The Falkirk FC Thread

Just back from Budapest.

Superb trip. Aside our digs being like a war zone it really is a great city.

Will take the liver a few weeks to recover though.

We strolled that game today but with the heat it was played at a slow pace.

Best for us were Grant, Gallacher, Hippo and Austin. Saw enough from Harris to think if he gets service he can do us a job. He absolutely skinned this lad first half and got a great cross in. Really quick over 5 yards. He will frustrate some though.

All the noise out there was that no one else will come in unless/until there is someone going out.

See what the next few weeks bring.

After the game Houstie and McDonagh came out and spent a fair bit of time with the young team who sang their hearts out at the game. They had plenty of charge on Board but Houstie was brilliant with them.

Not many clubs at our level would take 200 odd fans for a friendly 1500 miles from home. There really is a passion within the support for the club. Pity the Board fail to appreciate that.

I see the BBC website is once again listing our defeat to Vaduz over extra time and two legs as one of the worst results in Europe for Scottish clubs despite the fact that they actually play in the Swiss Premier League and are experienced European campaigners. In fact I see they thumped Bala Town of Wales 5-1 on aggregate last night.

Strangely no mention of Hearts being beaten over two legs, including at home by a Maltese opposition.

Lazy journalism at its worst.

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I see the BBC website is once again listing our defeat to Vaduz over extra time and two legs as one of the worst results in Europe for Scottish clubs despite the fact that they actually play in the Swiss Premier League and are experienced European campaigners. In fact I see they thumped Bala Town of Wales 5-1 on aggregate last night.

Strangely no mention of Hearts being beaten over two legs, including at home by a Maltese opposition.

Except they had been relegated by the time we played them...one of the worst nights of my life ..biblical rain & non alcoholic beer...we went out with a whimper..still Pierre litbarski looked great in a suit

Except they had been relegated by the time we played them...one of the worst nights of my life ..biblical rain & non alcoholic beer...we went out with a whimper..still Pierre litbarski looked great in a suit

True. However I would argue that the Swiss Premier is of a higher standard than the Scottish equivalent.

ICT went down from our league this season. If we lost to them over two legs would that be considered a major upset?

As I said lazy journalism at its worst.

7 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Not many clubs at our level would take 200 odd fans for a friendly 1500 miles from home. There really is a passion within the support for the club. Pity the Board fail to appreciate that.

Especially in view of the shambolic organisation/communication.

We strolled that game today but with the heat it was played at a slow pace.

Best for us were Grant, Gallacher, Hippo and Austin. Saw enough from Harris to think if he gets service he can do us a job. He absolutely skinned this lad first half and got a great cross in. Really quick over 5 yards. He will frustrate some though.

Agree mostly with above and I thought Taiwo bossed the first half and blues looked decent in the holding role. Stowe looks a player although maybe still a bit lightweight but can put himself about and is neat.
Gallagher and Ohara also got pass marks. I thought Austin never done much although was constantly trying to break out of rugby tackles.

Not many clubs in Scotland have our juggernaut support tbf. St Johnstone only managed a couple of hundred more fans than us last night and they were playing an actual EL qualifier. Agree with what has been said about the game. Overall positive and although Blues and Storey aren't ready for the first team yet both look good prospects.  Harris did fine, looking forward to seeing more of him. Shepherd was disappointing though tbf their centre backs were absolute brutes, even Austin struggled. Budapest is a great city btw, would thoroughly recommend 

Sorry to burst the crowdwanking bubble but I don't actually think we took 200 there. There was only 50 on the bus that took the majority of the supporters to the ground then about another 40/50 at best making their own way there.

I couldn't give a f**k how many St Johnstone fans went last night either. Didn't stop their superstar team being shat on by 10 diddies from Lithuania.

2 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I think it was the, er...entirely objective Davie Provan who first came out with that comment about the Vaduz result,  completely deflecting from his beloved Celtic's record at that time of 1 win in 19?, 20? away games in Europe, which is beyond embarrassing for a team with such a high opinion of their perceived status and deserves far more pointing and laughing than any one-off cup-tie.  

Falkirk lost in Europe, away from home, in extra time, that's the facts... But in among the worst few results, ever? Really not so sure about that... A brief random search on line shows, for instance, Hibs losing 0-7 Malmo, 1-5 Dnipro;  Aberdeen losing 0-3 Sigma Olomouc, 0-1 Maribour;   St Johnstone losing 1-5 Zeljeznicar, 0-2 Eskiselirspor... and so on... & of course there's a hilarious catalogue of other OF Euro humblings beyond the BBC list which are grubbing around in the gutter. The opinion of some half-wit agency journo or irrelevant Celtic apologist doesn't count for me.    

Good interview with Houstie on FFCTV.

My take on his comments:

1) As BPM mentions too, sounds like we are done on recruitment until someone leaves (would assume Sibbs but suppose someone could come in for Gallacher)

2) Thomson to start ahead of Mitchell in goal.

3) Happy that he's got 2 in each position for the full backs (Kidd/Muirhead for RB & Gallacher/Henderson for LB), 5 players for CH, 7 players who can play across the middle & 5 who can play up front.

4) Loy & Austin preferred front pairing

Not many clubs in Scotland have our juggernaut support tbf. St Johnstone only managed a couple of hundred more fans than us last night and they were playing an actual EL qualifier.

With the amount of euro trips St Johnstone have had they probably take them for granted, complacency has probably set in.

If Falkirk were to do a European tour every year the amount you'd take would probably half in four/five years.

Not many clubs in Scotland have our juggernaut support tbf. St Johnstone only managed a couple of hundred more fans than us last night and they were playing an actual EL qualifier.

With the amount of euro trips St Johnstone have had they probably take them for granted, complacency has probably set in.

If Falkirk were to do a European tour every year the amount you'd take would probably half in four/five years.

Falkirk losing to a Swiss Super league team shouldn't even register in people's minds as the worst Scottish result in Europe.  Only utter simpletons would think this.