The Falkirk FC Thread

Yes, that`s definitely it....we had beaten Aberdeen 3-1 in another classic to get to the qf. I can recall it being under floodlights when Tam young scored must have been 30yds out at least and I`m sure it was the Watson St end so you would have gotten a good view of it. Happiest I`ve ever been as a Falkirk supporter, genuinely felt we could beat anybody at Brockville back then.
Likewise.... the Aberdeen game ( Fergie got 2 ) and that Hibs game were standouts at that time.
After the Aberdeen game i can remember getting home and watching the highlights on the telly.... either that or i was sleeping and was replaying everything i saw in a dream.
I was only 11 at the time and didnt have a clear view of big Tams goal.. i usually went right down the front but there was no room to move.
I thought the same as you.... we could beat anyone at Brockville.
The Cunningham and Jeffries eras where the best times to be a bairn.
Happy days that will be extremely hard to beat.

6 minutes ago, bud1876 said:

Likewise.... the Aberdeen game ( Fergie got 2 ) and that Hibs game were standouts at that time.
After the Aberdeen game i can remember getting home and watching the highlights on the telly.... either that or i was sleeping and was replaying everything i saw in a dream.
I was only 11 at the time and didnt have a clear view of big Tams goal.. i usually went right down the front but there was no room to move.
I thought the same as you.... we could beat anyone at Brockville.
The Cunningham and Jeffries eras where the best times to be a bairn.
Happy days that will be extremely hard to beat.

I'd happily second the Jeffries era comment. Brilliant players, good results. Nice guy to boot, spoke to him at a Celtic vs Falkirk game that my brother in law had won. He was in front of us doing scouting in the Directors box with Billy Brown. 

Yes, that`s definitely it....we had beaten Aberdeen 3-1 in another classic to get to the qf. I can recall it being under floodlights when Tam young scored must have been 30yds out at least and I`m sure it was the Watson St end so you would have gotten a good view of it. Happiest I`ve ever been as a Falkirk supporter, genuinely felt we could beat anybody at Brockville back then.

Remember it very well. And the Coventry Texaco cup game

46 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

You are right, got the 2 games mixed up. The Aberdeen game was another great midweek game in the Cunningham era. As I remember it was nil - nil at half time and that gang of cynical cheats were keeping up the tradition. Falkirk kicked off the second half and the ball was played back to George Millar in the 18 yard box. Not one Falkirk player went into the Aberdeen half but that bunch of whinging cheats all ran to the half way line with their arms up claiming offside. Unfortunately for them when Miller chipped the ball into the middle of the Aberdeen half  John Markie who was standing beside him took off. He was 3 yards past them when the ball came over. Markie ran onto it and Clark the goalie puller off a great save only for Tiger McLaughlin to score from the rebound. Aberdeen lost the plot and ran around trying to get players booked and complain about every shy , by kick and corner. Some things never change even after 48 years that mob are still worth despising.  Tactical masterclass from the best manager we ever had. The Willie Cunningham era were halcyon days indeed.

6 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

Get the impression with Froxy that you could see him struggle against the Shire one midweek then spot him knocking a 20 yarder in for Cyprus a week later against France...

I get the impression he's spent most of his time knocking one out in the Beancross Inn.

2 hours ago, Rocco said:
2 hours ago, MrDust said:
Exactly what I was about to post tho Austin had and has issues with his paper muscles at times, easily torn
The big difference tho is Froxy has shown it at times at this level tho and Austin was untried albeit scoring against higher level teams in the cup for East Fife

The problem these players have is they wouldn't be at the same fitness levels as full time players and then they go on holiday and enjoy themselves so by the time they come back for pre season they're a mile behind the other guys

Can we not pretend Froxylias is some sort of jobbing plumber who is new to this crazy world of full time football? He is a current full international who has been full time his whole career other than one season at Dumbarton. Their fans have said often enough he is lazy but inspirational. It's what he does. There is no point in kidding yourself that if he somehow "gets fitter" he will be running around all game and developing a tendency to track opposition runs he has never had before. 

He is a maverick who offers the inspiration and creativity, not work ethic. You make your choice if thats what you want in your team. He was always a surprising Hartley signing for me.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Can we not pretend Froxylias is some sort of jobbing plumber who is new to this crazy world of full time football? He is a current full international who has been full time his whole career other than one season at Dumbarton. Their fans have said often enough he is lazy but inspirational. It's what he does. There is no point in kidding yourself that if he somehow "gets fitter" he will be running around all game and developing a tendency to track opposition runs he has never had before. 

He is a maverick who offers the inspiration and creativity, not work ethic. You make your choice if thats what you want in your team. He was always a surprising Hartley signing for me.

He will likely be a last half hour type of player once the opposition team are on their knees a bit and running less. Could see him easily pinging balls past people in those circumstances. He may play more regularly if the rest of the midfield can start working as a unit, but in a flat four at the moment, there's no room for a passenger.

What he hasn't done, apart from at Dunbarton, is play anwhere near regular football.

Edited by DeeBairn

Going back to the 69-70 season, a few games stick out.... 7-5 v Queen of the South.... this after being 3-0 down within 15 or 20 mins ( nearly missed this game.... my dad was working so couldnt take me...so a neighbour took me ). and 7-0 away to Clydebank.
I checked better meddle for some others.... we scored 94 league goals that season.
Top league scorers were
Tam Young 19
Andy Roxburgh 17
Alex Ferguson 15
Geordie Miller 14.... not bad return for a defender.

I didn't say any of the things you've said. I think he's unfit and once he's fit he will be an option. He will never track back and that's evident. He is an attacking mid which like you say is a luxury but he could be effective if the formation suits his style of play. Until then I think we'll see the odd cameo from him in the last 20 minutes here and there

I for one would absolutely take a 'luxury player' like Froxy in the team especially against teams which will sit in. 

We've been lacking creativity throughout pre-season and I have a feeling he could give us a bit more going forward if he's given a chance.

1 minute ago, EdiBairn said:

I for one would absolutely take a 'luxury player' like Froxy in the team especially against teams which will sit in. 

We've been lacking creativity throughout pre-season and I have a feeling he could give us a bit more going forward if he's given a chance.

Yup, we just need to get the balance right or it'll go horribly wrong.

Latapy was a luxury player in the sense he never turned around and did much tackling, but what a luxury player. If Foxy is a third as good he'll do a good job.

Inverness are fucking shite

Pretty much the same team that finished strongly last season and 7/1 fourth favourites with the bookies. (We are 10/1).

They had a shite day today but just about everyone on here keeps telling us almost daily that these Betfred games don’t matter so why are we suddenly judging them on today’s result?

I think we’ll be ok on Saturday...although if truth be told I ain’t got a f**king clue how good we are at the moment....

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I dont think anyone is suggesting he is a jobbing plumber, Hartley all his managerial career has put a huge emphasis on players fitness, I'd guess Froxy isn't at that level as of yet and being part time or full time makes zero difference to reach that level. 

Tbh I have never seen him be a maverick against us and I also was surprised to see Hartley in for him, time will tell what he will bring and I have my doubts he will get a chance to under Hartley

1 hour ago, DeeBairn said:

What he hasn't done, apart from at Dunbarton, is play anwhere near regular football.

He didn't even play regular at Dumbarton