The Falkirk FC Thread

We can't just keep saying this every week!

Totally agree. This forum like some sort of FFC Groundhog Day hell. Just cut & paste gripes & moans every Saturday & Sunday.

I never think that social media a real barometer of how the majority feel but I'd wager that the majority now agree a dugout change is needed.

How best to galvanise/harness that should be the focus if anything is to be done. Anything else is just more of the same.

A walkout is my preferred option. Makes a clear visual statement & also means not having to watch Taiwo & Kerr play together.

Ideas welcomed. [emoji108]

And I don't mean from the Hibby or Dunfermline schadenfraude lot

Just dipped into the Dundee Utd forum as we play them next week and they are seething about McKinnon almost as much as we are about Houston even though they are 8 points better off than us. The atmosphere next weekend will be interesting with a stadium full of angry fans from both sides!!

I'm quite looking forward to it in a weird sort of way, even though I cannot see anything other than a Falkirk win. We really are garbage.

2 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I'm quite looking forward to it in a weird sort of way, even though I cannot see anything other than a Falkirk win. We really are garbage.

Given that both teams were the bookies 1 and 2 this season I think next week will be honking.

I genuinely think we could be 8th at the end of the season.

Houston's untouchable and is basically getting a free salary for his last season. Him and the players do not give a shit about our club.

Is there an appetite for chants of "sack the board" or "Houstie must go" from the south stand next Saturday, probably not.

We might get the odd shouts of discontent like at the QOS game and there will be booing at the end if we don't get the right result but I fear apathy has well and truly set in at TFS.

Lose to Dundee United and follow it up with a defeat to Livi then I can see the support going nuclear.

Dundee United are no great shakes but we're genuinely relegation fodder just now.

I look at a team like Livi for example and there is a clear image that the manager has in his head. Three big units in defence that don't mess about with the ball, win every header and don't mind giving away fouls to stop attacks and slow the game down. Midfield of three players who are comfortable on the ball with room for one or two of the three to get near the strikers. Little niggly forwards that will run the channel and battle for everything to make room for the aforementioned midfielders. Everyone in the team knows their job and knows the plan.

I look at our team and squad and it's a complete mess. We have two proper wingers who want to hit the byline or take players on (Hippo or Harris). It's usually one of them then a player who tucks in on the other side. But there's no consistency to which side they play on. Sometimes our central midfielders want to sit, sometimes they are creative players, sometimes they are more box to box. There's no rhyme or reason to how he pairs them up or who he selects them against (eg Kerr/Taiwo yesterday when we were going to have more of the ball). None of the forwards are alike - this should be an advantage and make us more flexible but again, we just play the same way regardless and it's a long ball up to whoever the tallest striker is. He talks about wanting to play the ball out but then signs guys like Gasparotto or Balatoni who will win headers but they aren't going to cross the halfway line to spray passes about. He's just signed players who are available rather than planning what he wants us to be like.

I think our best bet is a 3-5-2 with Hippolyte at right wing back. Put McKee and Taiwo either side of Sibbald to do us running. Front two of Loy and one of Austin/O' Hara, the former dropping a bit deeper, the latter playing on the shoulder where they can do their best work. We should be stretching teams to let our creative players get some space. Playing off scraps cause no one has a clue what they're supposed to be doing week to week is not only brutal to watch, it's not a way to win games.

The players need to show more pride but no wonder they're disillusioned when the team selection is basically a tombola every week.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

We finished 8th, close to relegation to the third tier, the season before he came in, and he laid the foundations for the successes we've had since with his professionalism. He took Burnley into the EPL aswell.

He's clearly not going to be your next manager though, absolute fantasy stuff.

10yr ago he left St Johnstone failing, 7 year ago he left Burnley actually achieving. Fill in the following gaps reads 4 clubs 4 either nice sackings or sacking. 

If he does get back into management, it will be at the lower end now, he's cashed in his Burnley chips now. 

The longer he is out, the lower he will go, tho we will be stuck with Houston and choose cheap option thereafter

57 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I can't believe how forgiving you guys are of the players. They deserve as much stick as Houston, surely?

If a player is incapable of playing a certain way, then it's by far and away more the fault of the manager for expecting them to do something they are incapable of doing.

It's like signing a proven target man and expecting them to play with the ball at their feet, 30 yards from and with their back to goal.

50 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I can't believe how forgiving you guys are of the players. They deserve as much stick as Houston, surely?

The manager picks them in positions they are not suited to, we don't know how to attack, yesterday we had a centre mid on the left, two sitting mids in the centre and a natural wide player on the right. Up top we had Austin and Loy who generally drops into midfield a lot, so in effect we were playing 4-2-2-1-1 against brechin.

We have 6 centre halves on our books, around 5 centre mids, 4 strikers and two full backs in total, the manager is to blame for a huge imbalance.

Most managers have an expiry date, Houston's was up after last season unfortunately

The players are a disgrace at the moment but there is a total lack of leadership both in the dugout and in the Boardroom. We desperately need someone to take a grip of both the club and the team and give them a damn good shake. I never understood the legendary status Houston gained as a player, he was the very definition of a journeyman and his spell as manager is descending into farce.We have some decent players but a bizzarely unbalanced squad that he clearly has no idea how to use .
Time to be honest with himself and admit his time is up.

10yr ago he left St Johnstone failing

He didn't fall at us at all, the season before we finished eighth and he had to completely rebuild the squad, his first season we were clear in second place and only a rampant St Mirren kept us from winning the league, we reached both National Semis and beat Rangers at Ibrox. Second season it was only a Gretna side, who spent six month of the season with a wage bill that dwarfed top flight times, that kept him from promotion, and even then it took a last minute goal. Third season we took a while to get going due to the previous season but we'd reached the Challenge Cup Final and were picking up momentum. His two seasons we picked up more points in the league (66,65) than McInnes managed (58,65)

12 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

:lol:

I wish we were as garbage as you

1 Up St Mirren 5   4 0 1   6 12
2 Down Dunfermline 5   3 1 1   9 10
3 Down Queen of South 5   3 1 1   6 10
4   Dundee United 5   3 1 1   0 10
5   Morton 5   2 2 1   3 8
6   Livingston 5   1 3 1   -1 6
7   Inverness CT 5   1 1 3   -3 4
8   Dumbarton 5   0 3 2   -5 3
9   Falkirk 5   0 2 3   -7 2
10   Brechin City 5   0 2 3   -8 2
Edited by Senator Frimpton

If it's no better come the end of November then it's over for PH and his staff, that is being fair and giving what we have a chance to turn things round. That will give the new manager time to do a Jack Ross at St Mirren in have a clear out bringing in a fresh squad in during the transfer window. The youth programme used to produce 2-3 players a year is not producing the goods. It is now a cost liability and requires a complete rethink. If the like's of Finlayson , Shepherd and Blues cannot make the first 11 we have at present what's the point of having them on the books.

31 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

If it's no better come the end of November then it's over for PH and his staff, that is being fair and giving what we have a chance to turn things round. That will give the new manager time to do a Jack Ross at St Mirren in have a clear out bringing in a fresh squad in during the transfer window. The youth programme used to produce 2-3 players a year is not producing the goods. It is now a cost liability and requires a complete rethink. If the like's of Finlayson , Shepherd and Blues cannot make the first 11 we have at present what's the point of having them on the books.

No fucking vember? Away to f**k.