The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Good so promotion by a good few points this season .

Yes that would be good, though there's a few sides will now be fancying their chances this coming season.

We're not short of numbers, but the fullback positions look weak and either Shepherd or O'Hara really need to step up and merit a starting role. All the best to them both.

I've no doubt Houstie will get the best out of the squad he has, whether it's enough remains to be seen

11 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Supporters who sycophantically fawn over their club and jump down the throat of anyone who criticises are far more damaging to a club than supporters who criticise too much.

Please don't encourage Shadwell.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm sure that under Pressley we only employed one senior goalie and it never caused us any major issues. If the budget is as tight as Houston suggests then we may well have been better off using that money elsewhere. Sometimes if things are tight you've got to take a gamble and hope it comes off. There's always the option of an emergency loan if it was a serious injury.

No we didn't, there was always a back up.

As I say, if Houston went into the season with just one 'keeper he would have been heavily criticised for it and I can only imagine the level of seethe if that 'keeper picked up an injury. You say that an emergency loan could be considered. What if the replacement was shite? Houston would get lynched and you would be one of those leading the party!

11 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

No we didn't, there was always a back up.

As I say, if Houston went into the season with just one 'keeper he would have been heavily criticised for it and I can only imagine the level of seethe if that 'keeper picked up an injury. You say that an emergency loan could be considered. What if the replacement was shite? Houston would get lynched and you would be one of those leading the party!

Who? Bowman and/or Barclay, Only when Houston joined did we bring in Mehmet who was 23

What if Mitchell is crap?  Maybe he's hopeless on Astroturf?

Didn't St Mirren get a Man City youngster when they needed a keeper? If Clubs know they'll play you can get a highly rated young goalie on loan.

7 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Who? Bowman and/or Barclay, Only when Houston joined did we bring in Mehmet who was 23

What if Mitchell is crap?  Maybe he's hopeless on Astroturf?

Didn't St Mirren get a Man City youngster when they needed a keeper? If Clubs know they'll play you can get a highly rated young goalie on loan.

That's right, Bowman and/or Barclay, much like we have Mitchell now really. We have no other alternative as McMinn has gone ( I'm assuming that you know this?) although, to be fair, I would have kept him on as back-up which would have saved some cash.

If Mitchell is crap then that's down to Houston recruiting poorly; if he's got a problem with astroturf then Houston should get his arse kicked for bringing him in in the first place. I stand by what I said though that I don't think that goalkeeper is a position that should not have adequate back up.

I believe that St Mirren brought in O'Brien because their first choice goalie either picked up an injury or was deemed not good enough and Langfield was fecked by then? I'm sure one of their fans will be able to clarify. I don't think it was because they had gone in to the season with just one goalie on their books though?

Think we'll just need to agree to disagree really.

See, the more that I think about this, the more raging I am.

For three seasons we've been told that there was no point in trying to compete against Rangers, Hearts or Hibs.

Now they're out of the way, there's no point in competing because we won't get the windfall their visiting fans bring?

This absolutely stinks.

See to all the fans who post drivel about being 'proper' supporters because they go every week and don't care what league we're in or how well we perform - this is your fault.

The board have seen that a sizeable proportion of our fans don't care about what league we're in, or how well we do, and just have their couple of hours out the house on a Saturday, and they're already setting us up with excuses about why we won't mount any kind of title challenge this season.

The "COYB expect the unexpected" mob - this is your fault.

Whilst I agree with the first half of this, the second part is absolute drivel! Are you seriously saying that because we are not all manic depressives we don't care?

My experience of our supporters is that they are a shower of moaning faced b*stards! Hardly an indication of people who don't care.

My PRIMARY concern is that we have a club in the future. We will go up...like everyone else I hope it's next season.

But I don't want us to be a Livingston or a Kilmarnock or a Dundee buying with money we don't have then spend our time panicking about survival either.

24 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

That's right, Bowman and/or Barclay, much like we have Mitchell now really. We have no other alternative as McMinn has gone ( I'm assuming that you know this?) although, to be fair, I would have kept him on as back-up which would have saved some cash.

If Mitchell is crap then that's down to Houston recruiting poorly; if he's got a problem with astroturf then Houston should get his arse kicked for bringing him in in the first place. I stand by what I said though that I don't think that goalkeeper is a position that should not have adequate back up.

I believe that St Mirren brought in O'Brien because their first choice goalie either picked up an injury or was deemed not good enough and Langfield was fecked by then? I'm sure one of their fans will be able to clarify. I don't think it was because they had gone in to the season with just one goalie on their books though?

Think we'll just need to agree to disagree really.

Bowman and Barclay were kids we brought through the system. We still have kids we can use as a backup exactly the same way we did then. We're not talking about only having one keeper on the books in total we're talking about having the youth teams keeper like we did back then. We managed fine with it  when money was even tighter.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

12 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Whilst I agree with the first half of this, the second part is absolute drivel! Are you seriously saying that because we are not all manic depressives we don't care?

My experience of our supporters is that they are a shower of moaning faced b*stards! Hardly an indication of people who don't care.

My PRIMARY concern is that we have a club in the future. We will go up...like everyone else I hope it's next season.

But I don't want us to be a Livingston or a Kilmarnock or a Dundee buying with money we don't have then spend our time panicking about survival either.

Yeah I wouldve hated to have been in the top flight for 20 odd years won two national trophies and qualified for Europe on a number of occasions. Must be absolutely hellish being a killie fan. 

Yeah I wouldve hated to have been in the top flight for 20 odd years won two national trophies and qualified for Europe on a number of occasions. Must be absolutely hellish being a killie fan. 

Do I envy them buying success....no chance?

A bit like The Rangers, it means nothing.

9 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Bowman and Barclay were kids we brought through the system. We still have kids we can use as a backup 

No we don't. The most senior kid (McMinn) was released. The next senior kid (Bery) was freed without getting a professional contract. The next one up is Jay Cantley, who I think is about 13 or 14, though I'm willing to be corrected on that. Can you imagine the seethe if we brought on a thirteen year to play against Dundee Utd?

I'm actually expecting us to sign another keeper for U20s, though I don't know how the budget will work for that. It'll be a young boy on not much cash.

At which point this noticeboard and COYB will go into meltdown....

Just now, roman_bairn said:

Do I envy them buying success....no chance?

A bit like The Rangers, it means nothing.

Kilmarnock unlike Livie and Dundee have never gone bust owing millions. They spend money then they pay it back.  Their no different from us over the past 20 odd years it's just their far better at it than we've been. 

Surely it's not being unrealistic to think we should be a top flight side like Hamilton or st Johnstone.

Kilmarnock unlike Livie and Dundee have never gone bust owing millions. They spend money then they pay it back.  Their no different from us over the past 20 odd years it's just their far better at it than we've been. 
Surely it's not being unrealistic to think we should be a top flight side like Hamilton or st Johnstone.

Killie spent money they did not have and found a way out of the mire. They did not go into the spending boom with a strategy to pay it back. That's not being far better at it.

I absolutely believe we can be a Hamilton or better still a St Johnstone.

5 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

No we don't. The most senior kid (McMinn) was released. The next senior kid (Bery) was freed without getting a professional contract. The next one up is Jay Cantley, who I think is about 13 or 14, though I'm willing to be corrected on that. Can you imagine the seethe if we brought on a thirteen year to play against Dundee Utd?

I'm actually expecting us to sign another keeper for U20s, though I don't know how the budget will work for that. It'll be a young boy on not much cash.

At which point this noticeboard and COYB will go into meltdown....

That's my point the u20s keeper should be the backup when times are tough. I'm all for an experienced back up but if we're losing 7 players and only bringing in 3 then something's not right and cut backs are needed to maximise what we have.