The Falkirk FC Thread

7 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Glad rogers fecked off. He sounded like more of the shit we already have.  A lot of players say they'd never play for teams on 3g pitches but its amazing how often they change their minds when offered a contract by one. David Templeton being one example.

What do you think of the Bauben signing? What about the display on Saturday?

5 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

What do you think of the Bauben signing? What about the display on Saturday?

I reckon the Buaben signing is a definite move in the right direction. Should still be a player at this level and hopefully may be able to drag some life out of Hartleys dross.  Got to admit that before Saturday I wondered if we'd get any points before christmas so was pleasantly surprised. Of course if we get pumped on Saturday it won't mean much but gives us hope that all is not lost.

4 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I reckon the Buaben signing is a definite move in the right direction. Should still be a player at this level and hopefully may be able to drag some life out of Hartleys dross.  Got to admit that before Saturday I wondered if we'd get any points before christmas so was pleasantly surprised. Of course if we get pumped on Saturday it won't mean much but gives us hope that all is not lost.

I assume that you weren't there given your location but it looks like McKinnon's going to play a defensive formation looking to hit on the break with the pace of Lewis and Petra and I think that'll continue on Saturday.

There's definitely the potential for goals in the team so I think the crucial aspect on Saturday will be the performance of the defence and defensive midfielder whoever that may be. Hopefully McGhee rather than Paton assuming that Bauben's not going to be ready yet.

Just now, ShaggerG said:

I assume that you weren't there given your location but it looks like McKinnon's going to play a defensive formation looking to hit on the break with the pace of Lewis and Petra and I think that'll continue on Saturday.

There's definitely the potential for goals in the team so I think the crucial aspect on Saturday will be the performance of the defence and defensive midfielder whoever that may be. Hopefully McGhee rather than Paton assuming that Bauben's not going to be ready yet.

My locations a load of mince mate. Just haven't bothered changing it.  Backbone of the team is where our biggest problems have lain this season. Hopefully Buaben is the midfield part of that. A damn good experienced centre half and a decent experienced centre forward and things should improve quickly. 

So who in the squad would we reckon are now considered write offs, and unlikely to play again unless there’s a major injury crisis?

I think TOE and Turner are the two who seem obvious goners. I would love Paton to be part of that, and if nothing else, his remaining time at the club could act as a stark reminder of action and consequence........don’t do the homework, start panic signing, and this is what you get.

4 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

So who in the squad would we reckon are now considered write offs, and unlikely to play again unless there’s a major injury crisis?

I think TOE and Turner are the two who seem obvious goners. I would love Paton to be part of that, and if nothing else, his remaining time at the club could act as a stark reminder of action and consequence........don’t do the homework, start panic signing, and this is what you get.

Sammut?

8 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Sammut?

I reckon him and perhaps even Russell might well be headed for the exit door. Sammut not because he isn’t good enough, but simply because he isn’t ready for it. Probably the sort of guy who in 3 or 4 years time, pops up in the Hearts midfield.

19 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I think TOE and Turner are the two who seem obvious goners. I would love Paton to be part of that, and if nothing else, his remaining time at the club could act as a stark reminder of action and consequence........don’t do the homework, start panic signing, and this is what you get

I reckon we will see a good few leave in January. 

Russell and Turner obvious ones as they will be out of contract. 

The likes of TOE and Greenwood can leave for me and will probably be able to find a club somewhere willing to take them on. Haber can leave if we can end his loan early and same goes for Sammut.

Thet would be a start :)

24 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I'd like to see a decent centre half brought in and paired with McGhee. In that case I'd hope the likes of Harrison and Dallison wouldn't have to play much. TOE and Turner are mince and Haber isn't interested.  Would be interesting to see Sammut alongside Buaben to see if he could help him through games instead of that clown Paton who has to spend most of the time concentrating on his own shoddy game.  The rest are probably good enough if played alongside the right players to keep us up. Wouldn't keep many of them come the summer  though if we want to have hopes of promotion next season.  

Edited by Shodwall cat

1 hour ago, Rocco said:
1 hour ago, Kennedys_Moustache said:
Any update on who the players are? Herald is saying we've been turned down on an extended trial by a former Charlton player? 

Is that not Anton Rodgers?

I thought that as well, but can't see any reference to him having played for Charlton. Mind you, the herald to have a good record of getting stuff wrong, so you never know. I'd rather it was Rodgers, than potentially someone that could have done a shift. 

The Greenwood thing makes no sense to me. I thought he looked pretty decent in the actual games he's played. He then has one bad game for the reserves and suddenly he's mince and doesn't kick a ball for us again? I also think it's worth baring in mind that some of these young lads have probably seriously had their confidence knocked by getting verbally and mentally abused by Hartley on a daily basis (if the reports are true of his complete arseholery). You don't just fix that kind of experience in a day and i'd still reckon some of them may have something to offer in maybe a month or two after the dust has genuinely settled. My main concern is that Irving has been one of our best players so far and he's due to leave in January. I can't see him really wanting to stick it out for more time given the mess he's been involved in. I can see Mackinnon just cutting losses on anyone he can get rid of in a similar way to how Balatoni was let go purely because his contract was up.

3 minutes ago, PipoIsABairn said:

The Greenwood thing makes no sense to me. I thought he looked pretty decent in the actual games he's played. He then has one bad game for the reserves and suddenly he's mince and doesn't kick a ball for us again? I also think it's worth baring in mind that some of these young lads have probably seriously had their confidence knocked by getting verbally and mentally abused by Hartley on a daily basis (if the reports are true of his complete arseholery). You don't just fix that kind of experience in a day and i'd still reckon some of them may have something to offer in maybe a month or two after the dust has genuinely settled. My main concern is that Irving has been one of our best players so far and he's due to leave in January. I can't see him really wanting to stick it out for more time given the mess he's been involved in. I can see Mackinnon just cutting losses on anyone he can get rid of in a similar way to how Balatoni was let go purely because his contract was up.

I agree Greenwood looked ok but he can't get in our matchday squad and can't even get a start for the reserves, there must be more to it with him that we don't know about. 

4 minutes ago, PipoIsABairn said:

Needs must I suppose. We may have to ditch a couple of the better dross to make way for a couple of decent players if we can't get rid of the real dross.  If I hear any mention of ' we need to make sure this club is never in this position again ' though I'll do my nut. That usually ensures that a year later we're back in the same position or worse.

I disagree a bit on Irvine, he has been involved in every game, we have to assume that the atmosphere is much better under McKinnon and there is no way he is getting a game for hearts.

He is as well playing 90 for us every week rather than sitting on the bench. I think player and both managers will know that is the best option. Rudden will be the same.

24 minutes ago, PipoIsABairn said:

Hope not.  There will be a balancing act to free up cash and with dross like Paton on a 2 year deal and harder to shift, tough decision might need to be made.  However, Irving has shown enough to suggest he's worth holiding onto and hopefully he will stick around now that that Rayvolution has begun... 

Worth boting that Balatoni was also not good enough so it was also an easy decision to punt him.

9 minutes ago, Kennedys_Moustache said:

Mind you, the herald to have a good record of getting stuff wrong, so you never know. 

The problem with papers is when they put their own spin on things. If they include direct quotes, as most of their recent online article does, then their stuff tends to be informative. Their quotes from McKinnon about Rodgers and the trialists / closed-door game are well worth reading. 

Then they tell us Rodgers played twice in bounce games. Err no, he played in one bounce game, at Ralston against St Mirren.

Then they tell us that "two new faces" were with the squad for the game yesterday, which is also wrong. The exact quote from McKinnon was "few". If the manager hasn't told them then why make things up?

Easier to say who you would keep

Would like to see the back of TOE, Lewis, Paton (very optimistic), Sammut, Turner (that's a given anyway as he was only signed for a short term loan), Fasan and Haber in Jan. 

Many others have to go in the summer, but we'll need to muddle along with most of them until then.

Bringing in a right back, a wide midfielder, a centre half and a striker. In fact we'd need a goalie on loan too from someone.

I understand this is very very ambitious.

Edited by Bairn Necessities

2 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Sammut, Russell, Toe, Haber, Greenwood, Turner (if he actually exists)

Edited by gav-ffc