The Falkirk FC Thread

30 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Which everyone is quite rightly allowed to pissed off it. On the face of it 4-0 to anyone who wasn’t at the game is a total pumping but we need to pick the bones of it. 

At not point in that game, until maybe the last 5 minutes, did I think we’d lose by that margin or be pumped. It just wasn’t that type of game. Anyone who sees we lost 4-0 would think we were under the cosh from minute 1 to minute 90 and it simply wasn’t the case. That’s why I made the earlier comment “it was never a 4-0 game”. A 4-0 score line yes but never a 4-0 game as it completely flattered Airdrie.

The full situation is made worse because of what happened last year, rightly so. But at no point was that ever like the Queen’s Park game. Sitting at Firhill it was like Queen’s Park would score with every single attack and dominated from the first minute. That’s not what happened yesterday. Luck was shining more on Airdrie yesterday with the two fortuitous goals. 

My biggest annoyance would be at the chances we wasted again with Morrison in particular being the biggest culprit. 

I’m sorry but I disagree mate. When I played football, I hated getting thrashed and took very few positives from it - I’m the same as a supporter. 

I’d rather scrape wins through what I perceive as playing badly than lose 4-0 to what you perceive as a performance with a number of positives or sliding doors moments.

Were Airdrie lucky last season when they finished nearly 30 points ahead of us ? Were they ping, they were just much better than us.

17 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Unfortunately I don't think it's as simple as just saying "drop all four" from yesterdays midfield.  

Last season’s sixth place finish could turn out to be a high point if those four are allowed to continue in midfield.

If we have any intention of doing anything this season, they have to be moved on and replaced with better quality.

Who will take them I don’t know but previous managers have managed to offload poor players over the last few years (although they then replaced them with even worse in many cases).

4 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m sorry but I disagree mate. When I played football, I hated getting thrashed and took very few positives from it - I’m the same as a supporter. 

I’d rather scrape wins through what I perceive as playing badly than lose 4-0 to what you perceive as a performance with a number of positives or sliding doors moments.

Were Airdrie lucky last season when they finished nearly 30 points ahead of us ? Were they ping, they were just much better than us.

I never said there was positives, apart from creating chances in the first half which we did and I also never said Airdrie were lucky last season- in fact I’m sure i said they were the best footballing side in the division IMO but yesterday they did get some amount of luck and fair play to them punishing us.

2 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Who will take them I don’t know but previous managers have managed to offload poor players over the last few years (although they then replaced them with even worse in many cases).

Offloading poor players can be done by any manager, as long as he has one thing. Money. Or at least enough of it. I have no idea if we have but I'd guess not. 

Thought Years did ok yesterday as not a natural right back, I think that he was concentrating on the defensive side and wary not getting caught to far forward.

Think also that should be a last chance for some of last season's imposters.

47 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Offloading poor players can be done by any manager, as long as he has one thing. Money. Or at least enough of it. I have no idea if we have but I'd guess not. 

This is it, unless we can find a club prepared to take them McGlynn isn’t going to waste what’s left of his playing budget paying up a players contracts leaving nothing in the pot for a replacement. We are already operating with a large squad and potentially the highest playing budget in the league, there will be next no no wiggle room now. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

3 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

We were told by the club at the time that many of the previous clear outs were in fact cash neutral as other clubs agreed to take contracted players and their wages were then used to bring in others.

I have no idea to what extent Mcglynn has tried to move on some of those under contract. But to have only managed to get rid of our third choice goalkeeper from last season is not good enough and explains why we’re struggling.

9 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

I never said there was positives, apart from creating chances in the first half which we did and I also never said Airdrie were lucky last season- in fact I’m sure i said they were the best footballing side in the division IMO but yesterday they did get some amount of luck and fair play to them punishing us.

Didn't see any" luck" in the goals - just poor defending.

1 minute ago, PedroMoutinho said:

We were told by the club at the time that many of the previous clear outs were in fact cash neutral as other clubs agreed to take contracted players and their wages were then used to bring in others.

I have no idea to what extent Mcglynn has tried to move on some of those under contract. But to have only managed to get rid of our third choice goalkeeper from last season is not good enough and explains why we’re struggling.

If you were the manager of another club would you want to sign a Heatherington or a Nisbet? 

5 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Does this maybe not underline how bad some of them are, in that no bugger else wants them.

25 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Get on the phone to Jeffries, if you want a lesson on wheeling and dealing, he was one of the best.

he’d be spitting blood in that after match interview. 

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Get on the phone to Jeffries, if you want a lesson on wheeling and dealing, he was one of the best.

he’d be spitting blood in that after match interview. 

It’s changed though - these days managers rarely rip into players in public.

I agree though - Jeffries wouldn’t have accepted that level of performance or effort.

Think Airdrie definitely deserved to win but the 4-0 score line flattered. The game was pretty much over as soon as McKay went off. 

Our lack of ability to stick the ball in the back of the net is infuriating. Morrison had 4 chances in the first half, as well as Alegria. Airdries first goal came against the run of play for me but once they scored they took control of the game. The ref being a wee fanny and giving a corner instead of a goal kick isn't an excuse for our pish defending for the second goal. 

Definitely think we'll see the new boys starting next week. Yeats was missed in the midfield, hopefully we can get a RB in and he can go back to midfield. 

Nesbitt is the most infuriating player, the most deceiving player I've ever seen, looks like he should be brilliant but he's fucking shite 😂

Freak result for me that looks worse than it really was. 

Didn't even see the 4th because I went to start my Saturday night drinking earlier than usual. 

2 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Freak result for me that looks worse than it really was. 

It wasn’t a freak result- we are shite. Airdrie weren’t the same team as last season yet managed to stick 4 past us with ease.

It wasn’t out of the blue either- we’ve had 1 good performance this season against Hibs and have been poor in the rest.

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It’s changed though - these days managers rarely rip into players in public.

McGlynn has the added knife-edge of dealing with players who we can't shift & notoriously downed tools last October. I can see why he didn't tear into them. We're playing a long game here.

47 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

If we have any intention of doing anything this season, they have to be moved on and replaced with better quality.

Any replacements don’t have to be “better quality”. They simply have to possess a few qualities the current guys do not have.

They do not have to possess dribbling skills. They simply have to have pride in their performance, never ever hide, and give their all for the duration of the match. Admittedly a bit of passing ability would be nice too along with a big slice of physicality.

It is just incredible that we all spoke about the same players last season being at the very heart of why we were so bad, and yet there they all are, first picks this season.

I am no longer up for stuff like this being explained away being a freak result or a one off.

We competed for 40 minutes out of 90. We played for 10 minutes or so with 10 men and conceded twice in those 10 minutes, and the game was lost long before McKay went off.

28 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Given the Alloa fans regularly wanked over Hetherington surely to f**k we can punt him to them 

Problem here is you’d be asking him to take a wage cut and go part time, he’s not going to do that unless he’s given an incentive (I.e, a payoff from us!)