The Falkirk FC Thread

40 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Quite like the look of Dominic Docherty too, wee combative box to box midfielder who's kept the ball ticking all game. Number 8 for Annan. 

If only he hit those levels every week. Decent League 2 Midfielder, good guy, but nothing more

Guest Ecosse83
11 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Having finally caught up with the Falkirk Daft podcast I think we can expect to see Mackie, Henderson and Donaldson as part of any preferred defensive lineup.

I've a gut feeling McKay will be offloaded like Hetherington eventually was once the midfield deficiencies are addressed, allowing Henderson to move back.

I think if we can get a settled defensive unit in place and avoid the, at times, enforced changes for Williamson we might have a base to build from. 

McCann unfortunately becomes the conundrum again. Not good enough to start but too good to sit on our bench. 

Why would Mackie all of a sudden replace McCann who’s been in front of him all season? 

Guest Ecosse83
5 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

@Ecosse83 because I would favour Mackie's physicality over McCann's attacking prowess. 

We shipped too many goals so likely we'll look to shore up at the expense of McCann. The new RB will be of a similar mould IMO.

We certainly won’t be shoring up with Henderson and Donaldson as the centre backs that’s for sure 😂

2 hours ago, HopeStreetCadette said:

I think we need to sign a striker with the thought that Allan will start in a front 2 alongside them. That striker for me needs to have the linkup traits of Oliver but also provide more of a goal scoring threat in the air since we seem to love swinging in crosses from wide areas to nobody. Alegria provided this and proved why his loss was a key one.

McGlynn seems to have this love-in with playing 1 upfront which has to change otherwise Allan being signed for cash is rendered useless imo.

I've seen lots of Falkirk fans say similar things to this - basically criticising McGlynn for liking to play with 1 up front. I don't get it, the implication seems to be that this is some kind of flaw in his management. The vast majority of teams these days play with 1 up front - not least the team who put 7 goals past you last week. Very few managers play 2 up front anymore, he's hardly in some minority in preferring one central striker. Indeed, if he loved playing 2 strikers you'd probably get folk calling him a dinosaur.

I'm not saying 2 up front can't work, and I'm certainly not saying that McGlynn doesn't have other flaws worthy of criticism. I mean signing Jordan Allan for a team that play with one striker is a bizarre move. However the fact that he likes to play with one striker in itself is hardly worthy of criticism. That is the way that most successful teams play these days.

Even the idea of teams being as rigid as playing one or two up front is becoming increasingly archaic tbh. Most sides I watch now have totally different formations and shape when in and out of possession, with very few remaining "big lumps" who just stay up through the middle.

I only watched Falkirk play four times this past season but I certainly didn't see massive issues in terms of formation or style of play. I don't think the players were significantly worse than ours but we seemed to have far more resilience and McPake appeared more reactive in changing shape and personnel when things weren't going well.

Perfect example of McGlynn's intransigence was the 1-0 Pars win at TFS; McPake had him on toast tactically all afternoon and rather than concede he'd been bested and learning from it, he wrote it off as bad luck because his side had enjoyed so much of the ball.

We were often poor in spells during games, especially during the first half, but McPake was able to make small tweaks which often turned matches in our favour. He's not a fantastic coach or a tactical genius but he's humble enough to admit when his plan hasn't worked. I don't really see that from McGlynn tbh. Instead he tends to blame his own players or external factors, rather than hold his hands up.

It's hard to fix a problem if you can't admit you have a problem. McGlynn is a good enough coach to get Falkirk out of League 1 next season but he needs to accept this season's failure and learn from it or I fear he'll just end up going down the same road again.

Henderson is not a centre half. If him and Donaldson re team at CH then we will just face the same issues as we have this season defensively. Just doesn't solve the problem at all. For a guy of Hendo's size, he is rancid  in the air. 

Edited by glasgow_bairn

4 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

If we're looking at anyone from League Two I'd hope it's Matty Yates at Stenny. May have better options than us though.

He’s away back to rangers. Could offer for a season long loan if we wanted him. 

5 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Jordan Allan ragged dolled him in the 3-3 game at NDP. Everyone on here wanted him out of there.

The first Kelty away game was the one for me. Him and Donaldson calamitous at the back with their passing about in close quarters, and Higgy having a field day physically with Hendo.

7 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I've seen lots of Falkirk fans say similar things to this - basically criticising McGlynn for liking to play with 1 up front. I don't get it, the implication seems to be that this is some kind of flaw in his management. The vast majority of teams these days play with 1 up front - not least the team who put 7 goals past you last week. Very few managers play 2 up front anymore, he's hardly in some minority in preferring one central striker. Indeed, if he loved playing 2 strikers you'd probably get folk calling him a dinosaur.

I'm not saying 2 up front can't work, and I'm certainly not saying that McGlynn doesn't have other flaws worthy of criticism. I mean signing Jordan Allan for a team that play with one striker is a bizarre move. However the fact that he likes to play with one striker in itself is hardly worthy of criticism. That is the way that most successful teams play these days.

Point absolutely taken, however there’s a couple of points specific to us.

One is the absolute inflexibility of McGlynn around this, and his unwillingness to change formation to adapt to circumstances on the pitch.

The main one for me though is having the right players to play the formation.  We had the attacking midfielders to play the 3, which can be seen in the number of goals Kennedy and Morrison had.  But we never had a right focal point striker.  Oliver would drop way too deep and never really played as a striker, and Burrell hated playing as a lone back to goal striker.  That’s not his game, and he admitted as much early on.  Alegria was much better suited to that role.

FWIW I think that’s why we signed Wright, as an attempt to have that type of player.  Shame that it appeared he’d never seen a football before.

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Offer him the chance to play actual, relevant football. Offer Stenny some fucking....bibs or cones or something. 

Is there any substance in the Yates story or is it just a rumour ? He certainly gives flexibility as can play wide, in behind or striker.

He would also bring the enthusiasm of youth which we lack.