The Falkirk FC Thread

Not going as wife is backshift, not paying for FTV either tho. Have served my time and supported the team this season despite the utter fucking shite we have been served up for large portions. Cant bring myself to pay 8 quid to watch this though.

All I care about now is emptying out the utter shite early enough to give the Don the most time with the most available budget.

On that, has anyone ever thought of crowdfunding to buy Alex Harris out of his contract? Genuinely cant believe no one has mentioned this yet.

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

If the enthusiasm for tomorrow’s game on this thread is anything to go by, I might be the only one there.....

I’d generally always make the last game as a principle. However with zero to play for on either teams part, and in light of the shocking season we’ve had, I just can’t justify going this time. I don’t in any way disrespect the contributions of Alex Smith but it’s not enough to entice me either.

The sooner we move forward the better. I’d be delighted with a flurry of activity next week more than I would be entertained by anything that could happen tomorrow. 

Edited by BountyBairn

22 hours ago, Fitbafollower said:

Will the players Be told this week if they are to be offered a new contract or released ?

Hartley knows the coming season is a make or break for him. He will do a Jack Ross and punt most of the squad that got the club into the mess we found ourselves in.  He will keep 2 to 4 players from the first team squad if they are lucky. The reserve team players had a great opportunity to stake a place in the first team, goodness knows there were enough positions up for grabs. Nobody stepped up, so it's tough but out they go and give them a chance elsewhere. We should be looking at about 10 to 14 signings. There are gems out there Will Vaulks and Lyle Taylor proved it. You can say what you like about Hartley but he knows how to get a team promoted. His job this season was to keep us up so well done to the guy so he has the goodwill of the fans. New team , new style and a fresh start.  With Hartley's bulging contact book think look on the up.

32 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

Some players were told this week they are being released so I'm sure we will see on Monday who it is. 3 players that I know of have been told so far (could be more). 2 centre halves and a midfielder.

The flurry I was alluding to.

Even if all activity is out to start with, I’ll enjoy that.

Get our business done early is where we’ve been poor since coming down. Hope that the Don rectifies this with the almost blank canvas he’ll create for himself.

It's 3 first team players I was told about, not that any of them are a surprise. Strange that they were told during the week then set to play on Saturday though. Hartley must be itching to get rid [emoji38]
Get it telt then. This is totally pointless stuff here. Use the mask of anonymity the forum affords you and post the fucking names. Its open season anyway, no one is safe.

5 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

It's 3 first team players I was told about, not that any of them are a surprise. Strange that they were told during the week then set to play on Saturday though. Hartley must be itching to get rid :lol:

I thought it was a bit strange at first, but when you think about it the decision makes sense.

The last game is a dead rubber, in that it will have no effect on our league placings. Letting  the players know beforehand means that those who're being released only need to come in tomorrow and that's them finished. They don't have to return on Monday to be told that their contract won't be renewed.  It's safe to assume those contracts expire after the end of the playoffs so it gives them a couple of extra days paid holiday.

And as one of them said yesterday, it gives tomorrow an extra bite, knowing that if he's selected he may be playing to impress a potential next employer. The released list might not go public for another couple of days but you can be sure their agents are aware and  folk will be watching them.

38 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

It's 3 first team players I was told about, not that any of them are a surprise. Strange that they were told during the week then set to play on Saturday though. Hartley must be itching to get rid :lol:

Grant,Watson and Tiawo would be my guesses.

Some players/agents may have approached the club to see if their client is getting a new contract as they may have something lined up for them.

Can’t imagine Hartley walked into the dressing room and picked 3 players out of 15 due to be released and told them.

Hartley knows the coming season is a make or break for him. He will do a Jack Ross and punt most of the squad that got the club into the mess we found ourselves in.  He will keep 2 to 4 players from the first team squad if they are lucky. The reserve team players had a great opportunity to stake a place in the first team, goodness knows there were enough positions up for grabs. Nobody stepped up, so it's tough but out they go and give them a chance elsewhere. We should be looking at about 10 to 14 signings. There are gems out there Will Vaulks and Lyle Taylor proved it. You can say what you like about Hartley but he knows how to get a team promoted. His job this season was to keep us up so well done to the guy so he has the goodwill of the fans. New team , new style and a fresh start.  With Hartley's bulging contact book think look on the up.

Whilst I am supportive of significant change I really hope that Hartley keeps a few more than two players.
To build a successful team, you need a decent ‘spine’. So you need to keep players you can rely on and build around them.
Sibbald, Nelson, Robson, and maybe even Muirhead would form a decent spine in my eyes. Jak if we could get him. Longridge if he could be more consistent. Build around them, evaluate at Christmas and make further changes then by all means, but bringing in eleven new players who know nothing of each other and have little by the way of team spirit would probably not work, certainly not in the early part of the season.

9 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Whilst I am supportive of significant change I really hope that Hartley keeps a few more than two players.
To build a successful team, you need a decent ‘spine’. So you need to keep players you can rely on and build around them.
Sibbald, Nelson, Robson, and maybe even Muirhead would form a decent spine in my eyes. Jak if we could get him. Longridge if he could be more consistent. Build around them, evaluate at Christmas and make further changes then by all means, but bringing in eleven new players who know nothing of each other and have little by the way of team spirit would probably not work, certainly not in the early part of the season.

Agree with what you’re saying here but tbh, if we end up with a starting 11 of new players, it’s the management teams duty to build understanding and team spirit. So we let the Don as he must.

Agree with what you’re saying here but tbh, if we end up with a starting 11 of new players, it’s the management teams duty to build understanding and team spirit. So we let the Don as he must.

And I am sure to a certain level that team spirit can be built in reasonable time.
I think it’s the little things that ain’t always visible that you lose out on when you make wholesale changes. The players don’t have that understanding of each other’s ‘ways’, so moves breakdown as a result, and we are potentially less creative.
It takes time to build that understanding, and so gradual, but significant change, makes more sense than wholesale change to me.
But I agree, we need to give Hartley every chance to make his mark.