there, while we need a right winger so Harris would fit the bill. And both would prob be free's. Not exactly the type of signings that puts bums on seats but typical Houston signings, it wouldn't surprise me.  

Stanton can play left back and we are short there, while we need a right winger so Harris would fit the bill. And both would prob be free's. Not exactly the type of signings that puts bums on seats but typical Houston signings, it wouldn't surprise me.  

Stanton is a centre midfielder.

They are 2 signings that definitely have Houston written all over them. Stanton probably would be a good signing but a centre midfielder is not what we need right now we already have 4 (5 if we re-sign Sibbald) first team players that can play there. As for Harris has he not been shite since that first Semi Final against us? He'd probably just take Airds place on the bench.

Stanton has never ever played left back. He's a central midfielder.

I think there is potential in both Harris and Stanton. Stanton always looks like he's being played too far back for me at every club. The season Hibs went down he was actually doing a decent job, in a terrible Hibs team, just behind the strikers and looked really dangerous. He always causes us problems when he visits as well. As for Harris, it's all about how you use him. Queens seemed to want to play him as an orthodox midfield player rather than a winger when basically you just need to let him run at his full back. If we can get height in the box he would be decent for us as he'd add some pace from out wide and wouldn't always look to cut in. It might not be bums on seats signings for a lot of people but i'd take both of these over another Rankin or Tudor-Jones. Given Hibs budget, both of those players should have been used rather than vomiting cash on some of the players they did, in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, PipoIsABairn said:

I think there is potential in both Harris and Stanton. Stanton always looks like he's being played too far back for me at every club. The season Hibs went down he was actually doing a decent job, in a terrible Hibs team, just behind the strikers and looked really dangerous. He always causes us problems when he visits as well. As for Harris, it's all about how you use him. Queens seemed to want to play him as an orthodox midfield player rather than a winger when basically you just need to let him run at his full back. If we can get height in the box he would be decent for us as he'd add some pace from out wide and wouldn't always look to cut in. It might not be bums on seats signings for a lot of people but i'd take both of these over another Rankin or Tudor-Jones. Given Hibs budget, both of those players should have been used rather than vomiting cash on some of the players they did, in my opinion.

If we're signing players simply because their better than Rankin or Tudor Jones then we're in big trouble. We dont need a centre mid and we also dont need Harris whose been brutal since his one decent performance against us in the cup. If their the best we can come up with after trawling the UK for new players then god help us.