The Falkirk FC Thread

how many times in our history have we played a competitive fixture outside Scotland? we're not rangers/celtic make the most of it, I'm going over and I think there will be a pretty good travelling support. team are given cash towards travel by the league

let's be honest, if we announced tomorrow we'd signed messi and Ronaldo guys would come on here (and one f) moaning about how the two of them couldn't play well in the same team or ask why we didn't sign a right back with the money!!

I must correct my initial statement about the sides being sent making it harder for our lesser clubs.They don't even send their best sides for this tournament. Sligo are second bottom and only came mid table along with bray last season. I just feel its an added distraction .

A bit harsh, the northern Irish and welsh teams are their best. The republic teams are the highest non European qualifiers, hardly duff sides. Sligo may be struggling in the league but if they'd had a great season and been top they'd still be in irn bru cup! Is an hours flight really any worse than a 4 hour bus trip to say brora in this cup? 

Obviously this competition is a pale shadow of what it was in it's early days but I feel the addition of the Welsh and Irish teams does give it a bit more interest.
The Colt teams are a disgrace however. Should we be drawn against one of these we should field our under 17's.

6 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Obviously this competition is a pale shadow of what it was in it's early days but I feel the addition of the Welsh and Irish teams does give it a bit more interest.
The Colt teams are a disgrace however. Should we be drawn against one of these we should field our under 17's.

Na f**k that, play our absolute strongest team, get them absolutely pumped (wishful thinking) and break the spirits of the youngsters in the process showing the organisers that there is no need or place for Colt teams. Savage.

1 minute ago, Believe The Hype said:

Na f**k that, play our absolute strongest team, get them absolutely pumped (wishful thinking) and break the spirits of the youngsters in the process showing the organisers that there is no need or place for Colt teams. Savage.

Aye, exactly. If they all get pumped out in the first or second round every year this experiment will end.

That said I agree with @Reggie Perrin , quite like having the Welsh, NI and Irish teams in, without the colts it'd be decent.

Alston headed back you lot on loan, apparently. Him and Kane were identified as expendable players to help us bring in a new striker. He'll be out of our squad tomorrow as things get formalised.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Alston headed back you lot on loan, apparently. Him and Kane were identified as expendable players to help us bring in a new striker. He'll be out of our squad tomorrow as things get formalised.

Believe it when i see it, would love to have him back right enough.

Don't build my hopes up for nothing now! I'm a state as it is before tomorrow's game [emoji27]

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would love that!! Although in my opinion if we are looking to get anyone in on loan it should be for a left or right back. We have options for right midfield, none as good as Alston so far I would add, but options none the less. We have no practical cover for RB or LB which is where we should strengthen as has been shown the past couple of weeks.

44 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

A bit harsh, the northern Irish and welsh teams are their best. The republic teams are the highest non European qualifiers, hardly duff sides. Sligo may be struggling in the league but if they'd had a great season and been top they'd still be in irn bru cup! Is an hours flight really any worse than a 4 hour bus trip to say brora in this cup? 

The irish teams are all out of europe now anyway so they'd have been aswell taking part. I mean Bray average 900 and Sligo 1500 so crowds arent going be much better than anything over here . Anyway each to their own I just don't want this fixture getting in the way of our league campaign which has stuttered enough. If we were flying in the league  it would be a different story.

Alston back on loan would make my day.  We could send St Johnstone Harris as a straight replacement.

These are the kind of moves that the bairn for life scheme would be good for funding if necessary. A player we know will do an excellent job at this level.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can't believe this one bit. We need decentish options for our bench/back up players in our squad. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/492550/st-johnstone-boss-happy-transfer-business-far/ 

Last paragraph on that states 

Blair Alston is a doubt for the match, with Wright reporting: “Blair has a thigh niggle which we will assess again. He picked up a dead leg a couple of weeks ago but it seems to have flared up a bit. If there is any doubt about him we won’t risk him but hopefully he will be OK.” 

Doesn't exactly sound like he's on his way. Also, much as I like Blair he, like Harris, could go missing in games and we really badly need full-backs ahead of any other position right now.

Edited by PipoIsABairn

how many times in our history have we played a competitive fixture outside Scotland? we're not rangers/celtic make the most of it, I'm going over and I think there will be a pretty good travelling support. team are given cash towards travel by the league
let's be honest, if we announced tomorrow we'd signed messi and Ronaldo guys would come on here (and one f) moaning about how the two of them couldn't play well in the same team or ask why we didn't sign a right back with the money!!

That's true we do all like a good moan.

On a more serious note, never mind Ronaldo and Messi in the same team don't you think Messi and McKee would get in each other's way.

11 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I don't think League of Ireland sides were in the completion last year and I can assure you they are not 'absolute gangs'. Have a look at their top sides results this season and they are on a steep rise.

Sligo are struggling in the League of Ireland Premier this season but should probably be favourites for our visit.

I was referring to the two Northern Irish sides.

What results should I be having a look at?

Alston expendable after starting 2 outta 3 domestic games so far and I know he started one of the two euro games, maybe two, can't be arsed to look

More chance of us getting O'Halloran on loan from them.

At least the Perth soccer fans up there are consistent with their rumours

Edited by MrDust