The Falkirk FC Thread

That would be my worry aswell, whats the point of generating money for him when there is a very good chance he will splurge it on a player/position we don't need. I'm totally meh about Houston now I just think he's ran his course with us.

Whoever the manager is will be handed the funds in the pot every Jan window once his chosen player signs on. One of the big issues for me is Houston or his replacement identifies Joe blogs and he signs on Jan 1st our pot is £150k at that time, BoD come and say right it's costing us £150k in fees and wages (as everyone will know how much is there) we hand over all £150k. Joe blogs in actual fact is only costing £75k the other £75k the BoD pocket for something else and as we all know the figures are all mishmashed to suit under "other operating costs" so fans are unaware of what actually went on. This wasn't answered last night. Fans, as the MSH is the way forward for the club IMO.

2 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

away to Sligo Rovers in the 2nd rnd of the irn bru cup

Not sure that's a good thing at this point in the season . We're already struggling with injuries and travelling to an away tie like this won't help. I'd send the u20's over so we can concentrate on getting the league campaign back on track.

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This I agree with.

Until the arsecheek pandering project of putting their under 20s in comes to an end this competition should be treated with pure contempt.

(Except when playing a Colt team, they should have to come up against the first team and get absolutely bodied for 90 minutes)

One thing it shows is the huge gap between u 20s and the full sides. The vast majority of them got pumped by teams in all 3 divisions.

away to Sligo Rovers in the 2nd rnd of the irn bru cup

f**k, I just knew that was who we'd draw.

Spent nearly 2 years working in Sligo some years back and it's a stunning place to visit.

Problem is I don't have the holidays to take to return.[emoji17]

We should just not send a team and forfeit the tie. This cup is even diddier than it was in it's previous incarnation. f**k it.

I agree with this in regard to the under 20s sides but don't really see the issue with the inclusion of Irish and Welsh side to be honest.

To me it keeps it interesting and gives us the chance to visit somewhere different.

36 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I agree with this in regard to the under 20s sides but don't really see the issue with the inclusion of Irish and Welsh side to be honest.

To me it keeps it interesting and gives us the chance to visit somewhere different.

My issue is that the reason for this tournament was always to give the lesser teams a chance of winning some silverware. We're now making that very hard by bringing in sides who have just featured in champions league qualifiers. I could never see stenny repeating the feat of winning this trophy again unfortunately. In the current format youd be aswell bringing in the premier league first teams as the original idea of the competition has gone out the window.

As usual these formats get flung on the lesser teams whether they want it or not. I bet if the idea to enter these sides in the Scottish cup was mooted the premier league sides would boot it into touch.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

My issue is that the reason for this tournament was always to give the lesser teams a chance of winning some silverware. We're now making that very hard by bringing in sides who have just featured in champions league qualifiers. I could never see stenny repeating the feat of winning this trophy again unfortunately. In the current format youd be aswell bringing in the premier league first teams as the original idea of the competition has gone out the window.

Was it? I believe it was more to do with giving smaller clubs more opportunity to generate much needed revenue.

However I do see your point.

But I still think from our clubs point of view it gives us a very competitive fixture which generates more interest than say, Elgin at home.

5 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Was it? I believe it was more to do with giving smaller clubs more opportunity to generate much needed revenue.

But I still think from our clubs point of view it gives us a very competitive fixture which generates more interest than say, Elgin at home.

A handful of people will probably go but i just feel it's a fixture we could do without at this point in the season 

12 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Who decides what players they fund and is there any comeback if they end up to be Taylor Morgan's or Fraser Aires? Houston's record of January signings isn't exactly brilliant which would concern me about handing him more cash.

Sorry been away all day.

I believe if the manager identified a target in the January window, then the money would be given to buy that player.

Not sure we can always hang onto we can't trust Houston to buy someone, he's the manager, it's his job after all.

30 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It was near impossible for the lesser teams before the introduction of Irish/Welsh sides. In the decade before the format change only 1 team outside the Championship/1st Division won it and that was a Queens team that romped League One. Your point about these teams competing in Champions League qualifiers is moot as well; they may be league winners, but they're absolute gangs and were beaten as soon as they faced decent Championship opposition last season.

There's plenty reasons to be critical of this competition, but what you've said above isn't one.

This is correct. And regardless of how this season goes there is a significant chance that any player signed from now on may outlast Houstie at the club.

I would say if you want to do this, mistrust of Houston is no reason not to.

Bigger reason to mistrust the board than Houstie.

47 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

It was near impossible for the lesser teams before the introduction of Irish/Welsh sides. In the decade before the format change only 1 team outside the Championship/1st Division won it and that was a Queens team that romped League One. Your point about these teams competing in Champions League qualifiers is moot as well; they may be league winners, but they're absolute gangs and were beaten as soon as they faced decent Championship opposition last season.

There's plenty reasons to be critical of this competition, but what you've said above isn't one.

Teams like alloa and peterhead have at least made the final in recent years will be interesting to see how many teams of corresponding size make it that far in future.

I don't think League of Ireland sides were in the completion last year and I can assure you they are not 'absolute gangs'. Have a look at their top sides results this season and they are on a steep rise.

Sligo are struggling in the League of Ireland Premier this season but should probably be favourites for our visit.

5 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

It's not a cash cow with prize money and crowds are pitiful and with cheaper prices.

The competition only gets interesting at the semi final stages and final, adding colt teams is a serious joke but I wouldn't be against adding English non league teams if possible, making it a pisher version of the Texaco cup. I suppose being organised by our leaders and the state of our game meant we were scraping the barrel with what we could get.

The one thing I will say about it is I think it helped develop our younger players the last time we won it, it gave them a winning mentality and eased them in bit by bit playing lower league teams, but it's a joke competition now and no a funny one

Edited by MrDust

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Aye give me a game against Brechin for the sixth time this season fs. It's different teams and the chance for a big beast of an away trip. We'll probably win. It's a dream draw.

A free weekend would suit us far better at this point of the season when we're carrying a number of injuries and struggling,. I presume we get recompensed for the cost of travel for this trip.