The Falkirk FC Thread

50 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

If we are missing Baird we really are goosed!

We would certainly be better with Alston in the team but I think Craigen will do a job for us and Harris has the potential to be the pacy right sided player that we need.

I think that it's obvious that Harris could be a good player for us. He's certainly a far better footballer than Aird so hopefully will be the answer on the right hand side. He does seem to be a bit of a shite bag and goes missing to an extent if there's any rough stuff going on although I did think that he was getting stuck in a lot more when he came on on Saturday. A bad injury can certainly make you more wary of steaming into tackles and I believe that he was out for quite some time following just such an injury some time back?

IMO he needs the arm round the shoulder approach and needs encouragement from the stands; if we make him this season's scapegoat I fear we'll get nothing at all out of him.

Edited by ShaggerG

Craigen will do well if played in the middle . Harris on the other hand can't beat eggs out wide and is unable to tackle a fish supper. I had presumed he'd be leaving hibs to sign for a top of league 1 bottom of the championship side and I may be right if we don't get our fingers out.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Craigen will do well if played in the middle . Harris on the other hand can't beat eggs out wide and is unable to tackle a fish supper. I had presumed he'd be leaving hibs to sign for a top of league 1 bottom of the championship side and I may be right if we don't get our fingers out.

Well that's just not true is it? He's beaten his man on several occasions already this season, including Saturday's game and with the right coaching, encouragement and support, I believe will do so regularly. The point I'm making is that, IMO, he needs to be handled in the correct manner to get the best out of him and I don't think that pillorying the guy will work in this instance.

TBH your comments re Harris, to me, just smack of you wanting to prove that you were 'right all along'.

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Well that's just not true is it? He's beaten his man on several occasions already this season, including Saturday's game and with the right coaching, encouragement and support, I believe will do so regularly. The point I'm making is that, IMO, he needs to be handled in the correct manner to get the best out of him and I don't think that pillorying the guy will work in this instance.

TBH your comments re Harris, to me, just smack of you wanting to prove that you were 'right all along'.

Against st mirren and Livie he never beat a man all game. I want a wide player who is desperate to do that every time he gets the ball and not one that runs up to the fullback and stops. Believe me I wanted him to be a great player for us and can take being wrong for the benefit of the team I support  but so far I've seen nothing that says he will solve our right side issue. If he's is that wimpy that he needs handled correctly then he is in the wrong sport and is certainly not the kind of player we need to win possibly the toughest league in the country.

27 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Against st mirren and Livie he never beat a man all game. I want a wide player who is desperate to do that every time he gets the ball and not one that runs up to the fullback and stops. Believe me I wanted him to be a great player for us and can take being wrong for the benefit of the team I support  but so far I've seen nothing that says he will solve our right side issue. If he's is that wimpy that he needs handled correctly then he is in the wrong sport and is certainly not the kind of player we need to win possibly the toughest league in the country.

27 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Ok, let's just write him off and give him loads of abuse. Hopefully he'll start on Saturday so that we can get a full 90 minutes at it. That should help enormously!

People are all different, some need a bit of coaxing, some need a kick up the arse. IMO Harris falls into the former and I happen to think that if we want to get the best out of him we need to treat him accordingly.

I don't see any point in getting on his case as he'll disappear and do nothing therefore wasting a wage for the next 2? seasons. 

Just now, ShaggerG said:

Ok, let's just write him off and give him loads of abuse. Hopefully he'll start on Saturday so that we can get a full 90 minutes at it. That should help enormously!

People are all different, some need a bit of coaxing, some need a kick up the arse. IMO Harris falls into the former and I happen to think that if we want to get the best out of him we need to treat him accordingly.

I don't see any point in getting on his case as he'll disappear and do nothing therefore wasting a wage for the next 2? seasons. 

He's already disappeared and done virtually nothing this season without getting any abuse. Why are we signing players we know are shitebags that disappear when the going gets tough?We knew he was like that before we signed him and yet we still did.  Typical Houston signing in that he didn't need to put in any effort to get him but surely there must have been better options out there. You would think houston would learn not to keep handing out 2 year deals but it's just like Alex Cooper and David Smith all over again .

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He's already disappeared and done virtually nothing this season without getting any abuse. Why are we signing players we know are shitebags that disappear when the going gets tough?We knew he was like that before we signed him and yet we still did.  Typical Houston signing in that he didn't need to put in any effort to get him but surely there must have been better options out there. You would think houston would learn not to keep handing out 2 year deals but it's just like Alex Cooper and David Smith all over again .

That's not entirely true either. He, along with the rest of the team, performed very well in the group stages of the LC and did very well when he came on against Dumbarton. He was poor in the shitfests of St Mirren and Livingston but so were everybody else.

Houston obviously thinks he can get the best out of him and has said as much, I just think that we all need to play our part in that. 

12 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

That's not entirely true either. He, along with the rest of the team, performed very well in the group stages of the LC and did very well when he came on against Dumbarton. He was poor in the shitfests of St Mirren and Livingston but so were everybody else.

Houston obviously thinks he can get the best out of him and has said as much, I just think that we all need to play our part in that. 

The league cup group stages are over blown friendlies that mean absolutely feck all if you can't do it when the real stuff starts and that's been shown clearly this season. We're looking to win the championship and had to be ready from the off. We don't have time for players like Harris to sort themselves out a couple of months down the line if at all. If we're going down the 'there's a player in there somewhere, he might come good ' route then we'd be as well giving someone like Langton a shot . At least he gets stuck in and won't be getting paid anywhere near what Harris is. He certainly couldn't do any worse and would save us a wage. 

Houston probably believed he could get the best out of Cooper, Aird, Smith, kidd etc and look what happened there.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The league cup group stages are over blown friendlies that mean absolutely feck all if you can't do it when the real stuff starts and that's been shown clearly this season. We're looking to win the championship and had to be ready from the off. We don't have time for players like Harris to sort themselves out a couple of months down the line if at all. If we're going down the 'there's a player in there somewhere, he might come good ' route then we'd be as well giving someone like Langton a shot . At least he gets stuck in and won't be getting paid anywhere near what Harris is. He certainly couldn't do any worse and would save us a wage. 

Houston probably believed he could get the best out of Cooper, Aird, Smith, kidd etc and look what happened there.

Ok, so let's be clear then; you're writing him off and feel that playing Langton would be a better option?

We're both entitled to our opinions, I don't happen to agree with you though but, sadly, there's going to be many more that do. If Dunfermline beat us on Saturday and, let's face it there's a very good chance that could happen, he'll be hung out to dry by a large portion of our support and could well end up being anonymous for the rest of his tenure. That would be a complete waste of a wage for someone that may just have done us a turn.

The fact is the guy is a Falkirk player now and we're not going to be bringing in another one in that position so we need to get as much out of him as we can in the time that he's here.

Bringing up posts from months ago to suit some sort of weird agenda you have is completely unsurprising from yourself to be honest. I am in no way a Houston apologist or a happy clapper or whatever phrase you may choose. Unless you have a habit of selective reading, then you would have seen my posts regarding Houston and sheppard and how I was feeling rather negative about how Houston has us lining up at the moment. 

Recalling ONE post in which you came across as a spectacular arsehole doesn't constitute an agenda but whatever makes you happy. I hadn't realised there was a time limit on how long you are able to revisit something but I will keep that in mind. Also think my reference to your 'meltdown' is not the result of selective reading but is entirely valid given what was being discussed at the time. You may not see it that way but however given the fact that you think I have an agenda then maybe your judgement is not the best. I genuinely have no idea of your views on Houston, or on Shepherd, I'm sure they are insightful and informative. What I did think then and still think now is that there are some people that think any criticism of the club is an act of betrayal and sign of disloyalty and start the how long have you supported the club bullshit. I was making this point and choose you as a prime example of such a person because from that ONE post, that is exactly what you did. Granted it was in response to my numerous criticisms (which I still hold & stand) but it was way over the top, a total overreaction and I still find the phrase 'how fucking dare you' very funny, so I will without doubt keep that one and use it from time to time.

However to be clear I wasn't intending to call you a Houston apologist or a happy clapper and you say you aren't any of these things, so I take you at your word. I was merely suggesting that some people (and by some people let's be clear I mean you) are arseholes, [emoji108]?

You are well on the way to turning this forum into the b*****d offspring of One F.
Please don't, this is the only place to get a half decent debate about the club now.

You are well on the way to turning this forum into the b*****d offspring of One F.
Please don't, this is the only place to get a half decent debate about the club now.

[emoji90] I wish I had read this message before posting my last message, sorry.

I was merely suggesting that some people (and by some people let's be clear I mean you) are arseholes, [emoji108]?

That's what I love here, friendly banter... Not
Way over the top and not necessary, everyone has their opinion, let's behave

Imaging the warfare and meltdowns on here if we get humped on Saturday, can't begin to think how that will end up.

Afterall, we want the best for our team and I'm sure everyone is getting frustrated.

13 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Sorry I thought we were debating the pluses and minuses of signing Alex Harris. People seem to want me to change my mind on him  when he's done absolutely nothing to convince me otherwise. Once he starts doing it on the park if he ever does I will hold my hands up but he needs to start doing it now.

Find it strange how having stuck to my guns on Harris I'm getting stick when he's yet to prove that he's anything but the player I said he was.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

That's what I love here, friendly banter... Not
Way over the top and not necessary, everyone has their opinion, let's behave

Imaging the warfare and meltdowns on here if we get humped on Saturday, can't begin to think how that will end up.

Afterall, we want the best for our team and I'm sure everyone is getting frustrated.

Can I withdraw my arsehole comment & substitute bawbag instead? Is that less over the top? All other points still stand.

The scum have got to beat us some time but if you could pick a game to get our season back on track and install some confidence in the team then this is it.

Houstie has to pick the right team and forget any loyalty he has for certain players. I would much rather see us going there and having a right go at them from the start but I'm not confident Houstie will go that way.