The Falkirk FC Thread

He is a cautious manager, and I think that is clear to see. He doesn’t have a cavalier bone in his body. Dropping Nesbitt for one game and then not winning is probably all the evidence needed for him to now be the first name on the team sheet every week.

Must admit, I do not see last season as any sort of valid comparator for this season. I think there’s plenty of supporters that could have achieved what last season’s managers achieved.

Has he bettered McPake? No, not in any objective way he hasn’t. Airdrie are worth a mention. They lost their highly rated manager, and they lost their best players too. Compound that with a rookie managerial appointment and their limited budget, and for me, McCabe has done the remarkable job in L1 this season, but I guess it could be argued that he has been shaded by McPake for having carved out a dominant season long “let’s get out of this league” plan that has worked for them.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

Only three minutes of highlights and half of them were Clyde chances which tells it's own story.

I've said it for the last two weeks he needs to test out a formation with two upfront as we're far too predictable at the moment and we need out our slump pronto with the semi final and playoffs coming up. 

Kinnear
Rowe Donaldson Mckay Mccann
Hendo
Morrison  Max
Lawal
Burrell Oliver/Allan

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Only three minutes of highlights and half of them were Clyde chances which tells it's own story.

I've said it for the last two weeks he needs to test out a formation with two upfront as we're far too predictable at the moment and we need out our slump pronto with the semi final and playoffs coming up. 

Kinnear
Rowe Donaldson Mckay Mccann
Hendo
Morrison  Max
Lawal
Burrell Oliver/Allan

Sorry, but as you are doubtless aware, there is no Nesbitt in your line up, and that means it isn’t going to be accurate. Oliver will of course, be a certainty, but Burrell…….a late signing who after the Edinburgh City game, looked as if he would score if given time to consolidate……….no chance.

Allan……a cash signing (hopefully a nominal fee) who despite scoring at Kelty, is banished back to the bench for the most part.

I don’t see McGlynn dropping Nesbitt or playing Allan any time soon.

14 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I've no idea, someone at board level perhaps? Pure speculation on my ignorant part of course. 

Like I say, to pay money for the guy then barely let him on the pitch seems a strange one. 

I'm also not convinced he's the answer to your problems either. He runs about a lot but his hold up play isn't particularly good and I wouldn't say he's got bags of pace either. 

In saying that, I liked him as an impact sub, he would chase alot of lost causes and that commitment always endears a player to Airdrie fans. 

The Board at Falkirk certainly ain’t signing players with their backgrounds - nonsense thought.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

The Board at Falkirk certainly ain’t signing players with their backgrounds - nonsense thought.

Fair enough, like I stated I am merely speculating. 

Still an odd signing given how it's panned out. Incredible that you paid money for him, £30k if reports are to be believed is ridiculous for a player like Jordan Allan. 

6 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Still an odd signing given how it's panned out. Incredible that you paid money for him, £30k if reports are to be believed is ridiculous for a player like Jordan Allan. 

30k 😂. We were pleading for funding at the time we signed him. No danger we paid anything like that 

Edited by Back Post Misses

5 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

It wasn’t 30k. The rumour (or chat) from the Clyde FC podcast guys who we had on to ours, said Clyde had been holding out for £15k. On the basis we got him, it’s likely the price was far nearer that figure. 

Why he’s not playing him having paid cash for him though is a valid question. 

Guest Caractacus Potts

Would doubt it would be anyone other than McGlynn signing Allan but given that we were pleading for money it’s odd to have sanctioned it unless it ultimately balanced out with players released. 

The one I would lay blame at the board for wasting money is Finlay Malcolm. That was a bizarre signing and nothing more than a waste of a wage. 

Totally agree. The current BoD do not sign players, but the BoD may well sanction signings that they believe to have a financial or reputational impact on the club itself.

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

It is not the role of the BOD to sign players, but would expect that any potential players the manager is after would be subject to review/sign off by the those in charge. 

I don’t think the BoD have the skill set for that. They would be involved for additional funds, or if an individual posed some sort of risk to the club.

Especially pre-season, the manager will spend his budget as he sees fit (other than reputational issues) with no input from the BoD.

30k 😂. We were pleading for funding at the time we signed him. No danger we paid anything like that 

I would imagine it’s a lot less than that. Pure guesswork, but I would reckon a ballpark figure of £5k to £10k tops.

42 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Totally agree. The current BoD do not sign players, but the BoD may well sanction signings that they believe to have a financial or reputational impact on the club itself.

The BoD most likely would be involved in some way regarding the wages, terms, and conditions etc.

Not the individual player selected by the manager..

Could that be where the confusion is coming from.

2 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

If he starts with Oliver as a lone striker on Saturday I’ll be absolutely fuming. I can see him doing it as well.

I think it's a certainty unless maybe Kennedy doesn't make it. He surely won't start Mcguffie again?

59 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I think it's a certainty unless maybe Kennedy doesn't make it. He surely won't start Mcguffie again?

Unfortunately it's a cycle in doing that. We all want him to freshen it up but asking players who've mostly sat on the bench to come in and give 8+/10 performances for others who've had weeks of game time is a tall ask. 

Consistency of selection has been key this year but now it's turned sour I don't think it's reasonable to chop-and-change because bit-part players have poor games. 

More annoyed that regular starters have gone off the boil at this stage to be honest.

4 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I expect we'll see 2 up front on Saturday but it may be at the expense of wingers again.  Kennedy is out and McGuffie is sh*t so wouldn't be surprised if he reverts to the formation used at Alloa.  We'll lose 1 nil again and it'll be back to Oliver and wingers.  

What’s up with Kennedy