The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

He didn't fall at us at all, the season before we finished eighth and he had to completely rebuild the squad, his first season we were clear in second place and only a rampant St Mirren kept us from winning the league, we reached both National Semis and beat Rangers at Ibrox. Second season it was only a Gretna side, who spent six month of the season with a wage bill that dwarfed top flight times, that kept him from promotion, and even then it took a last minute goal. Third season we took a while to get going due to the previous season but we'd reached the Challenge Cup Final and were picking up momentum. His two seasons we picked up more points in the league (66,65) than McInnes managed (58,65)

So Owens targets were reach two national semis, beat Rangers at Ibrox and reach a challenge cup final and not promotion ?

Win or not he has to go. Craigen was never in the game yesterday, constantly out of position, not pressing from the front. I was looking for Sibbs to replace him near the end of the first half but he waits until we're struggling during the second before making that change. I've had it with his team setup, substitutions and excuses. It's time to put serious pressure on the BoD for change. It's clear he's not getting the best out of that team and should do the right thing now.

So Owens targets were reach two national semis, beat Rangers at Ibrox and reach a challenge cup final and not promotion ?

It was to revitalise us after an absolute disaster of a season initially, the squad he inherited possessed about 80% of the "worst ever eleven" our fans always talk about, so promotion was a bit of a fantasy target. Second season was to try and improve on the first, he managed that by bringing us even closer to promotion. In no way is he a failure.

The parallels of this Falkirk side and ourselves from last season are quite striking.

Plenty of hope with a few decent signings, then the realisation that the squad is horribly imbalanced, the gaffer then takes this out on the players after a winless start to the season rather than admits his own shortcomings and failure to recruit in the correct areas.

Still have this unshakeable feeling that Falkirk might do reasonably well this season if they change manager and appoint the correct replacement... they won't win the league or even be challenging as although they have a strong front line on paper, there's no real strength in depth there and their midfield lets them down badly. There are several sides with better squads than them but I think they really do have to pull the trigger on Houston ASAP to have any chance of salvaging a top 4 challenge, which could still happen.

58 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It was to revitalise us after an absolute disaster of a season initially, the squad he inherited possessed about 80% of the "worst ever eleven" our fans always talk about, so promotion was a bit of a fantasy target. Second season was to try and improve on the first, he managed that by bringing us even closer to promotion. In no way is he a failure.

So Owens target wasn't to win promotion then....thanks

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

The parallels of this Falkirk side and ourselves from last season are quite striking.

Plenty of hope with a few decent signings, then the realisation that the squad is horribly imbalanced, the gaffer then takes this out on the players after a winless start to the season rather than admits his own shortcomings and failure to recruit in the correct areas.

Still have this unshakeable feeling that Falkirk might do reasonably well this season if they change manager and appoint the correct replacement... they won't win the league or even be challenging as although they have a strong front line on paper, there's no real strength in depth there and their midfield lets them down badly. There are several sides with better squads than them but I think they really do have to pull the trigger on Houston ASAP to have any chance of salvaging a top 4 challenge, which could still happen.

We've got virtually the same squad as last season when we came 2nd. The only player I'd have kept who left was Leahy. If we play the right players in the right positions we should be able to compete as there are no teams anywhere near hibs standards this season. However, Houston continues to play people out of position and the likes of taiwo and Kerr in the same side. Obviously hippo and Grant injured and sibbald not up to speed doesn't help .

3 hours ago, Rugster said:

No fucking vember? Away to f**k. 

Fair point, but by putting this to the management team and players now. They get their act together to save their jobs, if not no complaints when they go. Falkirk have not sacked managers without giving them a fair chance when things go wrong at the start of a season. One way or another a massive clear out from top to bottom is required if not now then at the end of the season.

I'm getting to the stage where I'm disappointed when this thread isnt top of the forum - its an early indication that the ginger git still hasn't resigned..

Houstie has stated he will walk at the end of the season if he doesn't take us up. There is not a f*ckin hope in hell of us recovering from this start to being in a promotable position come May, so just what exactly is it Houstie thinks he can achieve this season?  A good run in the Irn-Bru cup?

Blaming individual people and his refusal to accept any responsibility for the shambles that is being displayed on the pitch is frankly indefensible and in my opinion largely the reason we are seeing some horseshit performances from certain players.  Add to that - taking the relatively un-budgeted for boost from the Kingsley sale and buying ANOTHER two f*cking centre backs while still not having a natural right back or left back that is good enough for this level, giving a contract to Watson and Shepherd in particular (2 players who are nowhere near the first team and likely never will be), persisting with two defensive midfielders with no pace in a 442 system that does not make the best use of any of our players attributes and 'demanding' we play the ball on the deck whilst signing players like Gasparotto and Balatoni. 

So f*ck all man-management, f*ck all transfer acumen, f*ck all judgement of players ability and f*ck all tactical ability.

The sooner we inevitably appoint Maybury and Miller, the better

Big problem in all of this is we have a manager completely incapable of recognising his culpability in any of this, and who has an ego the size of a bus coupled to having a BoD that is equally incapable of recognising their collective culpability in any of this, and who have a joint ego the size of a fleet of buses.
Christ, they never admitted any wrongdoing when Ritchie and George Craig nearly bankrupted the club. All of that was swept under the carpet, and the lot of them never uttered a public word of contrition for what they had done.
So the chances of them implying responsibility for this latest shambles by sacking Houston simply isn't going to happen without some major external leverage (like PATG revenue dropping to less than half of current figures). Even then, I genuinely believe this board would take the club into oblivion before they'd ever take responsibility for all that's happened.

Said a while back I believe he has lost the dressing room. Results would seem to indicate that is indeed the case. I take it he has done a "clear the air" meeting or is that still to come? 

Constantly slating the players isn't helpful either - not saying some don't deserve it - but it looks like they have just switched off. He won't last, but where that leaves Falkirk by the time he goes is anyones guess and you can't rule anything out, and by that I mean fighting relegation playoff's or worse 

God, he is going to get a public message of support from the chairman next. While in the rest of planet football that means "he's a goner", in Falkirk's case, that really means "Peter has convinced us here in the boardroom that all is well, so we have decided he's staying forever and ever. Emm......just a pale sherry for me."

4 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Fair point, but by putting this to the management team and players now. They get their act together to save their jobs, if not no complaints when they go. Falkirk have not sacked managers without giving them a fair chance when things go wrong at the start of a season. One way or another a massive clear out from top to bottom is required if not now then at the end of the season.

Exactly! And look what that did for us when we let May struggle on far too long!