The Falkirk FC Thread

7 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I've seen lots of Falkirk fans say similar things to this - basically criticising McGlynn for liking to play with 1 up front. I don't get it, the implication seems to be that this is some kind of flaw in his management. The vast majority of teams these days play with 1 up front - not least the team who put 7 goals past you last week. Very few managers play 2 up front anymore, he's hardly in some minority in preferring one central striker. Indeed, if he loved playing 2 strikers you'd probably get folk calling him a dinosaur.

I'm not saying 2 up front can't work, and I'm certainly not saying that McGlynn doesn't have other flaws worthy of criticism. I mean signing Jordan Allan for a team that play with one striker is a bizarre move. However the fact that he likes to play with one striker in itself is hardly worthy of criticism. That is the way that most successful teams play these days.

Point absolutely taken, however there’s a couple of points specific to us.

One is the absolute inflexibility of McGlynn around this, and his unwillingness to change formation to adapt to circumstances on the pitch.

The main one for me though is having the right players to play the formation.  We had the attacking midfielders to play the 3, which can be seen in the number of goals Kennedy and Morrison had.  But we never had a right focal point striker.  Oliver would drop way too deep and never really played as a striker, and Burrell hated playing as a lone back to goal striker.  That’s not his game, and he admitted as much early on.  Alegria was much better suited to that role.

FWIW I think that’s why we signed Wright, as an attempt to have that type of player.  Shame that it appeared he’d never seen a football before.

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Offer him the chance to play actual, relevant football. Offer Stenny some fucking....bibs or cones or something. 

Is there any substance in the Yates story or is it just a rumour ? He certainly gives flexibility as can play wide, in behind or striker.

He would also bring the enthusiasm of youth which we lack.

8 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Henderson was moved to CM because he was murder at CB. Hopefully he doesn’t move back there. 

If he’s going to play in defence imo it would need to be in a 3. He was ripped apart at cb especially Kelty at home when Agyeman got inside him several times.

37 minutes ago, Hartleys18/19Army said:

Henderson back at CH would be farcical. He was dire when playing there. Never looked comfortable and always making mistakes. Add that to playing alongside Donaldson who also makes mistakes on a every game basis then we'll be in trouble if that's the plan next season.

I agree. Henderson went down far too easy for me at CH. Almost "too nice" a player to be playing there

2 hours ago, grumpyoldman said:
2 hours ago, grumpyoldman said:

Matty Yates is a Stenhousemuir player

Apologies you’re right. I could’ve sworn I seen his name on “return to loan club list” on stennys twitter. 

6 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

We need a strong, consistent spine. Solid GK, strong CH, tough tackling box to box midfielder & a proper goal scorer at this level. 

We’ve said this for years. We need players that are proven winners at this level. This “good enough for the championship” mentality that has crept in is pointless. We just need to win League One and then deal with the Championship if/when we get there. Get the best players from our rivals, it weakens them and strengthens us. If that means offering certain players part time contracts then so be it

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Is there any substance in the Yates story or is it just a rumour ? He certainly gives flexibility as can play wide, in behind or striker.

He would also bring the enthusiasm of youth which we lack.

Nothing at all, I was just throwing out a name. Impressive goal tally considering Stenny had a fairly average season and still only 20.

Henderson was an absolute rock for us at centre half anytime he had to play there. 

Hetherington also been v good middle of the park and good at left back for us too. 

I swear something just happens to players when they go to Falkirk, you lot seem cursed 

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Henderson was an absolute rock for us at centre half anytime he had to play there. 

Hetherington also been v good middle of the park and good at left back for us too. 

I swear something just happens to players when they go to Falkirk, you lot seem cursed 

Hetherington being very good is not something I expected to hear today.

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Doesn't surprise me one bit that Hetherington's fitting in well with Dick Campbell's total football.

IMG_7646.png

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Doesn't surprise me one bit that Hetherington's fitting in well with Dick Campbell's total football.

IMG_7646.png

I can’t read this on my phone it’s too small. We’ve been absolutely eye bleeding to watch this year. Hetherington been doing more defensive work if anything but he’s tidy when he gets it, clever, works hard and reads the game well. Defensively we are actually good, was going forward where we were hopeless. 

Henderson cracking big player at centre half or centre mid. Had hoped we could have signed him as long term centre half beside ToB.

17 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

If you place value in statistics like this over results or position in the SPFL pyramid then you truly deserve McGlynn.

I understand fans want things to immediately click but it takes time to develop a pairing and cohesion. 

It made sense to move Henderson into midfield last year but I reckon having a settled back line & goalkeeper next year will be key to keeping clean sheets.

I genuinely don't think it's a lack of ability with Henderson & Donaldson and they just need games together and less chopping-and-changing around them.