The Falkirk FC Thread

Hate to be morbid but I'm 50 now and having had 3 cup finals in the past 20 years I sometimes wonder if my chance to see the Bairns win the cup in my lifetime has gone. How do other older fans feel about this?

My Dad who passed away 12 years ago always told me the 1957 cup final replay was his greatest moment as a Falkirk fan.

I hope to God I'm wrong.

The single best performance I have ever seen from a Falkirk player. On the radio afterwards they were saying it was the best performance by a Scottish player in a cup tie they had seen. I still maintain David Moss was fouled before Hearts second goal.

Gary Naismith who went on to have a great career would never forget the roasting he got that day. Crunchie had him in his pocket the full game.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

An absolute roasting Gary Naysmith got that day. I remember being gutted after the final the year before, but it was nothing compared to that day. I dont I have ever cried at full time at another game, but that day i was fucking devestated to see it taken away from wee Crunchie after the game he had. And agreed I felt there was a clear foul when they broke up the park.

Disgusting he never got capped.

Hate to be morbid but I'm 50 now and having had 3 cup finals in the past 20 years I sometimes wonder if the chance to see the Bairns win the cup in my lifetime has gone. How do other older fans feel about this? 

My Dad who passed away 12 years ago always told me the 1957 cup final replay was his greatest moment as a Falkirk fan.

I hope to God I'm wrong.

Still think there's hope although having also seen us get to three cup finals, I am not sure even if we won it I would still get the same buzz that I had before the 97 semi-final or the run up to the final.

The '09 and '15 semis and finals were amazing occasions but still never felt quite the same.

No idea why I feel that way though.

Still think there's hope although having also seen us get to three cup finals, I am not sure even if we won it I would still get the same buzz that I had before the 97 semi-final or the run up to the final.

The '09 and '15 semis and finals were amazing occasions but still never felt quite the same.

Think the 97 semi final/ final just gripped the whole town and area as it was something most of us had never experienced.

I'm still hopeful of seeing us lift the cup before I check out though[emoji16]

Think the 97 semi final/ final just gripped the whole town and area as it was something most of us had never experienced.

I'm still hopeful of seeing us lift the cup before I check out though[emoji16]

If it's any consolation I am a couple of years older than you so we are both in the same boat. [emoji16]

It's amazing I've seen us in 3 cup finals my dad supported the team from the 60's and used to talk about the great 70's team and the chance they lost by getting beat by Partick despite being favourites after beating a brilliant hibs team in the league cup. Patrick pumped Jock Steins Celtic in the final. In my lifetime we have won the first division 4 times reached 3 Scottish cup finals won the diddy cup 4 times and had 2 league cup semi finals. For a provincial club that is decent.

It's amazing I've seen us in 3 cup finals my dad supported the team from the 60's and used to talk about the great 70's team and the chance they lost by getting beat by Partick despite being favourites after beating a brilliant hibs team in the league cup. Patrick pumped Jock Steins Celtic in the final. In my lifetime we have won the first division 4 times reached 3 Scottish cup finals won the diddy cup 4 times and had 2 league cup semi finals. For a provincial club that is decent.

Your right it's very decent.

There will be fans of bigger clubs than us that haven't been to the finals and semis that we have had.

15 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

In 1997 there was a very real perception amongst fans of all other Scottish teams bar the OF that the chances of winning anything ever again was gone. Rangers and Celtic were getting stronger and stronger, throwing silly money at players.

In 1997 I walked out of Ibrox genuinely thinking I'd never see Falkirk in another cup final ever again, because Rangers or Celtic would win everything in the future.

Now of course I know that not to be true. We've been to two finals and a semi-final in the past eight years. I have no doubt we'll get another shot. That's why I wasn't as gutted in 2015 as I was in 1997.

Edited by Gaz

My  abiding memory of the 09 cup final was walking up to Behind The Wall before getting the bus to the game from there and a car full of Rangers fans shouting abuse at us. I have loved every minute of their demise. The **** I'nFalkirk are wallopers

Edited by Swordfishtrombone

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

In 1997 there was a very real perception amongst fans of all other Scottish teams bar the OF that the chances of winning anything ever again was gone. Rangers and Celtic were getting stronger and stronger, throwing silly money at players.

In 1997 I walked out of Ibrox genuinely thinking I'd never see Falkirk in another cup final ever again, because Rangers or Celtic would win everything in the future.

Now of course I know that not to be true. We've been to two finals and a semi-final in the past eight years. I have no doubt we'll get another shot. That's why I wasn't as gutted in 2015 as I was in 1997.

In 97' we'd also shat on Celtic over two games in the semis which I think upped everyone's expectations. I remember spending the entire second game just waiting for DiCanio to put the ball in the net and wondering how on earth he hadn't. Beating them and then losing to Killie was an utter sucker punch. Admittedly, however, the 2015 final stung because I felt if we'd held off ICT for the full 90 we would have taken it in extra time as they were on their last legs. I was also a kid in 97' so it was always gonna suck losing the final. Seeing us lose it again as an adult and feeling the same way was really harsh. Why on earth McCracken didn't just take the yellow i'll never know. Everytime I see Muirhead or Taiwo take someone out cynically on the halfway line it makes me think about McCracken not doing that and gets me a little bit more pissed off.  

As a side note the semi against Hearts was equally as grim as either of the above games in my opinion, final or otherwise.

I used to have a video with loads of games from that era on it. It had the Partick cup replay at Brockville on it which was a cracking game. I had another video that had the full live tv game against Ayr United. We had some team then.

Still have my tapes about 12/13 off them.(3hrs each) Beating celtic at parkhead ( gilmour s winner) also beating Meadowbank at brockville, B+Q cup final. Great memories COYB.

Hate to be morbid but I'm 50 now and having had 3 cup finals in the past 20 years I sometimes wonder if my chance to see the Bairns win the cup in my lifetime has gone. How do other older fans feel about this?

I hope to God I'm wrong.

My dad and mum were at the 2 games. Still have the ticket untorn and programmes. COYB

1 hour ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

Burns said it was Celtic' s Berwick Rangers a reference to Rangers defeat which I thought was disrespectful to Falkirk. Still it was brilliant the 'add on enough time till Celtic score" tactic from the ref never worked. Those 8 minutes of injury time were nerve wracking but the pay off was worth it.

I had already been watching Falkirk for nearly 30 years at that point and obviously knew how long a game of football lasted. For some strange reason though I remember watching the clock click round to 85 minutes and thinking 'f**k, still 15 minutes left!' :lol: 3 minutes later it reached 88 minutes and I realised that there were only 2 minutes left at which point I near shit myself! which of course made the time added on completely unbearable as, like everybody else, I fully expected Celtic to score!

If you will tolerate a non-Bairn interjecting, there is some great nostalgia on here. Brilliant stuff

I`m 60 next year and I`ve never seen my team play in the top division. I hope I do at some point but who knows.

Reaching the B&Q cup final in 1997 where we put up a decent show but lost to Falkirk was as good as it got for a while. We`ve managed to win the diddy cup twice since then. Reaching the Scottish Cup final in 2008 was amazing. The 4-3 win in the semi against Aberdeen remains my best day as a QOS fan. I cried at the end of that game. The final was a great day and to be there with my dad was really special. 2 games in Europe followed that, again something I thought I`d never see. Heady times.

Sorry to butt in but the posts in the thread brought back some great memories.

Cheers.

I had already been watching Falkirk for nearly 30 years at that point and obviously knew how long a game of football lasted. For some strange reason though I remember watching the clock click round to 85 minutes and thinking 'f**k, still 15 minutes left!' :lol: 3 minutes later it reached 88 minutes and I realised that there were only 2 minutes left at which point I near shit myself! which of course made the time added on completely unbearable as, like everybody else, I fully expected Celtic to score!

Who was it in the Falkirk team who spectacularly hit our crossbar or post? I think that was the moment when I thought we might just do it.

If you will tolerate a non-Bairn interjecting, there is some great nostalgia on here. Brilliant stuff
I`m 60 next year and I`ve never seen my team play in the top division. I hope I do at some point but who knows.
Reaching the B&Q cup final in 1997 where we put up a decent show but lost to Falkirk was as good as it got for a while. We`ve managed to win the diddy cup twice since then. Reaching the Scottish Cup final in 2008 was amazing. The 4-3 win in the semi against Aberdeen remains my best day as a QOS fan. I cried at the end of that game. The final was a great day and to be there with my dad was really special. 2 games in Europe followed that, again something I thought I`d never see. Heady times.
Cheers.

Get the feeling that your semi and final 2008 was pretty much my 1997.

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Cheers.

I remember the challenge cup final Falkirk weren't great at that time and Queens were the definition of a decent lower league side, I thought the keeper was good and Stevie Mallan was always dangerous.

I was really unpopular with my Rangers supporting pals on a stag do in Newcastle when I celebrated wildly when Queens made it 2-2 in the cup final.